Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

holdthegluten

Sugar Or Dairy Causing Morning Exhaustion

Does anyone else feel really tired and groggy after eating a lot of candy, or cereal at night (gluten free). I get these cravings to eat late at night, maybe because i dont eat as much during the day. I always wake up with a head ache, and i feel groggy in the morning. Any thoughts?

I'm betting it's causing problems with your blood sugar. This can happen even if you're not diabetic. Fats, white carbs and sugar in combo or alone can do it. Try to get a better balance throughout the day and/r add some fibre from whole grains or raw veg etc. , lowfat dairy or lowfat protein to your snacks.

I agree about the carbs and sugar, but completely disagree about the fats. Saturated fats (non hydrogenated of course) are essential for every cell of our bodies. I encourage everybody to eat more fats, since most people have fallen victim to the myth that saturated fat is bad for you.

Try eating something high in protein before you go to bed, never anything sugary or high in carbs. And eating cereal for breakfast gives you a poor start to the day, as it won't provide long-term energy but will result in feeling tired within a couple of hours of eating it.

From what you are saying I gather that you might not eat enough high quality food during the day. Add especially more fats and protein to your diet, as well as vegetables and fruit. Limit food high in carbs. Gluten free breads and all other baked gluten-free foods are extremely high in simple carbs and sugars and should not be your staple food, but rather a supplement to your diet or even just the occasional treat.

Dairy could also be a problem. You might have to eliminate it for a while to see if that makes a difference in your well-being.

Ursa Major,

I agree with everything you said and about the fats. I just mentioned it because in my experience with controlling diabetes through diet alone, I had to limit my fats in order to keep my blood sugar in check.