Celiac.com Sponsor:

Celiac.com Sponsor:

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

sillyactsue

Butterfly Rash

Recently my daughter had an odd rash on her face. It wasn't bumpy or itchy and it had no broken skin. It went across and under her nose and onto her cheeks. I described it on the phone to a friend of mine and she couldn't remember what it was in relation to but she thought it sounded like a butterfly rash. I looked it up on line and it is almost always a symptom of lupus.

I called her doctors office and when I described it they wanted to see her that morning. We live four hours away so it wasn't possible so she wanted me to bring her that afternoon. My daughter had the car so that still wasn't possible. When I mentioned that dd had an appointment for the end of next month she moved the appointment to Tuesday. I don't freak out easy but her urgency freaked me out just a little bit.

If anyone has any experience with little ones with lupus please tell me all you know.

Thanks,

Gloria

Recently my daughter had an odd rash on her face. It wasn't bumpy or itchy and it had no broken skin. It went across and under her nose and onto her cheeks. I described it on the phone to a friend of mine and she couldn't remember what it was in relation to but she thought it sounded like a butterfly rash. I looked it up on line and it is almost always a symptom of lupus.

I called her doctors office and when I described it they wanted to see her that morning. We live four hours away so it wasn't possible so she wanted me to bring her that afternoon. My daughter had the car so that still wasn't possible. When I mentioned that dd had an appointment for the end of next month she moved the appointment to Tuesday. I don't freak out easy but her urgency freaked me out just a little bit.

If anyone has any experience with little ones with lupus please tell me all you know.

Thanks,

Gloria

Nicole has had one on and off since last summer, It is bizarre she is seeing a rheumatologist for it and joint swelling( I think the swelling was from insect bites) But a butterfly rash is a sign of lupus, But not the only one There are 12 symptoms if she has at least 4 they will try seeing if she has it. But usually rare in children. There is no specific test for lupus, Even an ANA can be + without lupus. It takes alot of investigating. It also will get brighter or darker in the heat and sun, and may even get lighter or dissapear at times. It too is also autoimmune like celiac.

If the dr is concerned they will probably refer to a rheumatologist, or should because that is the dr that usually deals with it.

I hope it all turns out ok.

Good Luck