Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

gibbscmc

2 Doctors, 2 Diagnosis

I have been sick with chronic diarrhea for 2 months now every single day. Colonoscopy was clear, so my family dr. scheduled an appt. with a GI. Thurs. of last week while at my family dr., he said they had finally found something in my blood work (after checking for giardia, salmonella, and about 30 other things). He said I had an antibody that caused an allergic reaction to gluten and what I had was called, "celiac disease" or "celiac sprue". I was actually relieved to finally have some answers and willing to do whatever needed to get better. Today I saw the GI and he said, "I don't think you have celiac." I have no idea which test was done, I do know it was a blood test, but the results were ">6". He said that was not celiac disease. I asked where my family dr. came up with his info then? I am SOOO CONFUSED. The GI says IBS, most likely, but I am not willing to begin taking up to 3 meds every day if he is not SURE that it is not celiac and could be fixed with a gluten free diet. No additional labs or tests were ordered. I am going to my family dr. tomorrow morning and picking up a copy of the labs for myself. Should I see a different GI? After reading the celiac symptoms (which I had never heard of before), so many things from my life over the past 5 years made SOOO much sense and I was so encouraged about this gluten free diet making my life so much better. HELP!!

Just to let you know, IBS is litterally just a grouping of symptoms. In other words it means there is something wrong with your stomach, but I don't know what it is.

Give the gluten free diet a go, if you feel better you have your answer.

I have been sick with chronic diarrhea for 2 months now every single day. Colonoscopy was clear, so my family dr. scheduled an appt. with a GI. Thurs. of last week while at my family dr., he said they had finally found something in my blood work (after checking for giardia, salmonella, and about 30 other things). He said I had an antibody that caused an allergic reaction to gluten and what I had was called, "celiac disease" or "celiac sprue". I was actually relieved to finally have some answers and willing to do whatever needed to get better. Today I saw the GI and he said, "I don't think you have celiac." I have no idea which test was done, I do know it was a blood test, but the results were ">6". He said that was not celiac disease. I asked where my family dr. came up with his info then? I am SOOO CONFUSED. The GI says IBS, most likely, but I am not willing to begin taking up to 3 meds every day if he is not SURE that it is not celiac and could be fixed with a gluten free diet. No additional labs or tests were ordered. I am going to my family dr. tomorrow morning and picking up a copy of the labs for myself. Should I see a different GI? After reading the celiac symptoms (which I had never heard of before), so many things from my life over the past 5 years made SOOO much sense and I was so encouraged about this gluten free diet making my life so much better. HELP!!

Hi, sound to me like you have a smart MD. I would go to another GI. Who do you know longer? Which Dr do you trust more? What does your gut tell you? But, if you plan to go to another GI, DON'T GO GLUTEN FREE. OR the tests wont come out right. I know one test is called tTg. I am not sure of the others..

Good luck. Lynn

Find a new GI or just try the gluten-free diet. The GI you went to is not good. IBS should stand for "I Be Stumped" (on behalf of the doctor). It is a non-diagnosis. Medications won't help and neither will the diet they recommend. I was diagnosed with colitis and IBS, and first told to eat a low fiber diet, heavy on things like cream of wheat and white bread. Then I was told, no, eat a high fiber diet - lots of bran, vegies, etc. Both made me sicker. I only got better when I eliminated gluten, dairy, eggs and soy.

Unless the doctors you are working with really KNOW about celiac disease, they're going to have a tough time diagnosing it. My suggestion is to try a gluten AND dairy free diet for awhile and see how you feel. You should get relief fairly quickly....within one to three weeks if you are lucky. If the diet really improves things, tell your doctor(s). And find someone who is knowledgeable about celiac disease and gluten sensitivity.

Remember that a person with gluten sensitivity (and no celiac gene) can get just as sick as someone with celiac disease.