This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Gluten Free Poptarts

justme

justme Enthusiast

so has anyone been totally amazing and create gluten free poptarts or toaster strudles?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Guhlia Rising Star

Hmmm... That sounds like a really good project to undertake. I may just have to give that some thought this summer before the baby's born.

Lisa Mentor
so has anyone been totally amazing and create gluten free poptarts or toaster strudles?

Sorry, but why would you want to recreate something that is so awful. :huh: Uhggg, in my personal opinion and taste buds opinion.

Cheri A Contributor

I kind of played around with something awhile ago but it didn't come out very good.

Now I have a pie crust recipe that would probaly come out really well with some raspberry jelly and powdered sugar on top.

blueeyedmanda Community Regular
Hmmm... That sounds like a really good project to undertake. I may just have to give that some thought this summer before the baby's born.

I think this is a good project for you, I bet you can make some out of this world pop-tarts. Judging from the pictures of your other food. Tori will like it too!

kbabe1968 Enthusiast

Ummm....make with the pie crust recipe...please???

:)

I've been looking for one that was a tried and true....if you've got one, you'll be opening a whole lotta doors for me! :D Well, culinarily speaking.

Tritty Rookie

I used to eat a poptart in the car on my way to work all the time. I miss the ease of those! If I could find a poptart I'd be in HEAVEN!!!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

jkmunchkin Rising Star

This is the absolute freakiest thing!!! I didn't see this thread yesterday and actually had a dream last night about how much I would love a gluten free pop tart! I think it was the last thing I dreamed about because I woke up thinking about it.

Weird! Yes so anyone that could come up with that, that would be fantastic! I think in my dream I was talking to one of the people from Whole Foods about it at the vendor fair this weekend in Suffolk.

Mmmmm.... blueberry frosted pop tart!

jerseyangel Proficient
I think this is a good project for you, I bet you can make some out of this world pop-tarts. Judging from the pictures of your other food. Tori will like it too!

Angie--

I'm with Amanda! If anyone can come up with a good gluten-free pop tart, it's you :D

I used to love the brown sugar cinnamon :rolleyes:

Guhlia Rising Star

I'd be so happy if I could have a brown sugar and cinnamon pop tart again!!! Does anyone have a recipe for that style of frosting? That would save me some trial and error time. I'm thinking I can make the crust with a modified pie crust recipe, extra xantham and liquid to keep it from crumbling to bits when you touch it, like pie crust. I'm definitely going to give this a shot. I am SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO craving pop tarts now. And you all know how a pregnant woman gets with cravings!!! :P

blueeyedmanda Community Regular

Brown Sugar was my favorite too!!!! I didn't even toast them, sometimes I would just eat them out of the package. Strawberry was better warm though. In my opinion anyway. I had to have the white frosted strawberry ones.

Cheri A Contributor

Yummy... Brown Sugar ones were MY favorite too!

Kbabe... here's a recipe that I got from someone on here. I'm not good at the search thing so I'm just going to copy what was written... If this is SOMEONE'S recipe, speak up!

"The best gluten-free crust recipe I found that actually compares well with a normal pie crust is the Vinegar Pastry (revised) from th Gluten Free Gourmet by Bette Hagman, with my version of the instructions below.

1 c. white rice flour (I recomment the fine kind you get at Asian markets)

3/4 c. tapioca flour

3/4 c. cornstarch

Note: you could probably substitute a commercial gluten-free flour mix for the above

1 rounded teaspoon xanthan gum (check to see if this is included in your mix)

3/4 t. salt

1 T. sugar

Mix all the dry ingredients above in a medium bowl. Cut in with a pastry blender: 3/4 c. shortening until crumbs are like rice in size, maybe a little smaller.

Mix together:

1 egg lightly beaten

1 T. vinegar

Add these to the flour/shortening until blended. Then sprinkle in, 1 T at a time, 2-3 T. ice water. It may take mlre or less. The goal is to add just enough that you can gather the dough in a ball that doesn't break apart into dry crumbs and isn't wet and slimy. After adding 2 or 3 T., gather the dough with your hands and decide if it needs more. It's aok to squeeze it a little. When all the dry crumbs are incorporated, you're done. Divide it in two and wrap each in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for 30 min to firm it up. When ready to use, roll each outo between two pieces of wax paper or plastic wrap dusted with gluten-free flour. Peel off the top sheet, lay your pie pan on the dough, upside down and centered, then put your hand underneath and flip it over so the dough is in the pan. Pat it into place, then peel off the plastic. Now you can shape the edge and follow your recipe for the filling of choice If you're going to prebake it, use 450 degrees for 10-12 minutes. You can also freeze the balls of dough and thaw them later - they still work fine.

(Cheri's notes ~ I even subbed for egg (1 1/2T water, 1 1/2T oil, 1 tsp. baking powder). I was thinking of cutting it into rounds and then using my PC sandwich thingie to crimp it together for pop tarts.

jerseyangel Proficient
Brown Sugar was my favorite too!!!! I didn't even toast them, sometimes I would just eat them out of the package.

:lol: Me too, Amanda! I loved them right out of the box.

angel-jd1 Community Regular

I saw this thread yesterday and could almost SWEAR there is a thread that exists complete with recipe on this site.........hummmmmmm

angel-jd1 Community Regular
jerseyangel Proficient

Thanks Jessica :) I had seen that recipe, but forgot all about it!

I can't eat legumes, but could sub potato starch for the small amount of bean flour. I'm sure it would work fine.

Now, how do we go about the brown sugar-cinnamon filling :unsure:

kbabe1968 Enthusiast

Thanks for the recipe. I'm not a huge pie person, but my husband is...and he LOVES coconut cream pie...I may try this one! Is it flaky and tender like a real pie crust?

I LOVE pop tarts....I'd be curious to see how the PC Pie Tart thingy would work. mmmmm....I do miss cold strawberry frosted Poptarts and a large Coke....breakfast of champions (well the ones who liked the big D within 15 minutes anyway). LOL :D

Sweetfudge Community Regular

k how's the recipe? i liked the toaster streudel's better...pillsbury or something. i loved the flakey, crispy texture of them :D i'd love to recreate that....

miles2go Contributor
Sorry, but why would you want to recreate something that is so awful. :huh: Uhggg, in my personal opinion and taste buds opinion.

Aw, that one's easy, at least for me: 1) It reminds us of our childhood and all the wretched food that we ate with starlit eyes 2) Coworker has been baking them up regularly for the last couple of weeks in the toaster oven that wafts religiously into my office and 3) It makes the food that we regularly eat taste that much better, after we get over that sugar addiction all over again.

Mango04 Enthusiast

Chebe makes a really good cinnamon roll mix...on the back of the package there's a recipe for fruit tarts, or something like that, which I assume are similair to pop tarts. I made the mix into chocolate cinnamon rolls the other day but I bet it would be really good as pop tarts too. (I'd post the recipe but I threw out the bag and you need the mix for it anyway :))

Lisa Mentor
Aw, that one's easy, at least for me: 1) It reminds us of our childhood and all the wretched food that we ate with starlit eyes 2) Coworker has been baking them up regularly for the last couple of weeks in the toaster oven that wafts religiously into my office and 3) It makes the food that we regularly eat taste that much better, after we get over that sugar addiction all over again.

Pop-tarts, still uggg. I guess that I am among the lucky ones. I never liked bread, pasta nor beer. Pasta tasted like glue. As a child in the 60's, you could not get a pop-tart passed my lips. It was hard, crusty, dry with little fruit flavor. I do think that something like Toaster Streudel (sp) is more appealing. Similar the the first TV dinner that Swanson first came out with now we have all these gourmet frozen entres. I do think that I am aging out of this conversation.

I do hope that others enjoy the refined recipe. :) , but will pass. :)

miles2go Contributor
Pop-tarts, still uggg. I guess that I am among the lucky ones. I never liked bread, pasta nor beer. Pasta tasted like glue. As a child in the 60's, you could not get a pop-tart passed my lips. It was hard, crusty, dry with little fruit flavor. I do think that something like Toaster Streudel (sp) is more appealing. Similar the the first TV dinner that Swanson first came out with now we have all these gourmet frozen entres. I do think that I am aging out of this conversation.

I do hope that others enjoy the refined recipe. :) , but will pass. :)

I need to finish Marion Nestle's "What To Eat" before I read another, but in the meantime, I'm enjoying Laura Shapiro's "Something From the Oven: reinventing dinner in 1950s America". So far, it's about the post-war era, the dawn of white flour, processed foods, the Pillsbury Bake-Off, Poppy Cannon and others and just about everything anti-thetical to us.

I can hardly wait until the end.

Karen B. Explorer
Chebe makes a really good cinnamon roll mix...on the back of the package there's a recipe for fruit tarts, or something like that, which I assume are similair to pop tarts. I made the mix into chocolate cinnamon rolls the other day but I bet it would be really good as pop tarts too. (I'd post the recipe but I threw out the bag and you need the mix for it anyway :))

I found out by accident that if you make the standard Chebe mix and remember to put in the baking powder but forget to put in the chese, it makes a biscuit/scone type of pastry that's very good. I used orange marmelade as a topping and I made some brown sugar-cinnamon ones that were very good. All I did for the brown sugar-cinnamon pastries was mix a lot of brown sugar and cinnamon with some Benecol (a butter substitute) until it tasted right. You want just enough butter or butter-sub to hold it together in the middle of the pastry. Make sure you use a spoon or your fingers to make a depression in the middle of the pastry to hold the filling.

I have a trick I learned with Chebe that really saves time. Dump the Chebe dough ball into a ziploc coated with gluten-free butter flavor cooking spray, squeeze all the air out and close the bag. A quart ziploc works well for roles, breadsticks or scones. A gallon works well for thinner items (like pop-tarts maybe?) or pizza crust. Roll it out to the desired thickness, and cut away the bag on three sides to make a plastic work mat. Cut the dough into the right shapes with a pizza cutter -- squares if you're going to roll them into deli rolls, strips for sticks, triangles for pastries. It really cuts down on the mess and I can get it from package to oven in just a few minutes.

If you experiment, please let us know how it turns out.

DestinyLeah Apprentice

A recipe I found for a Brown Sugar Frosting:

INGREDIENTS:

* 1 1/2 cups brown sugar

* 2 large egg whites

* 6 tablespoons water

* dash salt

* 2 teaspoons vanilla extract

PREPARATION:

Put brown sugar, egg whites, water, and salt in top of double boiler. Put double boiler over boiling water. Beat sugar and egg mixture with electric beater until frosting thickens and holds shape when dropped from beater. Remove from heat and beat in vanilla. Continue beating until desired consistency is reached.

Still looking for one for the egg- free community.

For the filled pastry lovers:

Take the prior pie crust recipe, and cut into squares. Fill with the pie filling of your choice, or sliced baked hard fruits such as apples or pears, or simply slice soft fruits like cherries, peaches, or figs. Place the fruit along the middle of the square, then fold over to form a rectangle. Seal the edges with a fork, pressing along the three open sides. Bake until golden, then cool for several minutes. Frost 1 with two teaspoons of milk (soymilk or water works here, too!) and 1 1/2 teaspoons of powdered sugar. These can be prepped and frozen, then baked as needed. They do not store for more than 24 hours safely once baked.

Turnovers are the same, except you would use triangles, and fold the two bottom corners across towards each other, making a pocket by sealing the bottom seam. Fill the pocket and bake, then drizzle with frosting.

A tip for flaky, yummy pastry dough: add the fats (butter or margarine) when softened to room temp in very small amounts. Dust the area you are working on with gluten-free flour, and roll out your dough. Put a bit of butter down, then fold the dough over and roll out again, adding butter and folding over, then rolling over the dough and repeating. This creates layers that will bake with steam pockets, creating a flaky, award-winning crust.

Have fun creating gluten-free treats! ~ Destiny the Baker

• 1 year later...
hannahp57 Contributor

What would be a good idea for chocolate filling for the pop-tarts. I loved the s'mores but haven't even gotten to try the other chocolate ones. I guess I should have tried them while I still could have. Oh well... Any ideas for a recipe for filling would be great. I have a chebe cinnamon roll mix here and can't wait to try to make the fruit tarts and see how they turn out!

Archived