Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Nic

Food Allergy Testing

As some might remember, my son who has celiac, was taken off dairy about a month ago. Since then he has improved dramatically. No more dark circles, his appetite has increased, and his bowel movements are normal and daily. About a year ago he was given a RAST test to determine if he is allergic to any other foods and it all came back negative. So I have to assume that he has a dairy intolerance rather than an allergy. But, the GI doctor wants me to take him for the skin test for allergies at an allergists office. I really don't want to put him through any more tests because I removed the milk and he is better. It is the only thing I have removed (except for gluten of course) so it has to be dairy. I brought this up to the GI but he is still insisting I go for the tests, what do you think? Had I listened to everyone here who said "take him off dairy" I would have had my answer sooner without the colonoscopy so why go for more tests now?

Nicole

I always thought that both the blood test and skin test were both effective. If he's had a blood test I would think that is sufficient. I have never been allergy tested, but from what I have been told the skin test is pretty painful/itchy and your son would have to hold his arm very still. My son was blood tested and had no food allergies, but tested positive for celiac disease. I would not put him through a skin test, it just seems redundant. It's likely that your son is experiencing lactose intolerance.