Celiac.com Sponsor:

Celiac.com Sponsor:

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

annacsmom

Daughter Was Glutened - Need Advice

My college daughter who is extremely careful about eating out, etc, was just glutened by, if you can believe it, wheat berries. She had scrutinized everything in the salad, ingredients, you name it. Unbelievably, they didn't list wheat berries as an ingredient. Well, since she was starving, she gobbled some forkfuls before she realized the berries were in it. She immediately brought it over to the worker and he told her what they were. How completely stupid!! She was SO upset.

Anyway, today she is obviously not doing well. Her symptoms are mostly neurological. She had a test this morning and literally lost her memory. She is exhausted and emotionally crippled. Does anyone know what she can take or do to ease up on these symptoms? She made sure she got 8 hours sleep last night, as she knew this would happen. I've told her to double up on her sublingual B12 and eat really well and drink lots of water. If anyone has any other advice, please help. Her finals are right around the corner and these symptoms can last a long time.

Thanks in advance.

If I accidentally ingest gluten, I IMMEDIATELY take a few activated charcoal pills/tablets. You can buy these at any pharmacy. They help ease the symptoms and shorten my reaction time from DAYS or WEEKS to often just hours or one day.

I buy COUNTRY LIFE 100% pure activated charcoal 260 mg. They contain only the charcoal in a gelatin shell. There is no yeast, corn, wheat, soy, gluten, milk, salt, starch, preservatives or artificial color.

I take a couple of them - depending on how much I ate and how bad my symptoms are. Yesterday, I took 2 after some cross-contamination issues after eating 'out'. I felt bad for a few hours, but symptoms were gone within 4 hours of starting & I am just a little groggy today - but feel pretty normal.

Warning, though: don't take these through airport security unless they are sealed really well. I tested positive for explosives as a result of my bottle of charcoal tablets! Luckily, they understood and let me through eventually - after a 30 minute delay.

Ginger can also soothe an upset stomach, but never really did much for me, since the issues are far greater than just intestinal symptoms.

Kat