Celiac.com Sponsor:

Celiac.com Sponsor:

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Emily1728

Still New To This And Need Advice Please

I'm still trying to understand what I'm going through and was hoping someone could explain. I started having problems back in November, pains before a bm then turned into urgent and painful bm's within a few weeks. After a colonoscopy, the doctor diagnosed me with lymphacytic colitis but wanted to do more tests. A blood test for celiac came back negative but before I got the results I started the gluten free diet and felt better within a week. But still, more tests. I had an endoscopy to biopsy the small intestine, which came back normal. I'm wondering if the colitis has anything to do with gluten or if I may just have a gluten allergy that might go away. I haven't been able to find much that links colitis to gluten, was wondering if anyone else is in this situation. Thanks for any advice...

~Emily

I'm still trying to understand what I'm going through and was hoping someone could explain. I started having problems back in November, pains before a bm then turned into urgent and painful bm's within a few weeks. After a colonoscopy, the doctor diagnosed me with lymphacytic colitis but wanted to do more tests. A blood test for celiac came back negative but before I got the results I started the gluten free diet and felt better within a week. But still, more tests. I had an endoscopy to biopsy the small intestine, which came back normal. I'm wondering if the colitis has anything to do with gluten or if I may just have a gluten allergy that might go away. I haven't been able to find much that links colitis to gluten, was wondering if anyone else is in this situation. Thanks for any advice...

~Emily

Dear Emily,

Gluten intolerance is permanent. You will have to remain on the diet the rest of your life. Colitis is related to Gluten Intolerance and Celiac. It is frustrating, because this is such a big change. However, it is not as complicated once you get in the swing of things. My problem is, I share a kitchen with two inconsiderate people who could not care less if I get sick. Yesturday, my father glutened my safe baking sheet. Now I have to get another! :angry: He said I could just wash it. He said that I should not leave it laying around (I had just finished cooking and placed it on top of the stove to cool.)

I have something that should help you.

I have a list that should really help. This is overwhelming. I went through this with myself six months ago. You spend most of your day cooking and cleaning obsessively. The rest you are on the phone with reps from companies trying to find out what is safe. I decided to save you the trouble!

1. There are a number of things in the regular grocery that are safe. Some things are labeled already. Wal-Mart's Great Value brand has numerous things you can eat.

2. For the love of God use Coupons on items you are allowed to eat. People can get them and print them out online even. Call some of the local stores and ask if they accept online coupons.

3. Check the ads online and in the newspaper. You would be surprised how many people do not do this.

4. Some items like rice flour and rice noodles are safe to buy at the Chinese or oriental market. The merchants are more than happy to help you if you cannot read the label.

Now, here is my list of great things to get you started:

Condiments:

Smart Balance Margerine

Crisco Shortening

Crisco Oil

Pompeiian Olive Oil

Great Value soy sauce

Heinz Ketchup

Lea & Perrins Worchestershire Sauce (all Lea & Perrins Products are safe)

Sweet Baby Ray's Barbecue Sauce

Kraft French Fat-Free Salad Dressing

Kraft Thousand Island Fat-Free Salad Dressing

Pace Picante Sauce

Ortega Salsa

All Classico Red and *White sauces

All Jif Peanut Butters including Smooth Sensations

Welch's Grape Jelly

Cool Whip*

Philadelphia Cream Cheese*

Miracle Whip

Daisy Sour Cream (fat-free, low-fat, regular)*