Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest Happynwgal2

Reactions To Med's Because Of Gluten/dairy

Guest Happynwgal2

Since I have hypothyroidism because of my Celiac disase, I am on thyroid meds. Three days ago I switched to a T3/T4 combination, rather than just a T4. Lo and behold, I got sick after taking it - and after trying for three days, I finally gave up. I called the pharmacist, and asked if there is any gluten in this new med, and I was assured there was none. Then I asked for lactose, and bingo!

So now the pharmacy - at a natural food store here in Portland - is making me a lactose free medicine for free. I thought that was great service.

I am learning that because of the gluten/Celiac I am also sensitive to many medications that I thought were "safe". I am more and more into "natural" medications - my new doctor is a naturopath - but even those medications are sometimes not safe for me.

Have anybody else had problems with medications because you are a Celiac? :unsure:

I'm wondering about medication. I decided to go gluten free the beginning of the year. My blood test came out negative, but I do have a little sister that was diagnosed at a year old with celiac. I am wondering if many of my problems are caused because I'm not absorbing medicine properly. I have had so many weird drug reactions. Something that should put you to sleep will keep me awake. I took estradiol for about 5 years and had the pharmacist check to see if it was gluten free. They couldn't guarantee that is wasn't so I went off of it cold turkey. I didn't have any problems going off of it. I'm wondering if I even needed it. This is so frustrating. I have had so many improvements since going gluten free. Now if I can get rid of the yeast problem, I would be so happy.

Guest Happynwgal2
I'm wondering about medication. I decided to go gluten free the beginning of the year. My blood test came out negative, but I do have a little sister that was diagnosed at a year old with celiac. I am wondering if many of my problems are caused because I'm not absorbing medicine properly. I have had so many weird drug reactions. Something that should put you to sleep will keep me awake. I took estradiol for about 5 years and had the pharmacist check to see if it was gluten free. They couldn't guarantee that is wasn't so I went off of it cold turkey. I didn't have any problems going off of it. I'm wondering if I even needed it. This is so frustrating. I have had so many improvements since going gluten free. Now if I can get rid of the yeast problem, I would be so happy.

First: I am sure you already know that celiac runs in families, if your sister has it, you probably do, too, if you improve on a gluten free diet. I have read here that blood tests are often wrong, so just trust your body.

Second: in regard to medications: I have always been very sensitive to them, and now I believe that it has been because of the celiac. When your body goes into "let's get rid of that poison"- ode when dealing with gluten, it also does not absorb many of the good nutrients that we need. And sometimes that may mean that medications are not properly absorbed. I am just asuming this, so if anybody else has more reliable info, please share it.

Re yeast: I have had a lot of problems with yeast. I now eat nothing containing yeast, because every time I do, I get sick. I suspected both lactose and yeast before I knew I had a problem with gluten, so now that I am off gluten, it is easier to "fine tune" the other sensitivies and food allergies that I have.

I am not sure what you need to do to get rid of the yeast. I once used Caprylic acid, but that is hard on your stomach (read: "the runs" if you are not careful), so perhaps people here would come up with some suggestions that are better.

Have you asked your doctor? I have finally started seeing a naturopath - she is good, but expensive since my just about worthless health insurance does not cover that kind of "alternative" care. Some regular doctors are pretty good, though, so I hope you try.

Good luck! :)

I also take synthroid. I know that I have other food intolerances. I am wondering about lactose intolerance myself. Until I read your post I forgot about lactose being in synthroid. I've never been a big milk drinker. I originally went on the diet because I thought I had DH. I've also had many weird rashes over the years. The diet has helped in so many ways. I am going to try taking a probiotic and see if that helps the yeast problem. Diflocan works for a few days but I don't want to keep taking that. My family doctor did agree that even though my blood test came out negative it didn't mean I didn't have it. He keeps giving me things that he finds out about celiac disease. This site has helped me so much. The more I read the more I found how this all makes sense.