Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

• You've found your Celiac Tribe! Join our like-minded, private community and share your story, get encouragement and connect with others.

💬

• Sign In

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I3Daniel

Kinnickinnick Products

I received my first order of Kinnickinnick products, and it says on the box to freeze the items. I'm just wondering if this is necessary. Will their products spoil easily/quickly? Has anyone had any experience with this?

Thanks for your help!!!!

~Girlfriend of Daniel, we suspect he may have celiac disease/GI

~Gluten & Dairy-free since 4/6/07

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Yes, by all means freeze. The unfrozen life is very short. Take some out a short while before you want to use it.

Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

In the past I have frozen the product. My guess is that the product will spoil quickly especially if there are no perservatives.

Hez

Yes do freeze them, unless of course you want to be a piglet and eat them all in one sitting today! ha :lol:

-Jessica :rolleyes:

Jessica

Gluten Free since 12-31-2002!!

Kansas

Yes do freeze them, unless of course you want to be a piglet and eat them all in one sitting today! ha :lol:

-Jessica :rolleyes:

hi i fereeze my stuff and just take it out and toast it when i need to, if you get a chance to go to edmonton or no some one there they make the best fresh baked goods. there banana loafs are awsome, my hubby will even eat it.

Nadine

mom of 4 great kids - 2 diagnosed with autism and 2 typical kids (thank goodness)

all this started after my hysterectomy in March of 2006

G.F. since Feb 2007

Soy free since April 2007

Blood work was negatvie (after 2 weeks of being on the gluten-free diet)

entrolab results:

Antigliadin 9 (normal <10)

HLA-DQB1 Allele 1 - 0302

HLA-DQB2 Allele 2 - 0502

HLA-DQ 3,1 (subtype 8,5)

carrying one celiac gene and one gluten intolerant gene

nurse at entrolab figures i caught this early and dont eat gluten anymore

life is like a box of chocolates;sometimes you get stuck with the yukky coconut fillet one

yes, freeze, they ship them fresh and then you freeze any pre-cooked prodcut on arrival. Any mixes are fine on shelf. My kids love the frozen pizza crusts, choc chip muffins and cinamon buns.

Sandy

Sandy

Type 1 diabetes - 1986

hypothyroid -1993

pernicious anemia

premature atrial beats

neuropathy

retinopathy

daughter is: age 15

central hypotonia and developmental delay

balance issues (rides an adult 3 wheel bike)

hypothyroid 1996

dermatographia - a form of angioedema 2002

celiac 2004 - by endoscopy

diagnosed Aspergers at age 7 - responded very well (HUGE difference) to gluten-free diet

recovered from Kawasaki (2003)

lactose intolerant - figured out in Oct/06

Gilberts syndrome (April/07)

allergy to stinging insects

scoliosis Jan 2008

nightshade intolerance - figured out April 2008

allergy to Sulfa antibiotics

son is 13

type 1 diabetic - 2003 diagnosed on his 9th birthday

celiac - 2004 by endoscopy

lactose intolerant - figured out Nov/06

I just wanted to add that cookies and cereal don't need to be frozen. I generally buy my flours and mixes in bulk from them and freeze them, but you don't have to freeze or refrigerate the flours if you're going to use them up right away.

~Angie~

Gluten free since May 2004

Yes, freeze it as soon as you receive it. Things have spoiled on me in less than a week, even when kept in the fridge at all times.

~ lisa ~

...Flames vs. Panthers, and Lifehouse, were best experiences OF MY LIFE!!...

...26 years old...

...Look in my forum profile for ways to read my public sports articles...

R.I.P. Uncle Gus (Sept. 21, 1971 - Oct. 2, 2004) ... R.I.P. Baba (Oct. 12, 1911 - Feb. 28, 2006) ... R.I.P. Uncle Lawrence (Aug. 7, 1943 - Jan. 4, 2009)

how long does it take for them to ship it? I get mine at whole foods. but we were thinking of ordering as people here in my family work and I don't drive so I have to rely on them. but i dont want the bread to spoil enroute to my house.

I believe it is a 2 day delivery. It never has arrived spoiled to me. And I do freeze all of the baked goods on arrival.

"Throw yourself a pity-party and you'll be the only guest." - Earlene Fowler

Diag. Celiac Disease by positive blood test 2/03/2004

Allergies - corn, soy, casein, egg whites and wheat

Morphia Scleroderma

Osteoarthritis

Hypothyroid and Hperthyroid

Essential Tremors

Asthma

Migraines

Fibromyalgia - diag. in 1978 when they called it Fibrositis

PAD Peripheral Artery Disease

Angina and Atrial Fibrillation

Gluten Ataxia

Vitiligo

Scoliosis of the spine (caused by malabsorption and it is horribly painful) This would be enough reason for someone to go gluten free.

Ocular Myastenia Gravis

If it spoils enroute, I imagine that you could get a refund. They are very easy to work with. I've never had anything spoil on its way to me. Plus, the bonus of ordering online is that it's $10 shipping to US no matter how much you buy, so stock up. I buy everything I can from them. I really, really like their baked goods. The donuts, bagels, and cinnamon rolls are amazing. Their breads are all very good too. I'm a huge Kinnikinnick fan.

~Angie~

Wow, thank you all for your advice. I'm glad Daniel decided to freeze everything. Except for the cookies, which he ate all of in about 3 days! :) We also got blueberry muffins, bread and hamburger/hot dog buns, so I hope those are good. We have yet to try them.

I placed my order on the 8th, and it arrived on the 13th. I think it took so long because I ordered it on a Sunday, and Easter Sunday at that.

Do their bagels and english muffins taste anything like "regular" bagels and english muffins? I'm afraid to try them because I'm worried that even if they're good they'll taste completely different and Daniel won't like them.

Thanks again for everyone's input!!!

~Girlfriend of Daniel, we suspect he may have celiac disease/GI

~Gluten & Dairy-free since 4/6/07

They probable didn't ship your order until a few days after you placed it, so I doubt it was in transit that long - I think 2 days is the norm.

As far as the bagels and english muffins go - they are good, but definitely NOT like regular ones. I've been gluten-free for less than a year now and used to be a carbaholic, so I still remember the "real" things. I honestly can't eat the bagels - I've tried several different brands and none of them are edible to me. Think I might give the Joan's gluten free that everyone is talking about a call - she apparantely ships the bagels uncooked (in dough form) and then yoiu freeze it and bake them when yoiu want them, so they are fresh.

I do like the Kinnikinnick doughnuts - they taste like "cake" doughnuts that I used to get at Dunkin Doughnuts - don't think there will ever be a gluten-free substitute for Krispy Kreme though!

hi i fereeze my stuff and just take it out and toast it when i need to, if you get a chance to go to edmonton or no some one there they make the best fresh baked goods. there banana loafs are awsome, my hubby will even eat it.

I know what you mean. I love their in-store pies and angel food cakes.

Tapioca intolerant

First cousin dx'd with Celiac Disease

Grandmother died of malnutrition b/c everything made her sick... sounds like celiac to me.

Gluten-free since June 2005

Dx with IBS February 2005

Blood tests both negative (or inconclusive?) for celiac (in 2002 and 2004)

Wow, thank you all for your advice. I'm glad Daniel decided to freeze everything. Except for the cookies, which he ate all of in about 3 days! :) We also got blueberry muffins, bread and hamburger/hot dog buns, so I hope those are good. We have yet to try them.

I placed my order on the 8th, and it arrived on the 13th. I think it took so long because I ordered it on a Sunday, and Easter Sunday at that.

Do their bagels and english muffins taste anything like "regular" bagels and english muffins? I'm afraid to try them because I'm worried that even if they're good they'll taste completely different and Daniel won't like them.

Thanks again for everyone's input!!!

I think the bagels are very similar to regular ones. They're sweeter and the texture isn't exact, but they're very good. I've gotten used to them and I think they're great. They don't fair well with peanut butter though, something about the flavor of the bagel, it just doesn't mix. I like them with lots and lots of cream cheese. I've never had the english muffins.

~Angie~

They say it'll arrive to you in 2 days, but for me it usually takes at least 3. it depends where you live in the country. Saskatchewan is stupid...it goes to manitoba first, and then to Sask..if they make a mistake with the shipping or if it shows up spoiled they usually send you a replacement for free.

~ Lisa ~

...Flames vs. Panthers, and Lifehouse, were best experiences OF MY LIFE!!...

...26 years old...

...Look in my forum profile for ways to read my public sports articles...

R.I.P. Uncle Gus (Sept. 21, 1971 - Oct. 2, 2004) ... R.I.P. Baba (Oct. 12, 1911 - Feb. 28, 2006) ... R.I.P. Uncle Lawrence (Aug. 7, 1943 - Jan. 4, 2009)