Celiac.com Sponsor:

Celiac.com Sponsor:

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DD and I ate Amy's Tomato organic soup last week - it was delicious and we shared a can of it.

Contrary to my usual practice we also ate a chocolate bar that was sold door-to-door as a fundraiser, chocolate with caramel insides something like a Caramilk bar. Ingredients looked ok to me.

DD was glutened by one of these things - no doubt about it.

Which would you suspect? I'm really hoping it wasn't the soup - her website lists the soup we ate as being gluten-free.... but I see on this website that lots of people have been glutened by Amy's products?

Thanks for your input,

mamatide

I know a lot of people have had problem's with Amy's products. I've personally had problems with some of her frozen entrees.

But I had a can of Amy's tomato soup a few weeks ago and had no problems with it. It was the first time I'd ever tried it and YUM!

Based on my experience, I'd say it was the candybar

-Courtney

Well, the soup has milk, and from your description the chocolate bar does too. What about too much dairy? Does the bar have caramel coloring? I don't see anything too suspect of containing MSG on the soup, but what about the chocolate bar?

Other than that, what about your can opener? Might it had been used on something containing gluten?

Well, the soup has milk, and from your description the chocolate bar does too. What about too much dairy? Does the bar have caramel coloring? I don't see anything too suspect of containing MSG on the soup, but what about the chocolate bar?

Other than that, what about your can opener? Might it had been used on something containing gluten?

We don't have issues with dairy - just gluten. This was a glutening as DD had wet farts for 24 hrs and went through about 20 pairs of underwear :unsure: - her sure sign of having eaten something with gluten.

The can opener should be ok... we don't eat gluten in the house.

I threw out the chocolate bar wrapper because it was a one-off thing. We'll probably try the soup again because it was so good...

Thanks for your input.

I know a lot of people have had problem's with Amy's products. I've personally had problems with some of her frozen entrees.

But I had a can of Amy's tomato soup a few weeks ago and had no problems with it. It was the first time I'd ever tried it and YUM!

Based on my experience, I'd say it was the candybar

-Courtney

Thanks Courtney. I sure hope it was the bar as the soup was so so good!

m.

I haven't had the soups but I had the Amy's gluten free mac and cheese and got very, very sick. A few weeks later I tried an Amy's gluten free pizza and got really sick again. I won't ever buy their products again, that's for sure!

I have had the soup before without problems. I also really like a gluten-free tomato soup that comes in a box container (I think it is Imagine or Pacfic something). Anyway it is clearly labeled gluten-free and tastes wonderful as well.

Hez

I've never had the Amy's soups, but the last 2 times I had the frozen enchiladas I got sick. Not glutened, but I felt sick the rest of the day and had indigestion. The 1st time I figured maybe it was something else and a couple days later tried the other meal I had in the freezer. Same reaction. Personally I'm done with the Amy's meals.

As for tomato soup, I know there are some brands that make delicious gluten free tomato soup (Pacific Foods as Hez mentioned), but I really wanted just plain tomato soup like the Campbell's soup. I found out that Heinz makes a gluten free tomato soup. It's not in the regular soup isle. It's in the isle that has products from England. I bought a can the other day and HEAVEN!!!! Just like the yummy Campbell's tomato soup I remember :)

Perfect with a gluten free grilled cheese sandwich (which I make with my Anna bread).