Celiac.com Sponsor:

Celiac.com Sponsor:

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

justme

Gluten Free Careers

I am not sure if this is the right subforum to be posting in.. but I wasn't sure which one to post in.. I am currently really confused about where to go career wise.. I went to school for 4 years and have my BS in Therapeutic Recreation.. I have since decided that this is not for me.. I need a change.. I bust my @$$ for pennies and I don't get very much respect.. I am thinking that I would like to do something to help people who need to be gluten free.. I am not doctor material.. but I was thinking maybe a dietician or nutritionist? wanted to go to culinary arts school but from what I understand it's difficult to do if you cannot have gluten since chefs need to taste their work... any ideas? what could we gluten-un-friendlies need?

Nantzie and Missy's Mom, I like the idea of there being advocates and educators out there working with food handlers etc. What a wonderful idea, I could just about see me filling those shoes, but I don't think I would have the PR skills.

Cathy

what kind of education would one need in order to make a career out of any of these ideas?

If I wasn't so shy :ph34r: in real life, I'd be out there already. I've thought a lot about educating restaurants. One of the issues is I don't know how I'd charge for it in order to make it a business. I can't afford spending that much time on something without figuring out a way to make it a business.

If we could figure out some sort of formula, people could do it as a business anywhere.

Any ideas?

Nancy

I think a registered dietician who specializes in Celiac would be great. I know around here it is a very competitive degree program and there are few positions available after graduating. But, RD's are very respected, however I'm not sure about the pay.