Celiac.com Sponsor:

Celiac.com Sponsor:

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

FeedIndy

Another Is This Dh Question

My 17 month old was diagnosed celiac in October after failure to thrive, constipation and allergy tests due to "hives" after certain foods. She has been gluten free ever since, but occasionally gets a rash on her cheeks. We can't seem to connect it to food, but cross contamination is not out of the question as we do eat out and tend to buy mostly mainstream products as opposed to dedicated gluten free items.

The rash is bright red on both cheeks, pimply and sometimes blistering. It doesn't seem to bother too much in that she messes with it, but she is often crankier than usual when it appears. Does it sound like DH or at least something connected to gluten? She also still has trouble with meat so I'm wondering if we are dealing with something else in addition to celiac.

Any input is appreciated!

I took her to the doctor today and got my answer. She has been very tired and lethargic still, even after 6 months gluten free. I was suspecting anemia since she doesn't eat iron-fortified breads, cereals or meat. He had her tested and she is not officially anemic, but is on the low end for iron and B12.

He also diagnosed the rash as a zinc deficiency. We now have a multivitamin that should fix all her problems. I'm so glad to have an answer as I keep second guessing everything I feed her, worried I have missed something with gluten. A little Desitin (zinc oxide) on the rash and it is nearly gone!