Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

zagadka

How Lactose Intolerant Are You?

I have been gluten free for about 2 months now, feeling GREAT. I don't have an official diagnosis ( i don't feel i need closure, but other people in my life seem much more concerned about that than i do...i know you all can relate. very frustrating. I'm so glad that i found this forum!).

My entire family is LI, and I have been lactose intolerant since about age 11. Finding out that it ties in with gluten intolerance/ celiac disease is really interesting to me.

How lactose intolerant are you? What can you eat and how much before you get sick? Do lactose enzyme pills help you? I ALWAYS have them strapped on me at all times, and they help tremendously- but I only take them when i'm out (i don't like taking meds if i don't have to). I can eat ice cream all day with hardly any prob's, but things that are recommended for LI like yogurt hurt my tum instantly.

Our bodies are so odd, aren't they?!

I've always had issues with dairy. I can not have cream and certain really fresh creamy mozzarella cheeses do a number on my system. I seem to tolerate hard aged cheese and goats milk cheese with no problem. Cheddar and others are ok in moderation but if I take in too much dairy too often, it doesn't set well with me. I'm not sure that my tolerance has increased after gluten-free. After I've been glutened I'm more sensitive for a while. I used to take lactaid but for some reason the generic used to bother my tummy. I use lactid milk for cooking. I love to Soytoo whipped cream in a spray can! Yogurt never bothers me. I usually stick to plain or vanilla organic and add my own fruit or fruit sauce. Have you tried other brands? Is it all yogurts that bother you?

I've always had issues with dairy. I can not have cream and certain really fresh creamy mozzarella cheeses do a number on my system. I seem to tolerate hard aged cheese and goats milk cheese with no problem. Cheddar and others are ok in moderation but if I take in too much dairy too often, it doesn't set well with me. I'm not sure that my tolerance has increased after gluten-free. After I've been glutened I'm more sensitive for a while.

What she said.

I can't eat any milk products for dinner or later without feeling some effects. It seems to be less dramatic if I have some cheese for lunch or sprinkled on my veggies for breakfast.

When I first went gluten-free, I couldn't even eat a slice of cheese without taking 2 lactaid pills. Now that I am more than a year in, I only have to take 1 and I usually only do it if I am out OR am eating a large amount of dairy. I still don't drink milk, but really should give that a try again soon.