This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Less Overwhelmed...but A Few More Questions

Amanda Thomas

Amanda Thomas Rookie

So its been 2 weeks since we have gotten the Celiac Diagnosis, I think we have adapted very well. I got a new toaster for Kaitlyn Grace's waffles (btw the Vans waffles are awesome!!!) Right now I am still paranoid about her plates, so she is using the zoopals and dora paper ones, which she loves. We have had great success in making cookies, pancakes, brownies and scones with Pamela's Baking Mix. Love that stuff, I bought 6 pkgs at Kroger the other night, we have used it for everything.

Okay now I have a few questions:

1) I have noticed that Kaitlyn Grace is very tired now, she needs a nap and also is sleeping about 11-12 hours a night (and then a 2 hour nap) Is this a sign of concern? Personally I think it is, but not sure if it is a normal phase.

2) Are there any goldfish type crackers out there? That is the one thing Kaitlyn Grace really misses and wants.

3) With the Pamela's mix, what is causing the aftertaste on our cookies and pancakes? Its not a bad taste, just a nutty taste, can I counteract it with anything?

Thank you all so much for your insight and making the gluten free switch easier :D

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

RiceGuy Collaborator
3) With the Pamela's mix, what is causing the aftertaste on our cookies and pancakes? Its not a bad taste, just a nutty taste, can I counteract it with anything?

If the mix you're using is the one called "Ultimate Baking & Pancake Mix", I'm guessing it's the almond meal which you taste. That's a common ingredient in many gluten-free bead recipes. It does help to obtain better texture, but it may not always be needed, depending on what you're making. I suppose my two suggestions might be to use a different mix where possible, and to give yourself time to become more accustomed to the flavor. I'm sure it's no different than someone growing up on buckwheat or sorghum, then being introduced to wheat. New and different tastes/textures will likely seem strange or even disappointing.

I'm sorry I don't have any answers for your other questions, but I'm sure others will.

Congratulations on adapting so well to the gluten-free lifestyle.

JennyC Enthusiast

I have not found any good fish like crackers, but Glutino makes Ritz looking crackers and pretzels. My son really likes both of them. He also likes Cheese flavored Blue Diamond Nut Thins, although they are made in a shared facility.

Sorry I could be of more help.

Nantzie Collaborator

I wouldn't worry too much about the sleeping. My kids get on those cycles sometimes - eating a lot or sleeping a lot. Some of my experienced mom friends say it has to do with growth spurts.

As far as cheese crackers go, I don't know of any at all. I can't believe that they can make such normal tasting pretzels and nobody has come out with a cheese cracker - fun shape or not.

My kids loved goldfish too. I found a way to get them off of it though. Remember that spray cheese stuff - Easy Cheese? Well, the cheddar flavors are gluten-free. I put that on gluten-free crackers (Glutino and Ener-G are favorites around here). It's neat because you can make different shapes, letters, flowers, etc. It's not the same, but it's something that the kids think is neat.

Nancy

Nic Collaborator

We haven't been able to find any cheese type crackers that resemble gold fish crackers either. It might actually be better off because even if someone did make it, it wouldn't taste like the real thing which would leave your daughter even more disappointed. My son really missed apple cinnamon cheerios. So I found a cereal that was apple cinnamon and in an "o" shape and he was very excited. Except that it tasted nothing like what he wanted it to and therefore ended up more upset than he was to begin with. Eventually he made new favorites and now doesn't ever ask about cheerios.

Nicole

Archived