This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Panic Attacks?

dirtdiver

dirtdiver Newbie

Does anyone on this board suffer from panic attacks? I have recently begun suffering from them and I am wondering if there is any correlation between them and Celiac disease. If anyone has any information I would appreciate hearing about it. Thank you.

Becky

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

lonewolf Collaborator

I used to have anxiety attacks that I thought were heart or thyroid problems. It took a while before I realized what they were. I would get chest pain, dizziness, etc. I haven't had even one since going fanatically gluten-free. I don't technically have Celiac though - just VERY gluten intolerant.

Guest Eagle

I got really panicky and paranoid when I had vitamin B deficiency. It might help to take some supplements. Maybe you haven't been absorbing them properly.

luckygfme Rookie

I've had really bad panic attacks in the past. THe "OMG I'M DYING THIS IS MY LAST MINUTE ON EARTH KIND". They seemed to go away more or less after going gluten free though, even though i do occasionally have like swings of anxiety.

jerseyangel Proficient

I used to get panic attacks--but at the time I didn't know what they were.

They would almost always happen at a restaurant--I'd order, maybe start eating or having a drink, and I'd get nauseous, dizzy, hot and paniky. It would be like my whole body would just freeze up, and I had to get out of there. More than once, I would have to leave and wait outside or in the car while others were finishing their meals.

This started more than 20 years ago.

I have not had one since going gluten-free. I also almost never eat out anymore ;)

UR Groovy Explorer

Yes,

I had considerable anxiety and occasional panic attacks before. There didn't have to be an actual reason for my body to go into panic mode - it would just happen - at the strangest times. The anxiety dropped off immediately after I cut the gluten. It's huge in my life. I've never known what calm actually felt like until now.

dionnek Enthusiast

I have a question - what would be considered a "panic attack"? Before my dx, from the time of puberty, I would have dizzy spells/black outs and I'd get shaky and sweaty, then, about 2 years ago, I had 2 spells where I got all sweaty and dizzy and shaky and then started vomitting and D for about 12 hours (both times started while I was in a restaurant so we thought I had either food poisoning or a 24 hr bug). Then I was dx with celiac a year ago and haven't had any of these attacks UNTIL yesterday, when we our plane was landing, all of a sudden I was naseuas (sp?) and dizzy and couldn't breath and tears were streaming down my face, for about 5 plus minutes, then I was ok for about 10 min. and it happened again, this time worse. Happened 3 or 4 more times then the 4th time my arms and legs started tingling and my fingers and toes went numb. I would have thought I was having a heart attack (but no chest pains) or going into labor (29 weeks pregnant, but no contractions). Called my ob on call and he said to go lay down (that's what I was trying to do but stuck in traffic!) and drink lots of water and see if it stopped. ONce I was home it got better, but when I tried to go to bed my head was still spinning and I have some slight wierd feelings today - kind of like dizzyness but I don't feel like I'm going to pass out.

Does any of this sound like a "panic attack"? My husband wanted to go to the hospital, but I just wanted to go home. Now I'm wondering if I had a stroke or something!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

num1habsfan Rising Star

I still get panic attacks quite a bit, seem to be more after gluten-free..but then again, most of my panic attacks come from seeing crumbs lying around (I'm a veryyyy sensative Celiac!). but i do panic a lot more, if people make me upset too much or something or bring up a really sensative subject...it goes to the point i basically have an asthma attack over it, too.

~ lisa ~

Guest epiphany
Yes,

I had considerable anxiety and occasional panic attacks before. There didn't have to be an actual reason for my body to go into panic mode - it would just happen - at the strangest times. The anxiety dropped off immediately after I cut the gluten. It's huge in my life. I've never known what calm actually felt like until now.

This sounds like me, I had anxiety my whole life. I had no idea how much my mind was racing before and I'd never experienced relief until about three days off of gluten. Now when I get glutened I have anxiety attacks where my skin turns red my breath gets really short and I feel like it's the end of the world. It's terrible.

Archived