Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

party-of-six

New Here. Hope I Am In The Right Place

Hi, I just found this forum and was happy to find somewhere that I could learn so much. I have not yet been diagnosed with Celiac Disease but the more I read, the more I am sure that I have it.

A bit about me. Last year I was plagued with stomach pains, diarrhea. I had an ultrasound and they found gallstones so they took out my gallbladder. It helped for a while. About 5 months ago I had what I thought was the flu. I couldn't keep anything down and was in the bathroom probably 10-20 times a day with diarrhea. It eventually stopped. I didn't go to the doctor at that time because I didn't think I could make it from home to the doctor without needing bathroom. Anyway, for the past 3 years I have been losing my hair. Dermatologist said "Well, you are getting old" (I'm 36) and told me I could try Rogaine, which I didn't. The hair loss is continuing. I've been anemic for over three years even though I was taking iron supplements and eating iron fortified cereals, spinach, red meat. I am constantly tired and my old doctor told me it was because I have four kids. Yes, that probably IS part of my fatigue but I know it's something more than that. he told me I was depressed and put me on Prozac . It didn't help so I stopped. I have horrible insomnia so I am on Ambien. I am constantly bloated, gassy and am plagued with bouts of diarrhea. I am also incredibly nauseated. My doctor ran some lab work and it was "fine". She checked my thryoid, liver, kidney (I think), red blood count, h-pylori and a few others. I went back yesterday complaining of all the same problems so she said I have Irritable Bowel Syndrome and gave me Bentyl (I think that's how it's spelled).

Because of the nausea/bouts with diarrhea I tend to want cereal, crackers, toast which makes me feel worse. I feel so bloated my loose jeans are tight. I'm uncomforable and miserable. I ordered some info on Celiac Disease because to me (and I know I am not a doctor) I know something isn't right.

Anyway, I look forward to learning more here.

Michelle in Northern California

Hi, I just found this forum and was happy to find somewhere that I could learn so much. I have not yet been diagnosed with Celiac Disease but the more I read, the more I am sure that I have it.

A bit about me. Last year I was plagued with stomach pains, diarrhea. I had an ultrasound and they found gallstones so they took out my gallbladder. It helped for a while. About 5 months ago I had what I thought was the flu. I couldn't keep anything down and was in the bathroom probably 10-20 times a day with diarrhea. It eventually stopped. I didn't go to the doctor at that time because I didn't think I could make it from home to the doctor without needing bathroom. Anyway, for the past 3 years I have been losing my hair. Dermatologist said "Well, you are getting old" (I'm 36) and told me I could try Rogaine, which I didn't. The hair loss is continuing. I've been anemic for over three years even though I was taking iron supplements and eating iron fortified cereals, spinach, red meat. I am constantly tired and my old doctor told me it was because I have four kids. Yes, that probably IS part of my fatigue but I know it's something more than that. he told me I was depressed and put me on Prozac . It didn't help so I stopped. I have horrible insomnia so I am on Ambien. I am constantly bloated, gassy and am plagued with bouts of diarrhea. I am also incredibly nauseated. My doctor ran some lab work and it was "fine". She checked my thryoid, liver, kidney (I think), red blood count, h-pylori and a few others. I went back yesterday complaining of all the same problems so she said I have Irritable Bowel Syndrome and gave me Bentyl (I think that's how it's spelled).

Because of the nausea/bouts with diarrhea I tend to want cereal, crackers, toast which makes me feel worse. I feel so bloated my loose jeans are tight. I'm uncomforable and miserable. I ordered some info on Celiac Disease because to me (and I know I am not a doctor) I know something isn't right.

Anyway, I look forward to learning more here.

Michelle in Northern California

Hi party of six, My name is Donna also 36 and as long as i can remember i have had almost the same symptoms but never realized how bad it was until i had my daughter 7 years ago and apparently my sister suffers as well, Her symptoms are a lot worse along with other food allergies and nasel which i'm sure is connected to Celiac. We both had been eating Gluten Free both over weight she lost 30lbs and I lost 14lbs tested while gluten-free and all test were negative. But we responded well to the diet. When the doctor told me that i was negative i started regular food again. All symptoms came back plus the weight that i lost. So after this last test that i did the Pillcam its a pill with a camera in it and it can go where the scopy can't reach. Well i just started the diet again and feeling a little bit better my nausea, stomache does'nt burn as bad, only when i get something that i'm not supposed to have. My poos are alot better. My advise to you is if you are going to get tested the blood workup and the scopes do not start the diet. Then the day you get tested don't wait for the results go to your local health food store Whole Food or Central Market these are my stores. Sometimes the Regular Grocery store will have Gluten Free food, but not a great selection and are priced higher. Your Health food store will be able to help you as well and can provide you with a food shopping list. You can also look on the net for more information to help with everything else. There is a lot of things that you will have to change. I'm trying to change stuff for my husband as well and because he has a family history for stomach problems as he does and won't admit that somthing is wrong. So I hope that this has helped you for now. Later Donna from Arlington, Texas

Welcome, Michelle! It sure sounds like you've come to the right place.

You have a few options to think about.

1) You can continue to eat gluten and insist on getting tested for Celiac (blood work and possible endoscopy). Something to think about with this option is that you might be Non-Celiac gluten intolerant, rather than Celiac, and the tests could come back negative even if you truly do react to gluten. There are lots of people here, including me, that don't truly have Celiac, but we still need to avoid gluten every bit as much.

2) Get tested through Enterolab. For more information on this go to www.enterolab.com .

3) Simply try going gluten-free (and dairy-free for a while too) and see if you improve.

I was told at age 32 that the reason I was so fatigued is that I had 3 young children. I had been diagnosed with IBS about 10 years before that. To make a LONG story short, I changed my diet, got rid of all kinds of nasty symptoms (digestive issues, arthritis to name two) and am doing great now. At 43 I feel better than I did at 25.