Celiac.com Sponsor:

Celiac.com Sponsor:

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Can someone tell me why TVP is on the forbidden list? I thought it was made of soy. Where's the gluten?

I use it a lot in place of ground meat....

Thanks for the help in advance!

I'm not sure as far as gluten is concerned. The only thing I could think of is CC issues.

TVP is a form of msg due to the way it is processed from what I remember. Check out truthinlabeling.com if you want more info on hidden msg.

I'm going out on a limb on this one...but if I remember correctly, its that TVP is only a problem if you don't know the source (of the vegetable, which, if it is soy, should be fine).

Anyone else have any insight?

Some brands are gluten-free. Bob's Red Mill is and is made in their gluten-free facility.

It is usually made of soy but can be made of other things. Why anyone would want to eat it is beyond me though. *Remembers not so fondly, the large bag of ham flavored TVP my dad bought when I was a kid* Blech!

Can someone tell me why TVP is on the forbidden list? I thought it was made of soy. Where's the gluten?

I use it a lot in place of ground meat....

Thanks for the help in advance!

I am wondering if there are two different kinds? I just bought Bob's Red Mill Brand of TVP and it has their registered Gluten Free symbol on the Package. I have not used it yet but I want to try some recipes for it and see it we like it. I wouldn't use any that wasn't labelled gluten free because of all the contraversy around it.

I'm not sure as far as gluten is concerned. The only thing I could think of is CC issues.

TVP is a form of msg due to the way it is processed from what I remember. Check out truthinlabeling.com if you want more info on hidden msg.

I went to the site but? A couple of years ago I read Russell Blaylock's MD "Excitotoxins" which was a fantastic book on brain damaging substances/excitotoxins like MSG and I will have to check the book for any info on this but how is TVP a form of MSG? I really can't tolerate MSG and just bought some gluten-free TVP. ?????? Please explain. Thanks

Hey

I'm just newly diagnosed and as a vegetarian who uses TVP I've been struggling. I am so glad I came across this forum and this thread...I am going to now look for gluten free tvp by Bob's Red Mill (I'm assuming this can be found in Canada....)

Hey

I'm just newly diagnosed and as a vegetarian who uses TVP I've been struggling. I am so glad I came across this forum and this thread...I am going to now look for gluten free tvp by Bob's Red Mill (I'm assuming this can be found in Canada....)

I think I read a question on how to beef up on protein and I could not reply ; We are mostly vegetarian and to keep up on protein we for example:

We eat a salad with toasted pumpkin seeds -2T is a good boost - I toast my own seeds as they taste better than the toasted salted ones. I just throw them in the oven for 7-8 minutes at 350F

We also sprinkle sunflower seeds and for pasta dishes we love pine nuts. Do you like lentils? I find them easier to create quick meals with. The red lentils will make a soup in a 30-40 minutes. If you want a recipe or any more ideas let me know. It is hard to know what to post - it depends on what one likes but I find getting fiber and protein is important and the nuts and seeds really help here.

I think I read a question on how to beef up on protein and I could not reply ; We are mostly vegetarian and to keep up on protein we for example:

We eat a salad with toasted pumpkin seeds -2T is a good boost - I toast my own seeds as they taste better than the toasted salted ones. I just throw them in the oven for 7-8 minutes at 350F

We also sprinkle sunflower seeds and for pasta dishes we love pine nuts. Do you like lentils? I find them easier to create quick meals with. The red lentils will make a soup in a 30-40 minutes. If you want a recipe or any more ideas let me know. It is hard to know what to post - it depends on what one likes but I find getting fiber and protein is important and the nuts and seeds really help here.

Hey!

YES - I would love some tips and recipes. I have been a vegetarian for almost 7 years, but I admit my recipe base is small and I did rely upon faux meat products that I have discovered are full of wheat gluten in order to beef up the protein. The sunflower seeds on salad is a great idea I just didn't think about. I"d love any recipes related to fiber and protein and I do like lentils!!! THanks songstressc

K-Dawg

Hey!

YES - I would love some tips and recipes. I have been a vegetarian for almost 7 years, but I admit my recipe base is small and I did rely upon faux meat products that I have discovered are full of wheat gluten in order to beef up the protein. The sunflower seeds on salad is a great idea I just didn't think about. I"d love any recipes related to fiber and protein and I do like lentils!!! THanks songstressc

K-Dawg

Here are a couple of recipes; These recipes are filled with fiber ie the lentils and veggees and lots of protein. I have a list of items and apices to stock kitchens with. Let me know if you would like it. These are basic recipes; you can adjust to your tastes. I hope this is clear; I also don't know how much you know so let me know if you have questions.

What to do with Lentils! I like to serve this soup with a homemade cornbread muffin

Rose