Celiac.com Sponsor:

Celiac.com Sponsor:

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Mtndog

Lactose Breath Test

I had a hydrogen breath test last Friday where you drink the lactose solution and they measure hydrogen levels in your breath. I found out I am definitely lactose intolerant, but I've been sick since saturday. I feel like heck!

Anyone else have this happen? How long did it last?

I had a hydrogen breath test last Friday where you drink the lactose solution and they measure hydrogen levels in your breath. I found out I am definitely lactose intolerant, but I've been sick since saturday. I feel like heck!

Anyone else have this happen? How long did it last?

I had the test about two years ago, and I was really sick, but only for about 5-6 hours after I had the solution, if I remember correctly, and I'm pretty severely lactose intolerant.

I used to think I was severely lactose intolerant because milk products made me so sick... but oddly enough the lactose solution didn't have ANY effect on me at all. :blink: I've since figured out that I'm sensitive to casein... apparently more so than to just lactose. Either that or my intestines were just too shocked to react.

I hope you feel better soon...

Pauliina

I'm not lactose intolerant at all, but the solution still made me sick--there had to be something in there that didn't agree with me. I was fine after I woke up the next day though. Hope you feel better soon.

I know this will most likely sound paranoid but..... did they gluten you with this solution? I was recently in for some tests and although they assured me that they had checked everything it was obvious that they didn't. Maybe you could get the name of the solution and the company and check it. I really feel for you. I wasn't sick when I had my endo and colonoscopy done, and I am still fighting back from the glutening almost a week later.