This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Do You Celebrate Your Celiac Diagnosis Day?

gfgypsyqueen

gfgypsyqueen Enthusiast

It seems that my past life was the life that I got to eat whatever I want where ever I wanted. Food was just something that tasted great and I craved different things at different times, like chocolate . . . I never read a label, execpt to look at the fat content and probably buy it anyway. Now after years of being sick and never knwoing what the problem was I found out about Celiacs. After the Celiac diagnosis I go through phases of missing the old days - pre-celiacs.

So I was wondering does anyone else celebrate their diagnosis day? Or am I just a tad crazy :rolleyes: I try to remember the day by going out to eat to my favorite gluten-free restaturant (PF Chang's) and really enjoying a good meal out with friends.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

jerseyangel Proficient

I don't celebrate it, as such, but last year on June 2nd (my first gluten-free anniversary), I did stop and remember how far I'd come and how much things had changed since before I was diagnosed. :)

ravenwoodglass Mentor

Oh yea, it's my other 'birthday'. Being a twinless twin I don't usually celebrate my real one so my Diagnosis day is a day to feel good and treat myself. It will be 5 years 11/20 :)

angel-jd1 Community Regular

Mine is New Years Eve Day.........sooo EVERYBODY celebrates mine :P Didn't you realize that is what the party in New York's Times Square is all about.........my gluten-free anniversary?! ! haha :lol:

-Jessica :rolleyes:

miles2go Contributor

Absolutely! And I got a kind of nebulous dx, so I celebrate that day in September and also the day I went completely gluten-free in January, so I get two days. :) We can eat anything we want, just as long as we know how to substitute.

It is great to feel well!

Partay on!

:D :D :D

celiacgirls Apprentice

Mine was yesterday! I thought I would celebrate but I forgot about it. I take that as a positive since being gluten-free is fading into the background now and is just a part of my life.

happygirl Collaborator

We celebrate it at my house! :) Getting the diagnosis gave me my life back....

This summer will be three years for me! :)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

gfp Enthusiast

??

I don't even celebrate my birthday... if I can get away with it.

Indeed, Im a bit embarassed to say but when I moved I had 5yrs worth of unopened birthday and XMas cards...to throw away.,..

kbtoyssni Contributor
Oh yea, it's my other 'birthday'. Being a twinless twin I don't usually celebrate my real one so my Diagnosis day is a day to feel good and treat myself. It will be 5 years 11/20 :)

I treat mine as a second birthday, too! Why not celebrate the fact that I've got my life back? Last year (my one-year) I had my friends over for a gluten-free dinner.

chocolatelover Contributor

I definitely will--it's only been a couple of months, but I really do feel like the day I went off gluten was the day I regained my life. I feel better now than I have for the past 20 years.

I love the idea of celebrating going gluten free!

:P

aikiducky Apprentice

I don't have a diagnosis, and I don't actually remember when exactly I went gluten free any more. It was somewhere in October or November 2004, but other than that... maybe I should just celebrate for two months straight. :D

Pauliina

mamabear Explorer

Well, considering my biopsy was done on April Fool's Day and the GI didn't tell me he had added a biopsy for celiac disease, so I didn't get the chance to eat one more piece of real birthday cake.... And I thought it was just an extended April Fool's joke....no, I don't celebrate the day. I do however celebrate my heightenned awareness of celiac disease and gluten sensitivity on a daily basis.....personally and professionally.

Generic Apprentice

Nope, I have no idea what day I was diagnosed. All I remember was it was 1988, I was at a restaurant with my mom eating a huge stack of pancakes and she dropped the bomb.

Nantzie Collaborator

I don't, but I think it's a neat idea. Mine was a few days after Christmas '05, not sure exactly when though... Considering my biopsy was in mid-Feb, it's no wonder I had a negative biopsy. :P

By the time Christmas was over I could barely make myself eat any of the "goodies". So I just threw in the towel and went gluten-free because I knew I wasn't eating enough gluten for a positive biopsy as it was. I just couldn't make myself eat it anymore.

Nancy

sugarlust Newbie

you all have such good storys about going gluten free, it makes me feel very positive about celebrating my 1 year anni of being gluten free on the 25th april 2008! (yes went gluten free 2 days ago!)

doctor did 1 celiac blood test and decided i dont have it, apparently i have IBS and anxiety..... but i know i have a history of feeling 'better' after going gluten free in the past (was very young at the time tho and didnt stick with it for long, even tho it it made me feel Heaps better in only 2 weeks! kids eh ;) )

Archived