This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Celiac Smoker

Guest gillian502

Guest gillian502

I recently joined a Celiac support group, and as I got to know the new members, 2 of them revealed to me that they smoke marijuana on a semi-regular basis. I know the risks associated with the drug itself, but being a Celiac, it made me question...is that stuff gluten-free?! These people smoke it using rolling papers, mostly, and there's no where on the web that mentions marijuana and its gluten-free status. I know this is a touchy topic, but I'm so curious if these girls are glutening themselves either with the drug or the rolling papers. Anyone have any clue on this one?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

tarnalberry Community Regular

botanically, I don't think it's a grain - it might be a grass? any botonists around here? :-) so there shouldn't be a problem

Canadian Karen Community Regular

I agree. It is a grass, not a grain.

But the first thing I thought of is the glue in the papers, especially when they lick it after they roll it.....

Karen

crc0622 Apprentice

I think that if they are regularly smoking pot, the question as to whether it's gluten-free or not is kind of irrelevant . . .

Celeste

plantime Contributor

Wheat is a grass, too. The seed is a grain. The glue on the papers might have gluten in it. Honestly, if they are smoking it, I don't think they care that much!

MySuicidalTurtle Enthusiast

Maybe they haven't thought about there being gluten there. People stop drinking beer and other such "bad" habits when they go glutenfree. So, just to say they probably will continue to do since they haven't stopped by now (or smoke it at all) is way off, I think. If it's found that smoking pot is full of gluten they may stop. As of now we don't know if it is and they probably haven't thought about it.

Nadtorious Rookie

You guys got me curious, so I did a little homework. They are from two completely different species-Cannabis Sativa (marijuana) is an herb, whereas Triticum Aesitivum (common bread wheat) or any other Triticum species, are classified as glutenous grains. Marijuana is more closely related to oregano than it is to wheat. There are edible parts of the marijuana plant, like hemp seed (there is a hemp flour out there marketed towrds celiacs as being gluten free).

I agree that the rolling papers would be more worrysome than the smoking material itself. Perhaps they should try glass or metal.

I got my information from these two sites-

Open Original Shared Link

Open Original Shared Link

Peace B)

Nadia

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Thomas Apprentice

Let's have a judgement free area for this discussion.

astyanax Rookie

RIZLA rolling papers are gluten-free. i specifically emailed them about the blue, red and green label kind and they emailed back that there is no gluten in either the gum or the paper. (i use them to roll tobacco, not pot!) i'm not sure if pot would necessarily ever be laced with a wheat product but when it comes to lacing, anything is possible.

unfortunately RIZLA is from the UK - i bought a bunch when i was in the UK and got some with some with loose tobacco in the US but i'm not sure if it's available anywhere. maybe a tobacco shop?

Guest gillian502

Thanks for all the replies. I guess there's no easy answer, is there? :) Seems rolling papers are suspect but the smoke itself isn't.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest DaiseeLove
I think that if they are regularly smoking pot, the question as to whether it's gluten-free or not is kind of irrelevant . . .

Celeste

Not to start a fight, but why is that? Please don't tell me that you don't think a pot-smoker would QUIT if they had to?

Some people drink, some people smoke, some people do neither. Let's not judge based on what people put into their body, legal or not.

Guest DaiseeLove
Wheat is a grass, too. The seed is a grain. The glue on the papers might have gluten in it. Honestly, if they are smoking it, I don't think they care that much!

Grr, again, I don't mean to start a fight, but I can't, for the life of me, think of why a pot-smoker WOULDN'T stop if they were at risk of ingesting gluten. Obviously I'm biased, but I wouldn't hesitate to stop smoking if gluten was involved in smoking. The point is not whether pot is bad for you (it's relatively GOOD for you compared to alcohol!), the point is whether it's gluten-free.

Thomas Apprentice

This forum should be about helping eachother more than judging eachother...

allistar77 Newbie

I have to agree with Daisee also, maybe I am biased or maybe it's just that I choose not to judge people by what they do in their private lives if it's not infringing on anyone else. :D

Guest DaiseeLove
.....not to judge people by what they do in their private lives if it's not infringing on anyone else.

Too bad more people don't agree...if they did, perhaps Bush wouldn't have won today....

Whoops, no politics allowed! :P

flagbabyds Collaborator

I think why gillian502 started this topic was because she wasn't worried about these people smoking she was just cared that they didn't get gluten also. we shouldn't judge these people because the smoke

• 1 year later...
sillyac Newbie

If Celiacs smoke (ready-made cigarrettes) and have no complain for sure the problem of rolling papers (when somink rolling tobbacco) would be about the glue stripe - either cos you pass your tongue on it in order to seal, or/and cos you innale when you smoke it.. any further thoughs?

i'm Really interested in knowing more of this matter but found no easy anwser on the web even after digging for quite a while..

any more help on this topic would be appreciated as i suspect some naughty gluten is hidden behind every slim innofensive rolling paper..

:rolleyes:

elonwy Enthusiast

Rizla papers are gluten-free. I switched to them after getting Gluten reactions from Zig-Zag's. I would recommend bringing up the gluten aspect of the paper, seeing as it took me a while to figure out thats what was doing it. I have found them in many tobacco stores and liqour stores, though I am on the west coast.

I'm going to go out on a big limb here. I smoke pot. I grew up in a society where it was totally acceptable, just like social drinking, and I personally believe its less harmful than drinking ( You don't get many angry pot smokers starting bar brawls, for one :P ), though I also drink.

I think judging people on smoking pot, especially since you don't know them, is like judging someone by the kind of car they drive. Its senseless. Oh, did I mention I support legalization. lol.

gillian502, I commend your concern for your friends, and I would totally bring it up, cause The last place I expected to be glutened from was that.

Elonwy

nogluten- Newbie

Bongs are easier on your lungs. Just a suggestion. :ph34r:

mommida Enthusiast

Any illegal pot is not regulated and could be laced with anything. I've witnessed a girl pass out cold after taking 3 hits. You just don't know what it's laced with or cross-contaminated with. Is it really worth the risk? It is a personal decision with possible legal ramifications.

Laura

elonwy Enthusiast

Anything anyone hands you at a party or that you get from someone you don't know is a bad idea. I personally use medicinal grade and know my sources, so I feel pretty comfortable with what I get.

This is a big reason why I support legalizing it.

Personally, it helps me enourmously when I have glutened symptoms, with the pain, and it settles my stomach (its used with chemo patients to help with nausea).

Everything we do should be an informed choice. I don't think children or teens should do it, but I believe that used responsibly, as with all other things, it is a benefit.

For the record, I am also highly opposed to all other illegal substances ( and some legal ones).

E

• 2 years later...
rkd Rookie
Too bad more people don't agree...if they did, perhaps Bush wouldn't have won today....

Whoops, no politics allowed! :P

:lol: Yes! Good for you DaiseeLove!!

• 1 year later...
GusMck Newbie

Marijuana useage guide by Gus.

no worry about marijuana, it is gluten free. Hemp seeds do not contain any gluten and are a good substitute for flour.

Hemp flour contains major amino acids and oils and is incredibly good for you.

as for smoking marijuana it will not harm you unless you are predisposed to a SERIOUS mental illness in your family.

Keep in mind smoking too much marijuana can cause toxic psychosis which is a temporary form of insanity/psychosis which is not permanent.

Toxic Psychosis is indefinately an overdose and is reachable. It will not kill you, but it can cause disturbed thoughts and hallucinations visual and hearing.

To acheive toxic psychosis you would need to smoke past a threshold, a usual person who smokes it might smoke .5-1g a night, a person with an addiction might smoke 3g's to 7'gs, in this case long term use over a period of 6 months would be a build up to an episode of toxic psychosis.

Keep in mind if you do screw up, and smoke too much and the doctors are blabbing on about skitzophrenia.... do not take it to heart, toxic psychosis is misdiagnosed in about 80-90% of cases as the government does NOT provide enough information regarding it as they use the issue in itself as a scare campaign for marijuana related skitzophrenia, and or psychosis.

If you have a mental illness such as bipolar, or skitzophrenia (which is caused by a salt imbalance in the brain and you are prescribed lithium chloride) I DO NOT reccomend cannabis.

The best forms of cannabis are INDICA for medical applications, Indica cannabis has a lower rate of people developing a temporary form of toxic-psychosis, sativa on the otherhand is notorious for this.

If you live in a state which it is legal to purchase cannabis with a medical marijuana card the PARTICULAR strain you want is called

AFGHAN 1#

or any other PURE indica breeds.

If a pure indica strain is not available please ask the pharmacist for the next strongest indica dominant.

If you do not enjoy smoking it, I advise 'tinctures' or a vapourizer.

But Keep in mind Marijuana Smoke works completely differently to TOBACCO smoke, even though it might contain 'more' carcinogens amazingly there is less of a chance of developing lung related illnesses.

There is not a single case on earth of one person contracting lung cancer from smoking marijuana directly, and the DEA has failed to even provide this evidence when on request.

Keep in mind!

marijuana is not for everyone, it can cause panic attacks in some people particularly the sativa strains.

IF YOU SMOKE IT,

DO NOT USE ROLLING PAPER... the GLUE CONTAINS GLUTEN

I suggest smoking it through a 'perculated bong' made entirely out of glass.

Many people do not understand the difference between smoking it and vapourising it.

A) vapourisation takes longer, and is less narcotic in terms of pain releif but lasts longer (preferable if you need to work or study)

B) Smoking the effects are felt within 2-3 minutes and there is no waiting period in regards to use as it is a combusted material.

C) The effects of a vapouriser are different, more mental than physical and is NOT reccomended for pain releif, it also costs more to use.

D) Smoking generally means you use less, even though 'technically' by vapourising the material you get more THC, BUT the problem is there that the vapours do not go as deep as smoke.

In my opinion I would suggest smoking in fact or eating it.

Vapourisers are only good for using pure straight hash.

GusMck Newbie
Any illegal pot is not regulated and could be laced with anything. I've witnessed a girl pass out cold after taking 3 hits. You just don't know what it's laced with or cross-contaminated with. Is it really worth the risk? It is a personal decision with possible legal ramifications.

Laura

Laura in regards to laced cannabis, this is a myth in 99% of all grass you will ever smoke, in fact it would cost drug dealers MORE money in order for them to lace your weed and selling it at the average going price of the market they would in fact loose money.

If you saw a girl pass out after taking 3 hits it could be in fact a very strong strain of cannabis, the usual strength is rate at approximately 10%, and some strains even go as far as 22%. Ed Rosenthal though was caught with plants though at 30% THC which is probably the strongest known to humankind and in my opinion downright stupid.

So depending on the strength/potency of the strain it also depends on how much you can smoke.

ON THE OTHERHAND the 1% of grass floating around can be laced... most of the time when you do come across this it is laced with speed, or MDMA powder. You will hear myths about growers spraying their crops with morphine.... you can thank the DEA for that myth as 1 bag of morphine would be about $10,000, and the entire value of the crop.

It is just not viable for people to lace their product.

If you are concerned about smoking laced pot, the taste of a 'snow cone' is generally a banana type like flavour, and I advise that if you taste that in the smoke SPIT IT OUT.

• 2 years later...
jad Newbie

I looked some stuff up so I'm going to go ahead and answer this question,

in terms of the paper used for rolling papers there are 3 possible ingredients:

1. Wood pulp

2. hemp flax

3. rice straw

Wood pulp does contains small amounts of gluten. Hemp flax does not. Rice straw seemed to be okay.

Onto the next ingredient. Glue or adhesive. It is possible that gluten can be present within the glue used for adhesive. Most adhesive at that level contain gluten, for instance envelope glue does contain gluten.

So can someone ingest gluten through smoke? Yes however during the energy exchange involved with being on fire some of that gluten will have broken down.

So yes if they are smoking from cigarette level rolling papers they may be ingesting small amount of gluten.

However there are brands of rolling paper made that actually don't make their paper out of gluten containing products. There all also many other ways to smoke marijuana that does not involve inhaling paper smoke for instance, pipe, bong, ingestion, etc.

Vaporizers ask that the only thing the user actually inhales into their body is water, and therefore would be the healthiest option for the consumption of marijuana, a substance that is much safer to a celiac and non-celiac, than alcohol.

So it really depends if these 2 people are being intelligent about their choice. If you know for a fact that they are not taking this into account maybe you should bring it up to them. Vaporizers are getting pretty cheap and mobile.

Archived