Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

holdthegluten

Carnation Instant Breakfast

What carnation instant breakfast are gluten free. I am trying to add some calories into my diet and someone said this would help. Thanks!

28 yr old Male

Diagnosed Celiac in February 2007

Gluten-free/Casein Free

HLA DQ 2,3 Subtype (2,8) I have both celiac genes!

Married

1 child 9 months- Levi

Yeast/Bacteria overgrowth

" CHANGE THE WAY YOU LOOK AT THINGS AND THE THINGS YOU LOOK AT CHANGE"

Wayne Dyer

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

All are gluten free except Chocolate Malt. But a good rule of thumb is to always read the label.

Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

For sure powdered Chocolate, Vanilla and Strawberry, but somewhere in the back of my mind I think you should double check on the already prepared ones.

I'm in Canada, though, I don't know if they are different than in the U.S.

Linda, Mom to Ty (11 years old)

Ty was diagnosed by blood test June 7/05

biopsy Aug 11/05, diagnosis confirmed Aug 18/05

Mom, Dad and big brother Celiac-free.

All are gluten free except Chocolate Malt. But a good rule of thumb is to always read the label.

mg,

Read the label? Why didn't I think of that?

best regards, lm

gluten-free 12-18-06

colonoscopy, upper GI
blood, urine, stool tests, prometheus panel
positive endoscopy/positive duodenal biopsies (severe villous atrophy, high intraepithelial lympocytes)
diagnosed celiac disease by Gastroenterologist Andrew R. Gottesman, 12-18-06

"Sobriety sucks. That's why they invented booze in the first place." Denis Leary - Rescue Me

Beware the chocolate of Chiapa

.....read the label as ingrediencs may change.

Lisa

.....read the label as ingredients may change.

mg,

I wasn't being facetious with you. I was being facetious with htg.

best regards, lm

gluten-free 12-18-06

colonoscopy, upper GI
blood, urine, stool tests, prometheus panel
positive endoscopy/positive duodenal biopsies (severe villous atrophy, high intraepithelial lympocytes)
diagnosed celiac disease by Gastroenterologist Andrew R. Gottesman, 12-18-06

"Sobriety sucks. That's why they invented booze in the first place." Denis Leary - Rescue Me

Beware the chocolate of Chiapa

The powdered mixes mentioned are all okay with, as stated, the exception being the Malt. The last time I checked the Ready to drink were NOT safe, you could check with them though to see if they got smart and changed it.

Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying

"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002

Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis

All bold resoved or went into remission in time with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002

Gene Test Aug 2007

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

I just confirmed this by Carnations website:

All powdered Carnation Instant Breakfast are gluten free (other than Chocolate Malt)

All PRE-MIXED Carnation Instant Breakfast drinks contain BARLY and therefore NOT Gluten Free.

Lisa

I realize this thread is old, but I'm ticked at Carnation right now b/c as I pulled out an IB packet this morning, I read on the package that it's made on equipment that also processes wheat. So if it was fine 3 years ago, why did they have to go and mess it up??!!! That used to be one of my favorite breakfasts and SO convenient!!! (At least I didn't buy it new after my diagnosis thinking it was clean -- this was left over from earlier this year.)

Gluten-free: April 8, 2010

Endoscopy: Severe villous atrophy

Celiac Panel: all 4 positive test results

Symptoms: few to no digestive; unexplained anemia and chronic mouth ulcers

Reluctantly accepting this new reality; aggressively pursuing information and new recipes!!

I realize this thread is old, but I'm ticked at Carnation right now b/c as I pulled out an IB packet this morning, I read on the package that it's made on equipment that also processes wheat. So if it was fine 3 years ago, why did they have to go and mess it up??!!! That used to be one of my favorite breakfasts and SO convenient!!! (At least I didn't buy it new after my diagnosis thinking it was clean -- this was left over from earlier this year.)

It may still be okay for you. Not everyone is so sensitive that they worry about shared lines. If your supersensitive then do avoid it but if not then it may be okay. It has likely always been made on shared equipment but now they are letting us know.

Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying

Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002

Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis

All bold resoved or went into remission in time with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002

Gene Test Aug 2007

I went to buy the powder carnation instant breakfast (chocolate) and the last ingredient listed is wheat starch. So I'm assuming its not safe to drink, right?

Correct, it is not safe for us to use.

Gene Test Aug 2007

I wrote to Nestle encouraging them to remove wheat starch as an ingredient in the Carnation Instant Breakfast powders (as they now ALL contain it according to the labels). I'm not really sure what to make of their reply. It sounds as if they are listing wheat starch as an ingredient but that ingredient is no longer present(?), which is baffling, not to mention confusing and/or misleading. Anyway, I thought I'd share their response with everyone. Maybe you can make sense of it.

"Thank you for contacting CARNATION

I didn't find it confusing at all. Verbose, but clear:

The ready-to-drink ones all contain barley malt, albeit at a very low level (<1 ppm).

The Chocolate Malt powder contains both wheat and barley.

The other powders no longer contain wheat starch, but are made on shared equipment.

CAUTION: Many of the posts in this topic are probably out-of-date.

Peter

Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000. I was retested five years later and the biopsy was normal. You can beat this disease!

Type 1 (autoimmune) diabetes diagnosed in March 1986

Markham, Ontario (borders on Toronto)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator since 2007