Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Our doctor told us that our son was tested for genetic markers DQ8 and DQ2 and because the test was negative (he did not have these markers) he absolutely can not have celiac disease.

Has anybody had this test?

How much of a guarantee is this test?

These are the only two KNOWN genetic markers for celiac. They know that they are others because only 85% (I think that's the right number) of biopsy-proven celiacs have DQ2 or DQ8.

That also doesn't mean that he doesn't have gluten intolerance, which is equally as serious as celiac.

There are a lot of people here who had negative or inconclusive test results. Many of us tried the gluten-free diet out of desperation, just to see what would happen. Then lo and behold, we started feeling better and never looked back.

You might want to consider testing through Enterolab. www.enterolab.com They also do a genetic test, but look for all of the genes that are connected to any form of gluten intolerance. It's sometimes nice to know what genes you're dealing with because there's usually someone else here who has the same one.

Really though, trying the gluten-free diet is the only way to know for sure if that's what the problem is.

Nancy

save your money----i can tell you your test results from enterolab already-----they are going to tell you that your son has a gluten sensitive gene.

your doctor is wrong in saying that your son can ABSOLUTELY not have celiac without DQ2 or DQ8, but chances are he probably doesn't have celiac without them----however, he could still be non-celiac gluten sensitive, and only the results of a gluten free diet will tell you that.

Our doctor told us that our son was tested for genetic markers DQ8 and DQ2 and because the test was negative (he did not have these markers) he absolutely can not have celiac disease.

Has anybody had this test?

How much of a guarantee is this test?

I have celiac and i do not have DQ2 or DQ8

paula