Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

larry mac

La Choy, San-j, Eden Soy Sauce

As I'm always recommending the Eden Organic Tamari Soy Sauce, I decided to pick up the La Choy Soy Sauce and the San-J Organic Tamari Soy Sauce for a little taste-off. Battle of the gluten-free soy sauces.

First off, the La Choy is much cheaper than the others. About $1.50 compared to about $3.5 for the San-J and $4 for the Eden. Depending on stores of course.

Well, the price difference really shows. The La Choy has a dull, flat, I'd say rather unpleasant nose. By comparisan, both the San-J and the Eden have bright, freshly brewed, aromatic fragrances. The San-J has an additional, stronger, almost fish like component to it's odor. Not an offputting smell, just a little different.

The La Choy has a softer, more muted flavor. Not a bad flavor, not a very good flavor either. Less salty aftertaste, which unfortunately allows for the dull flavor to be the lasting impression.

Both the others have much stronger flavors. There's an initial blast of fermented soy, followed by a big salty bite. For the life of me I can't tell much difference between the two. They're both very tasty, with excellent qualities.

If you like a milder, less fermented soy sauce, or don't want to pay more than a buck fifty, go for the La Choy. It's comparable in quality and price to a store brand such as Kroger etc.

I give Eden the slight edge over San-J, only by a nose. The Eden has a more agreeable fragrance. Tastewise, they both shine.

If you prefer, nay demand, a full bodied, aromatic soy sauce, and insist on only the highest quality, comparable to the best, Kikkoman, then settle for nothing less than Eden or San-J , price be damned.

best regards, lm

I use LifeSource Tamari Oriental Ginger Soy Sauce. It has an excellent taste! I haven't even seen the other ones around up here, so I really don't have much choice anyway..... :lol:

Karen

As I'm always recommending the Eden Organic Tamari Soy Sauce, I decided to pick up the La Choy Soy Sauce and the San-J Organic Tamari Soy Sauce for a little taste-off. Battle of the gluten-free soy sauces.

First off, the La Choy is much cheaper than the others. About $1.50 compared to about $3.5 for the San-J and $4 for the Eden. Depending on stores of course.

Well, the price difference really shows. The La Choy has a dull, flat, I'd say rather unpleasant nose. By comparian, both the San-J and the Eden have bright, freshly brewed, aromatic fragrances. The San-J has an additional, stronger, almost fish like component to it's odor. Not an offputting smell, just a little different.

The La Choy has a softer, more muted flavor. Not a bad flavor, just not as much of it.

Both the others have much stronger flavors. There's an initial blast of fermented soy, followed by a big salty bite. For the life of me I can't tell much difference between the two. They're both very tasty, with obvious excellent quality.

If you like a mild soy sauce, or don't want to pay more than a buck fifty, go for the La Choy. It's comparable in quality and price to a store brand such as Kroger etc.

I give Eden the slight edge over San-J, only by a nose. The Eden has a slightly more pleasant fragrance.

If you prefer, nay demand, a full bodied, true blood, aromatic soy sauce, and insist on only the highest quality, comparable to the best, Kikkoman, then settle for nothing less than Eden or San-J , price be damned.

best regards, lm

Ok lm, you have just earned the proud position of being our personal gluten free food critic. :P Continue on....I would be interested on your critique on gluten free beer. :D

I never liked kikkoman's, Always used La Choy. I'm glad that La Choy is gluten-free, as well as Low Sodium!

The stronger tastes and added salt would put me off so much!

Thanks for letting me know I'd not like the others if I tried them though!

Ok lm, you have just earned the proud position of being our personal gluten free food critic. :P Continue on....I would be interested on your critique on gluten free beer. :D

I agree. We could use a resident guinea pig - uh, I mean food critic. :D

My favorite soy sauce of the two I've tried (I've never tried Eden) is San-J. It's very Kikkoman-ish.

Nancy