Celiac.com Sponsor:

Celiac.com Sponsor:

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

sunshinen

If You Build It They Will Come...

One of the hardest things to cope with when I was new, or when I travel is trying to find places to eat. How often have you wished for a map that would show the gluten-free friendly places nearby??

I'm part of another board that uses a map to show where the members are located. And last night, I realized it's a free tool that we can use too. So I thought it would be great to set one up.

So if you're interested, you can add your favorite gluten-free places simply by entering the address or zip code. If it doesn't go to the exact spot, just close the pop up for placing a marker, zoom in (to the actual building in most cases), and click on the spot.

To make it as useful as possible, when adding a marker, make sure to include the city and state in the name, and the key details such as whether the gluten-free menu is available at the restaurant, if you have to print it out in advance, or if the chefs are just knowledgeable and accommodating in the info.

To read the info for a marker, just click on the marker. If the person putting the info in has added a url, if you click on the title it will take you to the Web site.

http://www.mapservices.org/myguestmap/map/glutenfree

(My last thread on this was deleted because I failed to state that I have no stake, profit, interest, ownership in this site... other than being really excited about the possibility of an easier way to find places to eat. :D)

I think this is a great idea. I hope you do not mind, I am going to share this with the yahoo group that I run and hopefully they can also pitch in and help :) Thanks for getting the idea started!!

-Jessica :rolleyes:

I think this is a great idea. I hope you do not mind, I am going to share this with the yahoo group that I run and hopefully they can also pitch in and help :) Thanks for getting the idea started!!

spread far and wide! if we hit 500 markers, i think we have to make a donation to see more than 500 of the markers at a time (I'm not sure how that will work). but I for one, would be happy to donate to the mapping org that hosts/makes the tool if we can make the resource that robust. :D

spread far and wide! if we hit 500 markers, i think we have to make a donation to see more than 500 of the markers at a time (I'm not sure how that will work). but I for one, would be happy to donate to the mapping org that hosts/makes the tool if we can make the resource that robust. :D

I know that I have one guy on the site who is from Australia and he said he was able to add restaurants in Australia......soooooo if this keeps up we will probably all have to make donations! ha However, that is NOT a bad thing :) What a great resource!! Thanks for thinking of it.