Celiac.com Sponsor:

Celiac.com Sponsor:

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

JodiC

Test Results

I was curious what these test results mean

IGG antibody negative

(tissue transglutaminase) IGA antibody negative

gliadin antibody positive (barely)

When these were done I hadn't even heard about celiac so I was eating gluten (lots of it) everyday.

Shouldn't the test results be alot higher? Since then all bloodwork has been negative. I stupidly did a gluten challenge and the dr didn't even retest the bloodwork, only did a endo. Results on the endo were and always have been suggestive of celiac but says could also be other things causing the villius atrophy. I am so confused. The fact that a strict gluten free diet has produced no change in my health is unnerving, and makes me suspicious. Also, is it possible to have the DQ8 gene and not active celiac? Thanks for any help.

You have villous atrophy and DQ8 and symptoms and a positive blood test?

It is quite rare for other things causing villous atrophy, but in small children, casein allergy is known to cause flattening of the villy in some cases. Also, infection with giardia can temporarily cause a little damage to the villi.

I think it is highly unlikely that you do not have celiac.

Some celiacs do not get better. The villi do not grow out. Also, there are some celiacs that react to casein the same way as to gluten, and get villi damage from it, according to a new finnish study.

(=try to totally avoid all milk products for some months)

Have you been truly gluten-free? Avoiding possibe hidden gluten like shampoos and lipsticks and moisturizers and dog food and bird feed and self-copying paper and paper plates and paper cups? I even react to citric acid and MSG.

nora

You have villous atrophy and DQ8 and symptoms and a positive blood test?

It is quite rare for other things causing villous atrophy, but in small children, casein allergy is known to cause flattening of the villy in some cases. Also, infection with giardia can temporarily cause a little damage to the villi.

I think it is highly unlikely that you do not have celiac.

Some celiacs do not get better. The villi do not grow out. Also, there are some celiacs that react to casein the same way as to gluten, and get villi damage from it, according to a new finnish study.

(=try to totally avoid all milk products for some months)

Have you been truly gluten-free? Avoiding possibe hidden gluten like shampoos and lipsticks and moisturizers and dog food and bird feed and self-copying paper and paper plates and paper cups? I even react to citric acid and MSG.

nora

I never knew paper plates and cups are not gluten free. Does anyone know which ones are safe. We use them all the time, i never thought to look to see if they were safe. Im wondering if that is what got me sick the other day.

paula

jodi---you need to have a total IgA serum test done---if you happen to be IgA deficient, those test results would mean nothing. if the gluten free diet is not helping your symptoms, i think maybe it would be a good idea to contiue to investigate other things that might be causing your symptoms. some people get celiac damage that does not heal, but they are in the minority, most people will heal on a gluten free diet.