This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Scd Diet

Guest AlabamaGirl

Guest AlabamaGirl

Found an older thread with a few doing SCD, and wanted to know if you all are still doing the support group. I thought about starting this when I come back from vacation about the middle of May. Is anyone on this, or has anyone tried it? I'm really interested in your experiences! Hate to waste my time if it's all a hoax. :lol:

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

EG+FC Apprentice

That's really funny because i was thinking the same thing. I plan on starting it the beginning of May. I was looking at the older threads about SCD but then people just stopped talking about it.

Michi8 Contributor

I just took "Breaking the Vicious Cycle" by Elaine Gottshcall out of the library, and am interested to hear how many others are doing the SCD too. AFAIK, it's not a hoax...I'll be reading through the book before I try the diet though.

Michelle

corinne Apprentice

I've been on a variation of the SCD for 1.5 years. So far so good. I have collagenous colitis not celiac disease (which also responds for many with a gluten free diet). Just gluten free didn't work for me, but the SCD does. I still can't tolerate dairy, nuts and allowed beans yet.

EG+FC Apprentice

Well this diet help with a bloated stomach?

Michi8 Contributor
Well this diet help with a bloated stomach?

It should. The point of the diet is to help the gut properly heal.

Michelle

dlp252 Apprentice
I've been on a variation of the SCD for 1.5 years. So far so good. I have collagenous colitis not celiac disease (which also responds for many with a gluten free diet). Just gluten free didn't work for me, but the SCD does. I still can't tolerate dairy, nuts and allowed beans yet.

Corinne, wow, a year and a half already! You've done so very well!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

ReneCox Contributor

I tried this diet for about two weeks minus the homemade yogurt. I too would like to restart it beginning May. It would be great to have a bunch of us do it together...its a very limited diet!

EG+FC Apprentice
I tried this diet for about two weeks minus the homemade yogurt. I too would like to restart it beginning May. It would be great to have a bunch of us do it together...its a very limited diet!

It's true it is a really limited diet but I'm willing to try it because I'm tired of feeling like this. I am always miserable and uncomfortable . At this point I will try anything that will help me. I already set the date that I'm going to start May 5th Yay!!!.....lol

But I have a question, I love cheese and there over 200 types of cheeses how do I know if a certain type is legal? the legal list only list a few cheeses. the one that I am asking about is Taleggio cheese

Guest AlabamaGirl
But I have a question, I love cheese and there over 200 types of cheeses how do I know if a certain type is legal? the legal list only list a few cheeses. the one that I am asking about is Taleggio cheese

I found a yahoo group recently where you could post questions and receive answers regarding SCD. I think the pecanbread.com website links to it. Maybe someone on there knows. From looking at the legal/illegal list, it seems like all cultured cheeses are safe, but I'm not completely sure about that.

corinne Apprentice

I wondered for a while if I needed to still stay on the SCD. Well, I went on a ski trip to Tahoe with a friend 2 months ago and I decided to go off the diet while on the trip because it would be much easier. I got sick which was not fun while on the mountain (I did see a lot of nice trees though :rolleyes: ). It took 6 weeks for the D to settle back down. That's been motivational for me to behave myself and stick with it.

Guest AlabamaGirl
That's been motivational for me to behave myself and stick with it.

ha! Know how ya feel. Corinne, what stage of SCD on you on? I've found a table that helps with introducing foods, but it doesn't include dairy. Do you start out with the yogurt & cheeses??? I know you have to proceed slowly, but curious how you have handled all that.

I am also going to start SCD soon. There are just too many foods that I react to, so I'd love to see if doing this diet can help/heal me. I haven't set a start date yet; we are leaving tomorrow for a couple of weeks vacation. I want to do this right, so I thought I'd order my yogurt maker while I was out of town so it would be home waiting on me when I came back. Please post if you are interested in starting another (newer) support thread. Corinne, we could really use your expertise!

corinne Apprentice

I actually don't eat dairy or nuts. I know that dairy is considered an important component of the diet, but so far I react very strongly to even a teaspoon of yoghurt. A number of people suggest introducing dairy only when you have been free of D for some time, at the minimum a month.

I was up to stage 4 (on the pecanbread website), but going off the diet has thrown my insides into a spin. I finally decided to go back to stage 1 three weeks ago and I've been free of D now for 2.5 weeks. Because I have colitis, not celiac, I probably progress much slower than average and have more ups and downs. I introduce foods one at a time and no more than one every 4-7 days so I can be sure that a new food is ok.

Things are looking up though. I came down with the stomach flu this weekend (I teach and 3 of my students came to class sick last week - arrghhh) and I didn't get D. I had cramps, nausea and a fever, but it looks like that's it.

Mutual support would be great if others are planning to try the diet. It is stricter than most diets, doesn't work for everyone, but it's worth it to feel well if it does work for you.

WakeupNurse Newbie

I got very sick a back in January with intestinal troubles. Lost about 40 pounds within a month, constant D, nausea, couldn't eat or drink, had to have weekly IV's. Doctors said they thought it was celiac (negative blood tests) but I didn't get any better on gluten free diet. Had to go on medical leave because I was so weak...wound up in hospital for 6 days, was so dehydrated I couldn't walk and every system in my body was starting to suffer.

Wound up going on SCD after I got out of the hospital and all of my symptoms went away. really quickly. They're still pretty sure it's celiac, but because it got so out of hand I have basically developed secondary allergies/malabsorption issues. As long as I stay on it I'm pretty good, as soon as I go off of it, I'm feelin it.

The planning and not being able to eat out on SCD sucks but for me it means my life. I'm still working on finding some things that seem to upset my balance lately that I might be missing but at least I feel like I'm starting to live again. A lot of my coworkers have made the comments "i don't think I could do that....that's way too much work...you don't get to eat any real food..." but I think people fail to realize how healthy of a diet it really is and you'll do anything you have to when you've been where I was.

EG+FC Apprentice

I'm glad to know that the SCD Diet has helped you a lot.

I was wonder if you have to have severe D because in every story I read people talking about have D. See I don't have D, I actually have the complete opposite. Is this Diet also good for people with no D?

Michi8 Contributor
I'm glad to know that the SCD Diet has helped you a lot.

I was wonder if you have to have severe D because in every story I read people talking about have D. See I don't have D, I actually have the complete opposite. Is this Diet also good for people with no D?

Yes, it's supposed to be. I really recommend reading Breaking the Vicious Cycle by Elaine Gottshcall. Or at least checking out her website: Open Original Shared Link

Michelle

EG+FC Apprentice

I have the book and have read it from front to back and I checked out the website and other related website. All the storys are about people have D. I haven't started the diet yet but I guess I'll see in a a week when I start it.

Archived