This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

In A Slump...need Advise

LoveBeingATwin

LoveBeingATwin Enthusiast

Lately I haven't been feeling the greatest about my self, let alone how I feel internally. I went clothes shopping this weekend and I almost wanted to cry. I had to give up after trying on only two shirts. Nothing fit. I didn't want to try a bigger size becasue I was too upset.

Another thing that is REALLY bothering me and I am REALLY embarrased to say, but I noticed that I have some stretch marks on my stomach and I am not even pregnant. Phew..that took a lot say. I am mortified. I did gain weight in the beginning and then lost almost 8 punds but now I am stuck not only with the excess weight but also with stretch marks. What do I do? Now I'll need advise on how to get rid of stretch marks!

I have posted about my weight a couple of times just because I get so frustrated but I am getting to the point where it is now getting to my self eteem. I honestly don't know what to do. I am also having the bid D every so often. I get to the point where I am afraid to travel. I get such a stomach ach and the big D I have to stop and use the restroom, and if you are traveling with others that can really be embarassing. I am so limited as it is when it comes to food, but what gives? I am thinking of going on a bland diet, any suggestions? I was thinking maybe apple sauce, white rice. I feel like my guts are in knots all the time.

I could go on and on but I won't. I would appreciate any suggestions. Thanks

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Lisa Mentor

here it is.

Nic Collaborator

Kimberly,

I don't have much to offer you as far as advice on your health problems but you sounded so down I felt I needs to respond. I think everyone goes through these times and thank God they do pass. I believe that stretch marks fade over time as well. As far as weight loss is concerned, take it one day at a time instead of making a long term plan. Sorry I can't help more, cheer up :P .

Nicole

Ashley Enthusiast

Breathe. Take a deep breathe. Hold it for 5 seconds. Exhale slowly. Now, I'm in the same boat in a way. I shift between pants sizes because of bloating. It gets me extremely frustated because I'm worried to buy clothes because I don't know if they'll be to loose on me the next day.

My advice is to re-examine your food income. Not how much you eat, but, rather you are 100% sure that everything that you eat is gluten-free. If you have the least a bit of doubt, take it out of your diet for a while. Those problems may becoming from hidden gluten. It could never hurt to try shifting your diet around. I plan on doing that to see if that can help my bloating issue.

Don't worry about the embarassment of having to go to the bathroom. The folks traveling with you can deal. It's your health we're talking about here. Everyone has problems with their health.

Let me know if I can doing anything for you.

-Ash

Ursa Major Collaborator

Kimberley, I have been unable to lose weight for a long time, due to adrenal and thyroid problems. This is my advice: Don't worry about the stretch marks, wear those cute tankinis or a really snazzy one piece bathing suit this summer, and nobody will know. Stretch marks aren't the end of the world. And really, they will fade. Since you can't make them just go away, you will have to accept the fact you have them, wear things that hide them and move on.

These days you can get beautiful clothes in larger sizes. I refuse to look like a lot of overweight women, with spandex pants and tight shirts that show off every roll and make you look twice as big. I wear beautiful clothes, a lot of the pants with elastic waist to accommodate bloating or shrinking, and they will still fit fine either way, and loose shirts.

I never look as fat as I am, and whenever I tell people how much I weigh, they don't want to believe it, because I know to dress in such a way that I still look good. And the most important thing is that when I know I look nice I feel better about myself.

So, go back to the store and tell yourself, "No matter what size I need, I am beautiful!" And get whatever size fits comfortably. And I mean comfortably. Because nothing feels worse than clothes that are too tight on you (because you bought a size smaller in the hope of losing weight ......... I used to do that, and it sucks), and nothing LOOKS worse, because it shows off your worst points, not your good ones.

Get something in your best colour, that really flatters you. Be fashionable, be confident! I am sure you will look gorgeous. And if ANYBODY will say things like, "It is okay, but would look even better if you would lose weight" (my husband's standard remark whenever I get something new), DON'T LISTEN, because they will be WRONG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Have you eliminated dairy and soy from your diet? They could cause your remaining symptoms.

Nic Collaborator

Not to mention womens clothing sizes are rediculous. You can fit is one size with one brand and then you buy that size without trying it on from another brand and it is too tight. There seems to be no uniform. Don't even look at the size. Buy what feels good on you and then cut out the tags so you never have to even see the size again.

Nicole

LoveBeingATwin Enthusiast

Just wanted to say Thank You! I really appreciate all the advise that you guys gave me. Everything that you guys said is so true. I will stop being so hard on myself and I WILL find cute things to wear that makes me feel good about myself. I was thinking about giving shopping another try this weekend. I will keep you postes.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

kbtoyssni Contributor

Scar fading cream (like Mederma) or cocoa butter will help fade stretch marks, too.

It took me a long time to get over having to buy a larger size in clothing. Once I got past the number, I started to feel fabulous because my clothes fit well and I looked so much better. I also felt so much more confident when I wasn't worried about my clothes looking too tight.

Archived