Celiac.com Sponsor:

Celiac.com Sponsor:

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest Paisley

Unusual Symptom Happening

Guest Paisley

Now I know this is going to sound strange, but it is not in my head, and Im wondering if anyone else has this happen to them. I have only recently discovered that I may be gluten intolerant so have started eating gluten free. I am up to week 3 and am feeling somewhat better, however, I have been on holidays in that time and probably ate gluten in the many restaurants I ate in. A symptom that I have had over the years, which happened again while I was away, is my breasts swelling up within a few hours (its not in my head because my bra fits differently). Anyway, I havent experienced this symptom in a while, and the other night I had a gluten filled biscuit (long story) and a few hours later, my breasts were bigger. I think I develop fluid retention all over, but I notice it most in my breasts. Has anyone experienced this, or am I alone on this one??

Also, does anyone have their hormones affected by gluten because I have severe estrogen dominance (too much estrogen and not enough progesterone) so am on a great natural progesterone cream prescribed from my naturopath, but would rather figure out why I have this imbalance. Could gluten affect hormones as well???

Thanks in advance for all your wise advice....

Hi and welcome,

I too have this symptom but it is due to water retention. Despite being gluten free I still have edema problems due to other autoimmune issues so I take a prescribed diuretic for this (as needed). Celiac will effect your life in many ways and lots of symptoms you may be experiencing will be due to gluten.

I also had too much estrogen which resulted in severe endometriosis. Symptoms were... severe painful D, cramps, back pain, and fatigue. I eventually ended up with a complete hystoretomy at the age of 28 (I'm 31). I can't even take HRT so I dealt with the hot flashes and menopause :(

My advice is make sure you have a Dr that is willing to work with you. Do lots of reading and research. Make sure you are getting tested properly (blood work, then endoscopy, then go gluten free. In that order). And listen to your body, only you know if you are feeling better. If you're not than ask more questions. Good Luck

God Bless

Jodi

Now I know this is going to sound strange, but it is not in my head, and Im wondering if anyone else has this happen to them. I have only recently discovered that I may be gluten intolerant so have started eating gluten free. I am up to week 3 and am feeling somewhat better, however, I have been on holidays in that time and probably ate gluten in the many restaurants I ate in. A symptom that I have had over the years, which happened again while I was away, is my breasts swelling up within a few hours (its not in my head because my bra fits differently). Anyway, I havent experienced this symptom in a while, and the other night I had a gluten filled biscuit (long story) and a few hours later, my breasts were bigger. I think I develop fluid retention all over, but I notice it most in my breasts. Has anyone experienced this, or am I alone on this one??

Also, does anyone have their hormones affected by gluten because I have severe estrogen dominance (too much estrogen and not enough progesterone) so am on a great natural progesterone cream prescribed from my naturopath, but would rather figure out why I have this imbalance. Could gluten affect hormones as well???

I swell up if I ingest gluten and that's a part of swelling unfortuantely. For me I swell more in the abdomen, but I think that is because that's where the list resistance is due to pregnancy. Maybe that's why it focuses where it does for you as well.

I will be interested to see what others have to say regarding hormones because I have an estrogen dominance as well and have been using a Rx progesterone cream for quite some time now. I've been gluten free for about 6 months now and I don't think I've seen that area improve. Also, I had a hysteroscopy shortly after my gluten induced problems began (triggered by the birth of my third child) and according to the GYN she said my ovaries looked like someone who had used birth control pills for years and I've never taken them. That indicates to me that this was an issue long before my problems with gluten began.

If you look at the thread under weight loss support you'll find a topic called Is This Possible? where people talk about losing weight quickly after going gluten free. Interesting because it looks like edema is a common symptom and for me it was the worst one. I still take meds for it, but I've lost over 30 lbs. of water.

If that happened, I'd have a difficult time staying away from the gluten! :lol:

I am taking Xymogen Dimension 3 for estrogen dominance. I'm really happy with it. You have to get it through a doctor, but perhaps your naturopath can get it for you. I used progesterone cream for years and personally like this better. I bet using the two together would be very effective.

Talk to you naturopath about it and see what he thinks.

http://www.xymogen.com/uploads/images/DRR-005-0305-01.pdf

I found your blog when I was looking for gluten free progesterone creams. I don't experience what you do, but I have used progesterone cream for 8 years (I am 38) and I just found out mine contains gluten. I benefit from it immensely, so I'm looking for some that are gluten free. I, too, have had hormone problems for years. Thanks for blogging this :)