This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

My Favorite Shampoo Has Wheat Amino Acid

TrillumHunter

TrillumHunter Enthusiast

So, as I was getting dressed this am I was reading labels. My shampoo, conditioner and mask all list wheat something in them. I bet you all are going to tell me what I already know.....they've got to go. :( I just bought two new bottles! I need to find out about my beloved pink&green mascara as well.

Sorry to be a whiner. I promise I won't do much of it. My vanity isn't nearly as important to me as health. But I do like to look pretty! :P

Monica

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

jerseyangel Proficient

I hear ya, Monica :D

Unfortunately, it's close to impossible not to get shampoo and conditioner in your mouth as you're rinsing it off. Same with a mask--whether you use it on your face or on your hair.

If your pink and green mascara is Maybelline, it does contain wheat germ oil. I used that brand for years--and loved it. Now I use Smashbox :)

confused Community Regular
I hear ya, Monica :D

Unfortunately, it's close to impossible not to get shampoo and conditioner in your mouth as you're rinsing it off. Same with a mask--whether you use it on your face or on your hair.

If your pink and green mascara is Maybelline, it does contain wheat germ oil. I used that brand for years--and loved it. Now I use Smashbox :)

Oh no, the mascara has wheat germ oil. is that why my eyes keeep turning red every day. I am so mad at myself not to have checked my makeup yet. I have been busy checking my cleaning supplies. Ughh i guess it is time i check all my makeup now.

ALso may I ask what shampoo and conditioner have wheat in them.

paula

who is off to get all her makeup

gfp Enthusiast
Sorry to be a whiner. I promise I won't do much of it. My vanity isn't nearly as important to me as health. But I do like to look pretty! :P

Hey I can't offer make up advice.... I'm a guy and we have different products here anyway...

What I can say is there are lots of products that are safe and honestly if that's your biggest hurdle your doing really well.

It does take time to get used to stuff and find new products but you do find new stuff and mostly its going to be as good or 99% anyway :D

jerseyangel Proficient
ALso may I ask what shampoo and conditioner have wheat in them.

paula

who is off to get all her makeup

Paula,

Honestly, what I do is simply read the label. Most will plainly say "wheat" or "oat". Once in a while, they will use the latin form, but even that, I find, is followed by (wheat) or (oat).

If in doubt, always call the company ;)

That said, there are plenty of safe shampoos--off the top of my head--Most Garnier, Loreal, Thermasilk, and some ShiKai (Everyday Shampoo). Giovanni's line is safe, also. Like I said, just read the ingredients on any that you are buying because formulas do change from time to time.

I'm currently using Thermasilk and am very happy with it.

Paula,

Honestly, what I do is simply read the label. Most will plainly say "wheat" or "oat". Once in a while, they will use the latin form, but even that, I find, is followed by (wheat) or (oat).

If in doubt, always call the company ;)

That said, there are plenty of safe shampoos--off the top of my head--Most Garnier, Loreal, Thermasilk, and some ShiKai (Everyday Shampoo). Giovanni's line is safe, also. Like I said, just read the ingredients on any that you are buying because formulas do change from time to time.

I'm currently using Thermasilk and am very happy with it.

I did contact dove cause i have heard all of there stuff is gluten free and they told me they do not test their products, but it will be labeled if there is wheat in there. So i will be looking at all my dove stuff once i get off of here lol.

I think I will be heading to walgreens tommorow and spending hours finding stuff that i can use.

paula

jerseyangel Proficient

Paula,

A lot of companies don't test for gluten. Dove is a brand that will clearly label any gluten, and a lot of people here use their products. I use their Anti-Frizz Creme, and their bar soap.

Have fun at Walgreens tomorrow--I love those big drug stores--I could spend hours there, too! :D

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Paula,

A lot of companies don't test for gluten. Dove is a brand that will clearly label any gluten, and a lot of people here use their products. I use their Anti-Frizz Creme, and their bar soap.

Have fun at Walgreens tomorrow--I love those big drug stores--I could spend hours there, too! :D

I checked all my dove products, im safe there. But of course i was trying to check my makeup and half of them dont have labels with the ingredients on them. So I am still not sure if im safe there lol. my husband was so cute, he was like i can bring u home some mascara since u cant use the one u have lol. I was like its ok my eyes will just be nekkid today lol.

This walgreens is far from big. I think my living room is bigger then the cosmetic department there lol

paula

GRUMP 1 Contributor

We had some shampoo and conditioner that we did not realize had wheat in it. Untill my scalp started getting sores on it. We have since changed to some thing else and it has not almost cleared up. I dont know how every one else does with it but it seems as though every one so far is fine with it. Maybe I am just an odd ball out...

TrillumHunter Enthusiast
What I can say is there are lots of products that are safe and honestly if that's your biggest hurdle your doing really well.

You know, I feel like I've finally made it over my biggest hurdle! :D I've been "sick" for 13 years. I've chased down so many diagnosis' and had so many tests only to be told they couldn't find anything. I know my story is sadly quite common among people with celiac disease. I have a wonderful husband and the three smartest kids in the world :lol: I am ready to LIVE again! I am ready for my body to feel as full of life as heart and mind do. Maybe it sounds a little corny but I think most of you will understand. And if there were no gluten free shampoos? Well, I'd find a way to look cute in a buzz cut! :P

Life has already been hard! Bring on the good!

ravenwoodglass Mentor
You know, I feel like I've finally made it over my biggest hurdle! :D I've been "sick" for 13 years. I've chased down so many diagnosis' and had so many tests only to be told they couldn't find anything. I know my story is sadly quite common among people with celiac disease. I have a wonderful husband and the three smartest kids in the world :lol: I am ready to LIVE again! I am ready for my body to feel as full of life as heart and mind do. Maybe it sounds a little corny but I think most of you will understand. And if there were no gluten free shampoos? Well, I'd find a way to look cute in a buzz cut! :P

Life has already been hard! Bring on the good!

You got it, love the attitude. I still can't believe I got my body and my life back after so many years. It is so worth the adjustment.

zkat Apprentice

Desert Essence has an entire line that is gluten free. I find it at Whole foods, Central Market, or The Vitamin Shoppe. I love them. Aubrey Organics is also gluten free, but I have very thick hair and the conditioner is heavy and didn't rinse well.

For Make up, I wear Bare Minerals. The stuff rocks, especially since I hate the feel of foundation.

lfij Newbie

ok, do all of you who have posted in this topic have DH? because, if not, if you've read anything you would know that gluten cannot affect you unless you ingest it. so, unless you are sucking on your mascara wand, you are ok, however, i know if you have DH it's a different thing. It's in every book on celiac i own, and all over, and sometimes new people get confused by this and think they need to use gluten-free shampoo and stuff. They don't, it's even in the living without magazine , they explained that if you don't have DH it is a big celiac myth.i only say this, because, when i was a new celiac, and came to this board, alot of people are worriers, and alot of things are said without further explanation and are not exactly accurate and confused me, i.e. if you have DH you should worry about this, or even sometimes someone would be talking about something referring to having to be casien free, and i just wanted some clarification on this one.

I do have DH, that is why i have to worry. I also tend to rub my eyes alot so the mascara would get on my hands then i lick my fingers(bad habit). or go eat soemthing and still have the mascara on my hands, so in many cases i would still be digesting the mascara, or lotion or other non eating things.

paula

lfij Newbie
I do have DH, that is why i have to worry. I also tend to rub my eyes alot so the mascara would get on my hands then i lick my fingers(bad habit). or go eat soemthing and still have the mascara on my hands, so in many cases i would still be digesting the mascara, or lotion or other non eating things.

paula

ok, that i can understand! I also think when i have kids i will worry about things like these because although i may not drink shampoo, or eat mascara, i've known toddlers who manage to eat almost everything lol.

SunnyDyRain Enthusiast

For the past 7 years, I've been having thin, thinning hair. I've started to use 10-12 dollar bottles of shampoo and condtioner to make my hair "thick".

It's just been getting worse and worse!

I look at it last week... Wheat in it!

So the thing i've been trying to do for the past 7 years to make my hair thick, has been hurting it! (ironically 7 years ago is when I started to get unexplained D)

I went and bought shampoo condtioner this week, 1.50 a bottle, CVS brand.

Bah... i feel so crappy about posioning myself and wasting money.

sansglutengrl Explorer

I just want to add in here that Suave will also clearly label wheat. I've switched to Dove because it's fabulous, but when I first went gluten-free I was addicted to the Suave shampoos. they are super cheap and honestly, I didn't notice any difference between Suave and the fancy expensive stuff. Just wanted to provide another option.

:rolleyes:

little d Enthusiast

Hi, Monica and Paula

I could never were mask on my lashes because it always bothered my eyes. For me it felt like i had fumes blowing in my eyes, so i rarely or never were the stuff including all make-up I just never wanted to take the time, even before I meet my husband. My husband doesn't care much for the stuff . Never occured to me that make up had Wheat of Gluten.

Later, Donna from TX

Archived