• Join Our Community!

Do you have questions about celiac disease or the gluten-free diet?

whattodo

Bodybuilders Diet Advice Please

Rate this topic

Are there any bodybuilder out there who have good diet tips for me? I used to be a keen weight lifter but but after loosing 12 kg im not really sure what the best foods to eat to help gain weight. At the moment i seem to be eating chicken, fish, veg and fruits. I take it i can have jacket potatoes?

Please can someone help (or) suggest some weight gain diets for my training.

Thanks

Jay

As your intestines heal you will gain weight back.

You might add some good fat to your diet -- extra virgin olive oil and coconut oil.

I'm not sure what jacket potatoes are ... but potatoes are fine. So is rice, brown rice is especially good for you. More carbs might help you gain some, but don't cut out the protein, you need it to build the muscle.

Try eating several times per day. I'm sure to eat both before I workout (at least an hour before) and shortly after I'm finished. If you do a lot of cardio, you might cut down on that, too.

When I was trying to gain weight, I tried to choose foods with concentrated calories rather than foods with low calories (like lettuce, carrots, celery).

As your intestines heal you will gain weight back.

You might add some good fat to your diet -- extra virgin olive oil and coconut oil.

I'm not sure what jacket potatoes are ... but potatoes are fine. So is rice, brown rice is especially good for you. More carbs might help you gain some, but don't cut out the protein, you need it to build the muscle.

Try eating several times per day. I'm sure to eat both before I workout (at least an hour before) and shortly after I'm finished. If you do a lot of cardio, you might cut down on that, too.

When I was trying to gain weight, I tried to choose foods with concentrated calories rather than foods with low calories (like lettuce, carrots, celery).

Sorry, over her in uk jackets potatoes are potatoes cooked in the oven with their skin on :) .

Its my favorite meal and have it every day for lunch with tuna and spinach

Sorry, over her in uk jackets potatoes are potatoes cooked in the oven with their skin on :) .

Its my favorite meal and have it every day for lunch with tuna and spinach

We call those "baked potatoes"! They are gluten-free. Do you use butter or some other oil on them? That will add some calories.

I'm assuming you pretty much ate a bodybuilder's type diet before going gluten free. It sounds like you did judging by what you say you eat now. If so, just stick with it. You should start to gain back as your intestines heal up and you begin to absorb everything once again.

I put on 35 lbs in two months since my diagnosis ( and decreased my body fat by 2%), so I know it's possible. Just stick with your fish, chicken, lean meats, sweet potatoes, brown rice, and leafy veggies. Eggs are good too.

Do you use a protein powder supplement? There are many that are gluten free and would be easier to digest at this point for your compromised digestive system. You might want to up your calorie intake for a while also, until you're feeling like your intestines are functioning close to normal again. Good luck

I would suggest getting the book "Scrawny to Brawny" by Mike Mejia and John Berardi. The book contains workout programs and a nutrition plan designed to put on weight. There is a ton of great information. There is a detailed 4 month diet that corresponds to the workout program, and almost the entire diet is naturally gluten free (the only issue is oats, which you could substitute quinoa for). I have done the program twice, so let me know if you have questions.

Coltrane

Hey!

I have been body building for the past 6 months and I've been diagnosed celiac for past 3 months. In the past few months, after going gluten free, I've managed to gain 14 lbs (~6.5 kg).

The key is to increase your calorie intake, increase your protein intake (minimum 100 grams/day if you are trying to build muscle). Also, you should be eating every 2-3 hours, so approximately 5-6 times a day. If you don't eat for more than 3 hours, your body goes into catabolic state where it starts breaking down usually muscle to get energy it needs. Bad news if you are bodybuilding and trying to gain weight.

Did you suddlenly start losing weight? How old are you? Did you have a hard time gaining weight in the past??? The advice I give you is very general - I am not sure what your situation is, so I can't be of more help :(

I'm assuming you pretty much ate a bodybuilder's type diet before going gluten free. It sounds like you did judging by what you say you eat now. If so, just stick with it. You should start to gain back as your intestines heal up and you begin to absorb everything once again.

I put on 35 lbs in two months since my diagnosis ( and decreased my body fat by 2%), so I know it's possible. Just stick with your fish, chicken, lean meats, sweet potatoes, brown rice, and leafy veggies. Eggs are good too.

Do you use a protein powder supplement? There are many that are gluten free and would be easier to digest at this point for your compromised digestive system. You might want to up your calorie intake for a while also, until you're feeling like your intestines are functioning close to normal again. Good luck

Can anyone suggest any good protein powder supplements that are gluten free?

Thanks

Optimum Nutrition has gluten free protein. Are you dairy intolerant? If so, stay away from the whey protein. They have egg protein and soy protein also. I have been into bodybuilding for 10 years. The best way I've found to put on size is to lift three times a week and do 20 minutes of cardio with each workout. That gives you enough cardio to stay lean, but not lose muscle. Also, on the protein, I have alway taken in about 200-250g of protein a day. That is when you are lifting consistently. A good book to read to help you is the Body for Life by Bill Phillips. He has a good system to lose fat and gain muscle. Their are many other ways to do this. This is what has worked for me.

Guest keegans_mommy
Optimum Nutrition has gluten free protein. Are you dairy intolerant? If so, stay away from the whey protein. They have egg protein and soy protein also. I have been into bodybuilding for 10 years. The best way I've found to put on size is to lift three times a week and do 20 minutes of cardio with each workout. That gives you enough cardio to stay lean, but not lose muscle. Also, on the protein, I have alway taken in about 200-250g of protein a day. That is when you are lifting consistently. A good book to read to help you is the Body for Life by Bill Phillips. He has a good system to lose fat and gain muscle. Their are many other ways to do this. This is what has worked for me.

I'm going to be your new stalker :D I have been working out off and on for years but recently found out I am Celiac and cannot have dairy OR soy so finding a good protein drink has been difficult. The only thing I have found so far is a brown rice protein powder from Whole Foods :) Grainy though, ICK!

It's nice to see you say that working out with the weights 3 times a week followed by cardio. I do all of that but a bit more. My weight stays consistent this way but I am always watching other weight lifters and what they do to succeed. :)

Once I found out I had to go gluten-free, I basically followed a Paleolithic diet and got strong quick, but didn't build size as much... how much cardio do you do a week? I lift 5 days, and run M-W-F with S/S off. I found that kept my weight moderate to steady for almost a year. But with all the protein, I increased size slowly, but stregnth quickly. Zero supplements, and zero dairy now, because when I used Creatine or Protein powder, I found my #'s for my kidney's kind of elevated (just due to the Paleolithic diet alone, and they added more)....

However, to start putting some weight on, I went back to some cheese and dairy - though I consider these bad calories, they do work at putting the weight on.

I found that the fattier red meats (steak, etc) helped with weight too.

Cheers.

Optimum Nutrition's label does apprear to be gluten free, but tastes horrible. It's also semi soy based. I'm looking into Iso-Pro and Iso-Lean to be certain that they too are gluten free and taste considerable better and less expensive.

Continue on your bodybuilding diet of high protein, vegetables and introduce high fat to fill you up longer and supply your body with good healthy fats which are good all round for your body.

Good sources include:

Olive oil, coconut oil, 3-6-9 oil, salmon etc.

Good luck and feel free to message us as needed.

B)

Well I have a ? I am 26 and I weight 145lbs and its hard to gain weight . How long after being gluten free will you see and weight gains and can you eat whey when working out is that ok. Can i still make my shakes? I am trying to gain weight I know I only weight that much and also how much weight does normally people gain because I am a small framed guy and I can't gain weight if i tried. A lot of people are like man you are skinny I have a great body just skinny I have big arms but just can't get off the mark of 145. Also will I crave more food because I really can eat like i used to when I was younger.

Thanks

Poohbear

Thanks

are you in uk or the states now? It would be hard to mention brands of protein powder if your brands are not the same.

I would guess to make gains...

Good clean carbs, brown rice, sweet potatoes, gluten-free oats if they are available to you

(and you don't react), cream of rice, grits, quinoa, quinoa pasta, baked (jacket) potato

Lean proteins, whey powder to supplement (if you are not vegan) I have heard about and i am looking into pea protein...low fat cottage cheese, if you are a meat eater, tuna other lean fish (wild caught), lean cuts of meats (beef, chicken, turkey), of course egg whites.

Fats, virgin olive, coconut, nuts, avocado

Best wishes in your gains...just getting back on the fitness wagon myself after numerous surgeries through the years.

Thanks

I love Nectar protein by Syntrax. They claim to be the best tasting protein on the market, and I concur on all of their flavors.

Nectar is 23g protein, 0g carbs, 0g sugar, 0g fat, so it is great for a weight loss or healthy diet.

If you are looking to put on weight they offer a few other options, which I have not tried. I have friends who have tried their other products and also rave about the taste.

A while back, I spoke with Syntrax and they gave me a 40% off coupon code for gluten free people. Send me a message or email and I'll get you that code.