Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

eleep

Eating Fish Roe At Sushi Places....

I'm interested in trying a local sushi takeout place and the only problem I can see coming up is that they make an awful lot of rolls with fish roe -- I've already talked to the manager about cc issues, but I'm uncertain about the gluten-free status of fish roe. Does anyone know?

I tried doing a search, but "roe" seems to fall under the search engine's radar since it's only three letters.

Erica

Inconclusive blood test results

Positive Enterolab results

Positive dietary results

gluten-free since 2/10/06

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

What you are talking about is 'tobiko'. I heard that it may be sometimes processed with wheat starch so I avoid. Don't know for sure, though...

When I order a maki roll at a sushi place I always ask for no tobiko and no fake crab (also may be processed with wheat starch), just in case.

Pam

pamelaD is right, the roe is not necessarily in it's natural state, that is it is often processed. The Triumph dining cards for Japanese cuisine list it in the "please check" category.

Me: GLUTEN-FREE 7/06, multiple food allergies, T2 DIABETES DX 8/08, LADA-Latent Autoimmune Diabetes in Adults, Who knew food allergies could trigger an autoimmune attack on the pancreas?! 1/11 Re-DX T1 DM, pos. DQ2 Celiac gene test 9/11

Son: ADHD '06,

neg. CELIAC PANEL 5/07

ALLERGY: "positive" blood and skin tests to wheat, which triggers his eczema '08

ENTEROLAB testing: elevated Fecal Anti-tissue Transglutaminase IgA Dec. '08

Gluten-free-Feb. '09

other food allergies

pamelaD is right, the roe is not necessarily in it's natural state, that is it is often processed. The Triumph dining cards for Japanese cuisine list it in the "please check" category.

Damn. Really? I hate this diet.

The obvious stuff is bummer, but it's this stuff that makes this diet super, super hard.

I need to order the triumph cards.

Geoff

Celiac - Gluten Free since Late December 2006

Positive Dietary response, biopsy, Enterolab

Lactose intolerant - dietary response test only

I agree Geoff. We've been researching it in two languages but it's a slow process for us. The Trimph international pack is helpful not only in restaurants but in planning and shopping and researching dishes that we want to try or bring back.

Me: GLUTEN-FREE 7/06, multiple food allergies, T2 DIABETES DX 8/08, LADA-Latent Autoimmune Diabetes in Adults, Who knew food allergies could trigger an autoimmune attack on the pancreas?! 1/11 Re-DX T1 DM, pos. DQ2 Celiac gene test 9/11

Son: ADHD '06,

neg. CELIAC PANEL 5/07

ALLERGY: "positive" blood and skin tests to wheat, which triggers his eczema '08

ENTEROLAB testing: elevated Fecal Anti-tissue Transglutaminase IgA Dec. '08

Gluten-free-Feb. '09

other food allergies