Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I am going to be spending up to 2 weeks away from home in the middle of nowhere with my new job. I will sometimes be staying in large camps or hotel rooms. I would love any suggestions on safe canned food or any food I could bring with me. Thanks so much.

How about canned fruit, creamed rice, chickpeas etc. Canned tuna and salmon, baked beans, creamed corn. Corn crackers or rice crackers and maybe a few spreads. Just a few ideas.

Hope you have fun in the middle of nowhere.

Cathy

How about canned fruit, creamed rice, chickpeas etc. Canned tuna and salmon, baked beans, creamed corn. Corn crackers or rice crackers and maybe a few spreads. Just a few ideas.

Hope you have fun in the middle of nowhere.

Thanks, for the ideas!

I am also looking for specific brand names that you have tried and if you had good or bad expriences with them. For example, Heinz baked beans. Thanks.

I can't help you there unless you go via New Zealand to stock up on our food and then go to the middle of nowhere.

Cathy

Carrie:

I'll try ----

B & M Baked Beans

Bushes Baked Beans

Underwood Deviled Ham Spread

Hormel Chilli

Hormel Canned Corn Beef

Dinty Moore Beef Stew

Dole Fruit Cups

Some Thai Instants Soups - add water and zap

Dorrito's - White Cheddar

Lay's Staxx

Jif Peanut Butter w/bananas.. yum

Smucker's Jellies

Jello

Most Canned Fruit

Hormel Pepperoni

Sweet Potatoes, Baking Potatoes - zap them babies

Newmans Salsas

Vienna Sausages (I think?)

Lot of Fresh Fruit

Idaho Potato Flakes

LeSuer Baby Peas

Delmonte Canned Corn

All V-8 Products, including Splash

This is from memory and recent consumption. I am sure that there are many many more. Canned veggies and fruits are less likely to contain gluten than other prepared foods, as you know.

Hope that helps. I am curious where you are going. PM me if you would like.

If you have time, you might want to order this:

http://www.amazon .com/Orgran-Spaghetti-Tom...e/dp/B000EHZZUE

and if you will have access to a stove or microwave...this:

http://www.amazon .com/Orgran-Pasta-Sauce-E...s/dp/B000H6QZG0

Not everyone likes the canned Orgran spaghetti, but I find it pretty good when hungry and stranded in the middle of nowhere (I've actually been known to open the can and just eat it cold :ph34r:) Orgran is an entirely gluten and dairy-free company.

I have also had good experiences with Health Valley On the Go Organic Soups (lentil and black bean flavors) http://www.healthvalley.com/products/microwavablesoups.php although I've never contacted the company and I don't know how safe they really are in terms of cc.

Other than that I rely on Crown Prince tuna, plain chickpeas, pinto beans, black beans, lentils, Corn Thins, peanut butter, Organic Food Bars, Cliff Nectar Bars, Alpsnack Bars and Go Raw products. It might help if you bring along a small bottle of olive oil and sea salt (or other seasonings you like). Sounds strange but it allows you to turn a plain can of beans into a "bean salad" if you're stranded and really desperate for something to eat.

When I go on tour (ballet company stays in hotels), I always pack my own food. Some of my favorites include:

Tasty Bite Madras Lentils (can boil or microwave)-yummy on rice and very filling

Annie Chun's Rice Express (fresh, already-steeamed rice bowls)

GoGo Rice Pre-Cooked Seasoned Rice Bowls, Hawaiian (high calorie for when you're really hungry)

Chicken-of-the-Sea Tuna or Salmon in those flat, mylar packages

Maranatha Peanut Butter

Plain Nuts

Bags of Orgran Muesli

Glutino Breakfast Bars

Dole Fruit Cups

Bumble Bars

LaraBars

Ditto on the Potatoes...I always pack them in my suitcase and get the weirdest looks :D

Annie's Natural Salad Dressings (the gluten-free ones of course)-come in individual serving packs

Plain popcorn and brown paper lunch bags + microwave = tasty treat when everyone else is eating gluten-filled junk (I have yet to start a fire by doing it this way)

Have fun!

Macy

Thanks so much for the suggestions! I will will have to print those lists off and see what I can find here. Thanks again :)

It might help if you bring along a small bottle of olive oil and sea salt (or other seasonings you like). Sounds strange but it allows you to turn a plain can of beans into a "bean salad" if you're stranded and really desperate for something to eat.
That is a great idea! Thanks

Shelton's turkey sticks

Shelton's chicken and wild rice soup

Hormel Beef Tamales

Refried beans (pretty much all brands)

Just Tomatoes brand fruits and vegetables, they're dehydrated

Orgran canned spaghetti

Cooked rice in a pouch, from Trader Joe's

Vienna sausages

Hi Carriefaith

It sounds like a fun job you have.

Dinty Moore beef stew..It is actually tasty

Healthy Request Chicken and Rice soup.

Canned Tuna and Chicken...you can make sandwiches or crackers.

Good luck with the new job.

Hey, that sounds like my job from last summer. My new job for this summer is similar; lots of field work, hotels and camps. My life saver was staying at Super 8's because they have fridges and microwaves. I brought a cooler for the shorter trips and prepared a few suppers, like pasta salads.

Freeze dried gluten-free camping food is good because you just add water.

Thai Kitchen is great for the road.

Clover Leaf or Gold Seal canned fish. I buy the ones that are just fish, salt and water without any added preservatives.

Green Giant and Dole canned veggies and fruit.

Primo canned beans. These are fairly big cans though.

Many Safeway brand canned goods are safe. I just read the ingredients.

Sun-Rype juices are safe.

I'm pretty sure Dole 100% juices are safe.

Hormel Wieners and Beans

Canned, stewed tomatos

Pre-packaged items for lunches...like

Dole fruit cups

applesauce

fruit cocktail

banana chips

canned chicken (NOT chicken of the sea ala Jessica Simpson, actual canned chicken)

canned potatoes (the small white ones.......)

Minute Rice only need 1 cup of water, bowl, and microwave - and voila!

Wow! Thanks for all the replies! You guys are great!

My life saver was staying at Super 8's because they have fridges and microwaves. I brought a cooler for the shorter trips and prepared a few suppers, like pasta salads.
Thanks so much for the tip! I will keep that in mind when we have to stay in hotels.

When I went on vacation, I took along corn tostada shels (packed in my luggage in a rigid plastic box) and cans of refried beans (check label to make sure it's gluten-free. Also took along Nile Spice cup of soups in black bean flavor, red beans -n- rice flavor, etc. I know the bean flavors were gluten-free, but as always, check in case of changes. Another option (although not low in salt) is Hormel chicken and rice, ham and potato, and Dinty Moore Stew in the plastic microwavable trays. Healthy Choice has several canned soups that are gluten-free. You can make chicken salad from canned chicken and small packages of relish and mayo that you can usually get a deli to sell to you. Might want to take some small cans of veggies. Take along Nut Thins or your favorite gluten-free cracker. Plain Fritos go well with the soups.

Apples travel well if you pack them carefully and apples and peanut butter make a great snack or quick meal. Jif has some new snack paks of peanut butter out that's really handy.

K

I know the three we keep on hand are

Healthy Chioce Country Vegetable Soup

Healthy Chioce Chicken With Rice Soup

Healthy Chioce Split Pea & Ham Soup

My hubby likes the Healthy Choice Beef & Vegatable which wasn't gluten-free but they changed and now it is. He still checks the label each time.

Also, Progresso Lentil Soup is gluten-free (last time I checked)

Also, Amy's makes a bunch of gluten-free soups. I started to list them but it's easier to go to their list...

http://www.amys.com/products/category_view...rod_category=14

How could I have forgotten about the Tasty Bites Line? If you like curries, they are great for traveling. If you're going to have a fridge on the other end, add mozzarella to their Kashmir Spinach and it makes a great dip! (another one I've had to chase my co-workers away from)

http://www.tastybite.com/Gluten_Free_Food_s/56.htm