Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Marjorie

Baking With Gluten Ingredients

I'm the only celiac in my family and I work as a nanny for a "normal" family so I spent a fair bit of time preparing glutenous foods for other people. I am wondering if other ppl normally bake with gluten ingredients? I have only tried one time and it was a bit of a catastrophy (flour EVERYWHERE!) so I pretty much quit cooking/baking when I am dealing with dry flour- I will use those cookie rolls to make cookies, frozen pizzas, etc. When there are other people around I just make them mix up the dough so I don't have to deal with it, otherwise I prefer not to do it. Is this being too careful?

No Marjorie, you're not too careful. In fact, you are not careful enough. You shouldn't even be in the room when others are baking. And flour dust may be in the air for up to 24 hours, and could gluten you several hours later when returning to the kitchen.

Marjorie,

Ursa is absolutely right. Remember that wherever the flour lands (pretty much everywhere!), that surface is then contaminated. You need to be careful to completely wash the kitchen up after the baking.

My household is not completely gluten-free, but I don't have wheat flour in the house at all (or any "regular" dry baking mixes)--way too much of a risk for me ;)