Celiac.com Sponsor:

Celiac.com Sponsor:

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

jerseygrl

Dusting Flour Substitute Recommendation

I am making my specialty dish for the first time since the girls have been gluten-free. Its Cog Au Vin (chicken in wine sauce)

Now, I usually dust the chicken in flour first. I think I am still going to do that, just switch the flour.

The first step is to dust the chicken with flour and then brown in butter.

Any recommendations? In my pantry is:

Potato flour

Rice Flour

Tapioca Flour

Basic Baking Mix

Would one of these be better than the other, or are there other recommendations?

Thanks!

I usually use corn starch with good results, just don't use too much or you will have a mess on your hands. The end result is similar to using wheat flour, but taste is a little different. I want to fry chicken coated in Arrowroot starch/powder one of these days, but I have been too chicken to try it..... Arrowroot is the best thickener for soups and gravys, even better than wheat flour. Good luck.

I usually use corn starch with good results, just don't use too much or you will have a mess on your hands. The end result is similar to using wheat flour, but taste is a little different.

I'll be using salt and pepper to when dusting. Do you think corn starch will taste significantly different, or just slightly?

I would use the baking mix or corn flour, if you have it.

I used Zatarain's fish fri for some fish and it is just corn flour....it turns out very nicely. We have used baking mix (Pamela's) for dusting chicken before.

Good luck! :)

I make fried chicken and fish with brown rice flour, and I can't tell any difference in taste or consistency from regular wheat flour. Fries up nice just as wheat flour does.

Best wishes to all!

I'll be using salt and pepper to when dusting. Do you think corn starch will taste significantly different, or just slightly?

If it is just dusting, not a total drench, I think if you notice any difference in taste it would be slight. I think most Chinese restaurants use corn starch when frying chicken, that is the taste difference I am talking about. I guess I would describe the difference as it being more of an onion ring batter breading taste (minus the onion) than regular flour fried chicken taste. I have found that it still gets crispy, but it will not brown as much as regular flour, but it will brown. I think as long as there are other flavors working in the dish (like a good flavorful sauce), the corn starch will not drasticially change anything as it is a mild flavor to begin with. I have found that the other gluten-free flours/starches add a funny taste, I have yet to find a good combination of flours for frying, then again I am just too darn picky. Jodie

I'd use rice flour or corn starch.

The only reason I'd suggest rice flour over corn starch is that rice flour has a higher temperature tolerance than corn starch. Basically, corn starch can be heated past it's thickening point and be rendered useless, whereas rice flour will act more like wheat flour.

:) Make sure to post the recipe when you're done :D