Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

confused

Test Results Are In

Well today I got the results back for my stepson, and all of them came back elevated, but the malabsorption. But he does carry one celiac gene and one gluten gene. So since he does not have malabsorption is that a good thing or bad, or was it cause he was already gluten free for a few weeks prior to testing.

paula

Is anyone else this subtype

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 2,1 (Subtype 2,6)

Im wondering if i should get him a thing here to talk to other teenagers. Does anyone else have their kids on here.

paula

I am glad you now know and can get him feeling better.

Having him come on the board is a great idea. I would not even ask him his screen name so he could feel he has the freedom to ask whatever questions he needs to. Having other kids to talk to could help alot. The more responsible he feels for his diet the better he may comply, if that is even an issue.

Well today I got the results back for my stepson, and all of them came back elevated, but the malabsorption. But he does carry one celiac gene and one gluten gene. So since he does not have malabsorption is that a good thing or bad, or was it cause he was already gluten free for a few weeks prior to testing.

paula

Dear Paula,

I am glad you found out early! Had he waited until later to do the diet, he might have ended up with much worse health issues. It is great he has no malabsorption. That means you got him diagnosed before it was severe. I think it would be a great idea if you could get him to talk to others!

There may be some of his friends who are sick and do not know what to do. This could help people!

Sincerely,

NoGluGirl

Thanks everyone. I am happy that we now know. I am now trying to talk my husband into having the gene test done. I want to know if the celiac gene came from him or my ss mom. I am sure it came from the bio mom since the sister has celiac. But i want to be sure for the sake of the rest of the kids. But he is afraid to find out. So we shall see if i can make him do it lol.

Ok this might be a dumb question but i was wondering, ,since there was no malabsorption does that mean his body was absorbing everything that it was supposed to. Or will he now grow and gain weight from being gluten free. He is very skinny and not as tall as his classmates, and it has made him very sad, so i was hoping maybe being gluten free now that he would grow.

paula