Celiac.com Sponsor:

Celiac.com Sponsor:

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I3Daniel

Rx For Blood Work!

I figured this would happen, but there was really no way around it. I just need some advice about what to do...

I suggested to Daniel, after doing a ton of research, that he might be gluten-intolerant. He wasn't thrilled with the idea, but eventually wanted to try going gluten-free, to see if he would notice any changes. He wasn't able to go to the doctor right away to try for testing because he doesn't have medical insurance. So, about a week and a half ago, we started eating gluten-free, and already he's noticed a difference. We're both really glad we decided to give it a try.

Daniel's brother Mike works at a hospital (as a respiratory therapist, I think), and discussed this whole ordeal with a doctor he knows, and the doctor wound up giving Mike a script for Daniel for a Celiac blood panel. We were so excited! So, we're just going to have to pay for the blood work, which we should be able to handle, especially since Mike said he'd help pay for the testing! Mike is such a great guy, we're soo lucky to have him. I'm so glad at least someone in Daniel's family is taking this seriously and is willing to help!

So, here is the problem...Daniel's been gluten-free for about a week and a half now, not too long. But, he has noticed a difference. He's not thrilled about the idea of eating gluten from now until his test (although he's excited to have bread and fast food!) because he's already getting through some of the withdrawal-like symptoms, and getting used to eating gluten-free, and doesn't want to have to go through it all over again. But, he is willing to do it if it's going to make the test more accurate. But my question is, is a week and a half or two weeks enough to make a test inaccurate? If he can get in by then end of this week, will he still have the antibodies in his blood from two weeks ago? Or, should we put the test off for a couple weeks and load up on the gluten??

After reading so many of your stories, I knew this was a possibility. I realize that a blood test is not the final say, if it comes out negative. I just know that it would be easier for Daniel to strictly follow a gluten-free diet if he has an official diagnosis. Plus, I think for both of us, the effort of it all will seem more worthwhile, and less like something we're just trying out if there's an official diagnosis.

Any insights will be greatly appreciated. Thank you all for your wonderful support.

Sami

I went to my chiro the other day and he had suggested to one if his clients that he gradually back off the grains and he did so gradually over a few months and felt great. So the guy went and got tested and was Celiac so I think you have some time from what I've seen. Maybe Daniel's brother could ask one oft he GI doctors for advice?