Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

alexp

Test Results

Hi, I had a celiac panel done and was told it was negative. My results were as follows:

Immunoglubulin A, serum:

IGA 71 (68-378)

Tissue Transglutaminase Ab, IgA

TTG IGA 0.2 (<7.0)

If anyone can let me know I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks so much.

They do appear negative but be aware that false negatives do happen. I am a prime example. Some of the permanent damage to my body might not have occurred if they had told me to try the diet instead of trusting the blood tests (and they did them over and over for years).

Is that first test result for total IGA? If so, it looks like it's pretty low. If you have a low total IGA, the IGA TTG will also come out low regardless of if you have celiac or not, because it means that your body just doesn't produce much of that particular antibody. I would clarify that with your doctor.

I also agree that it's a good idea to try the diet for a while if you have symptoms that point to celiac. Eating gluten free isn't dangerous in any way, and it's always possible that it might help.

Pauliina

Thanks everyone, I am going to the GI today and I will bring my results and ask him about that. Thanks Pauliina for giving me the heads up on that, I appreciate it.

your total IgA is not low. it is within the normal range for the lab that your doctor used. if a person is IgA deficient, it will be obvious. my son is IgA deficient. the normal range for the lab that our doc used was 44-441. my son's total IgA was less than 6.

Thanks everyone, I am going to the GI today and I will bring my results and ask him about that. Thanks Pauliina for giving me the heads up on that, I appreciate it.

Did you ever find out anything at your appt.

paula

He told me that they were fine and that I didn't have celiac, because I wasn't anemic and didn't have diarrhea. He was a nice guy but definitely an old school doctor. But I was having an endoscopy done anyways so he did a biopsy for me which I thought was nice. I just hope the insurance covers it. He said it would but who knows.

definitely old school if he still thinks that you have to be anemic and have diarrhea in order to "really" have celiac disease. my 3 girls were not anemic and only one of them got diarrhea---(and not all the time).