This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Keeping Home Made Bread Fresh?

melly7105

melly7105 Newbie

Hello everyone, i was wondering how you all keep your hm breads fresh? I just made bobs red mill cinnamon raisin bread, and i got the hearty whole grain, and i have made the gluten free pantry my fravotite bread mix.. a few times, a few diff way how they say on the box. i have yet to really come to like the bread... i feel like i can still taste that left out ingredient. but the last one i made we put it in a real bread bag, but it was hard the next day. i know most cookies you can freeze and some breads to.. is this the case.? i mean i really hate the idea of my bread frozen, but it lasts longer. any ideas? what do you do for your breads? thanks, and i hope you all are doing well! :D

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Kaycee Collaborator

Hello Melly

How can you taste that left out ingredient? Lol. I usually think there is something missing.

Keeping it fresh is a hard one. I think our home made breads, whether gluten free or not go harder quicker because there are no bread conditioners in them. Less preservatives. I think any type of bread will freeze. I usually slice it then freeze it. I have to have my first two slices then and there. The worst that happens is that the pieces stick together, so I try to seperate them while they are freezing down. I no longer eat bread like I used to. Usually my frozen bread gets toasted with honey on top. Never for work lunches.

Cathy

TinkerbellSwt Collaborator

Freeze it. I also slice it and freeze them individually, I also dont eat bread like I used to. that is my only solution so far

Fiddle-Faddle Community Regular

I have good luck double-wrapping: I wrap very tightly in plastic wrap, then put in a ziploc bag and suck the air out with a straw.

melly7105 Newbie

thanks those are good. i figured freezing, and fiddle faddle i like that. i have to get some plastic wrap my boyfriend also suggested that. kaycee.. lol i did mean that i can also taste that left out ingregrient. i just made some of bobs browniees too they seem great, im about to bust into them lol. heartlands mac and cheese is my dinner tonight anyone ever have it?

Cheri A Contributor

I also wrap my bread in plastic wrap, and then in a plastic ziplock bag and put in the frig. Sometimes my dd goes through the bread rather quickly if she's in a "sandwich" phase. Otherwise, it lasts a bit longer. I plan on making bread once/week though.

mandasmom Rookie
I also wrap my bread in plastic wrap, and then in a plastic ziplock bag and put in the frig. Sometimes my dd goes through the bread rather quickly if she's in a "sandwich" phase. Otherwise, it lasts a bit longer. I plan on making bread once/week though.

Despite the wide variety of gluten-free breads available--Im guessing that most Celiacs and gluten-free family memebers ismply dont eat all that much bread--particularlly after bing gluten-free for a while..of all things Ive had to learn to substitute I have never really learnid to enjoy gluten-free bread...just sort of doing with out seems to come naturally after a while...i suppose famiies with children use bread a bit more frequently becausse of school lunches..CP

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Guhlia Rising Star
Despite the wide variety of gluten-free breads available--Im guessing that most Celiacs and gluten-free family memebers ismply dont eat all that much bread--particularlly after bing gluten-free for a while..of all things Ive had to learn to substitute I have never really learnid to enjoy gluten-free bread...just sort of doing with out seems to come naturally after a while...i suppose famiies with children use bread a bit more frequently becausse of school lunches..CP

We eat sandwiches practically every day when we're in a sandwich phase. We enjoy the Kinnikinnick breads. They're very good toasted lightly on a sandwich. I actually enjoy them. The Kinnikinnick sandwich bread and the cheese tapioca bread are my favorites. The italian bread is also very good.

irish daveyboy Community Regular
Hello everyone, i was wondering how you all keep your hm breads fresh? I just made bobs red mill cinnamon raisin bread, and i got the hearty whole grain, and i have made the gluten free pantry my fravotite bread mix.. a few times, a few diff way how they say on the box. i have yet to really come to like the bread... i feel like i can still taste that left out ingredient. but the last one i made we put it in a real bread bag, but it was hard the next day. i know most cookies you can freeze and some breads to.. is this the case.? i mean i really hate the idea of my bread frozen, but it lasts longer. any ideas? what do you do for your breads? thanks, and i hope you all are doing well! :D

Hi, my name is David from Ireland, I make my own gluten-free bread from scratch,

i don't use any pre-pack mixes at all.

My bread stays fresh in an air-tight container longer than 3 days, not sure

how long as bread is always consumed in about 3 days.

I post recipes on the Irish Coeliac (Celiac) Web Site.

Here's the link to that bread recipe, please note suppliers/sources in brackets

are required in Ireland to prove that all the ingredients are vetted and are free from cross-contamination.

Open Original Shared Link

Best Regards,

David Harris

Archived