This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

gluten-free Eating In Cape May Or West Cape May Nj

Judyin Philly

Judyin Philly Enthusiast

Hi Guys

We're heading to Cape May NJ for the World Series of Birding Event Mothers Day weekend.

Last year I started this list for Lindalee.

Allot of you added comments and other suggestions that I compiled.

Wish I could remember who wrote what...but if your comments are quoted on this list...thanks!

Looking forward to the trip and would love to try some new restaurants. I hate to have to cook in the home we're staying in b/c the pans etc are not gluten-free- plus who wants to cook on vacation.

Also is anyone has been to any of these places over the past year and they are not gluten-free 'friendly' or have changed hands please feel free to add to the list.

thanks in advance.

Judy

THIS IS THE OLD LIST POSTED LAST YEAR IN OCT

SUGGESTION--I'd call the chamber of commerce and ask for brochures and the Cape May Map. It's a great map for someones first trip.

The * on my list indicates the location of the establishment on the 2006-07 map.

PLACES TO STAY

1. Open Original Shared Link

2. Marquis de Lafayette Hotel. Their restaurant was celiac-aware at that time. The room came with a frig and I packed breakfast and lunch food. (05) on 2006 Cape May Map.

3. The Sea Crest Motel on Beach Ave. at the end of the town. Lindalee like it there last year

4. Two Mile Landing-- advised me they can accomodate gluten-free (Debmidge)

GLUTEN FREE- RESTURANTS

1. The Pilot House (M5)* We used to drive down in the winter just for lunch. The main dining room has a fire place. I've had about 6 meals there and all great and never got sick. ALWAYS take my gluten-free card and even if the waitress doesn know about gluten-free the chef always seems to. They make the ranch dressing on site and is gluten-free and was wonderful.

2. Harbor View Restaurant-(G3) is the area on map. Shows building there but didn't see an add.

609-884-5444

www.harborviewcapemay.com

There is also a Harbor Side Deck Bar for sitting out side. Be sure to ck if it's open. B & L on Sat & Sun

can look out onto the water and watch boats go by. Delicious salad- Ken's ranch dressing. I had a beef filet but think the rub is what made me sick. They need some education but seemed willing. Chef was told nothing on steak but!!! We got there at 5:00 when they opened and were the only ones there. In 1/2 hr was full. Id advise you to go early to spell out instructions.

3. The Ugly Mug (on the Washington Street Mall) eaten there many many times. Have Wise chips with sandwich and dill pickle was wonderful. Had the hamburger/w /l/t/o/ didn't eat chips and coke.

Also we ate at the Ugly Mug in the downtown Cape May shopping area, they do not have a gluten free menu but I ordered a cheese dog without the bun. They were amazing, even cooked my order separate from the others. They don't have a website but I do highly give them a good rep.

4. Belle Vida )E6)

609-884-6332

There is a small little cafe in Cape May called Belle Vida. It serves gluten-free rice pasta!!!!!

I actually had chicken parm for the first time in 2 1/2 years. It was amazing. The prices are decent. Service was good, There is a website for this cafe so in you google Belle Vida it will come up and they have a menu posted.

THINGS TO DO WHILE IN CAPE MAY

1. Cape May Lighthouse (B7)*

2. Salt Marsh Safari (F4)*

609-884-3100

www,skimmer.com

Reservations $44.00 / $2.00 c/o on the map. It's 2 hrs only. www

FOOD SHOPPING.

1. ACME'S --Some have gluten-free free milk etc.

2 The Green Street Market

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

debmidge Rising Star

Two Mile Landing advised me they can accomodate gluten-free

blueeyedmanda Community Regular

I loved the Belle Vida last summer. Very good. I recommend the chicken parm.

We also ate at the Ugly Mug. They helped me to get a meal which was fit for celiac. Great service. We ate outdoors and the weather was so nice that day.

I am going to Cape May the weekend after you. I cannot wait!

Judyin Philly Enthusiast

THANKS YOU 2

BLUE EYE MAMA THINK I PUT YOUR COMMENTS ON MY LIST

DEB I'LL ADD YOURS AS I FORGOT LAST TIME.

HOPE OTHERS WILL POST AND I'LL KEEP ADDING TO THE LIST AS THEY COME IN

HAVE A GREAT TIME WHEN YOU GO DOWN TO THE SHORE IN 2 WEEKS.

J

Judy-

I forgot to tell you, Have a great time at the shore. Are you going to go to the lighthouse at all? That is my favorite place in Cape May.

My fiance and I are heading down to the shore and taking his younger brother and my best friend. The guys are going to do the boardwalk (we stay in Wildwood) and Erin and I are doing wedding shopping for me. I am having a beach theme wedding.

The beach is John and I's favorite place, he even proposed to me on the beach. He was going to do it on top of the Abescon Lighthouse but it was closed the day he took me down. (He told me he was taking me to Atlantic City since I had never been there before) So the beach theme suits us just right.

Judyin Philly Enthusiast

OH DEAR ME

THOUGHT YOUR USER NAME WAS BLUEEYEDMAMA....

SO YOUR NAME I BET IS MANDA?

WHAT A DUFFUS I AM.

GREAT IDEA TO HAVE YOUR WEDDING ON THE BEACH.

THAT'S WERE MY SON WANTS TO BE MARRIED TOO.

ONLY THING IS...HAVE TO FIND A GIRL TO MARRY FIRST.

ONE SMALL LITTLE DETAIL :lol:

HAVE A WONDERFUL WONDERUFUL TIME.

GOSH PLANNING A WEDDING...HOW FUN...I CAN ONLY REMEMBER MINE THROUGH PICTURES :lol: IT WAS 43 YEARS AGO...

HUGS

JUDY

jerseyangel Proficient
ONLY THING IS...HAVE TO FIND A GIRL TO MARRY FIRST.

ONE SMALL LITTLE DETAIL :lol:

:lol::lol::lol:

A small, but essential detail! :D

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Judy-

I was thinking about you this morning as I was browsing things going on in Cape May. Let me know how you make out dining wise when you get back. I cannot wait to go down there, 2 weekends from now, the countdown is on :)

I am actually getting married here in Harrisburg, we are just doing a beach themed reception. There are a lot of close people who could not make it to the wedding if I had it on the beach. It would be nice on the beach though, very scenic.

A coworker in my office is having her last day today and she is moving to Cape May, and she is getting married in the courthouse. Very nice!

Hope you trip is well.

lindalee Enthusiast

Hi Judy,

Hope you get to go to that Linen Outlet. I got some soft beachy looking sheets last year and those good soaps!

Take care, Lee

Judyin Philly Enthusiast

HI Guys

I haven't on line for days.

Hoping I can still go.

Had a set back last week but still praying and counting on going.

Lindalee.....where was that linen out let again and the soap shop.

was the soap shop the one NOT in Washington Mall???

Hope there are a few more ideas that pop up.

I'll add to the master list.

I still have some others to enter from old list but have either been sick or in the garden.

thanks everyone.

Manda......Thanks for the note.

I'll try to post when i get back.

you have fun too

what fun planning the reception.

when is the big day again?

The big day is October 20th. I am going shopping at that store at the end of Cape May, where you see the Sunken Ship.

Judyin Philly Enthusiast

OH SUNSINE POINT OR SOMETHING LIKE THAT?

I LOVE THAT STORE.

DON'T FOR GET THOSE SHOPS BY THE CAPE MAY WICKER ON THE ROAD TO THE POINT

THAT ROW OF STORES THAT ARE BESIDE IT.

THERE IS A SILK FLOWER STORE I LOVE AS THAT'S WERE I GOT THE ORCHIDS THAT LOOK SO REAL

OCT 20TH......SUCH FUN.

J

You know what, I stopped at a store on the way back to Wildwood. I got this very nice lighthouse purse that matches my luggage. The store sold lots of great things at a nice price. I have got to go to that soap store. I love bath soaps.

Judy I bet you are excited you are going next week!

It would have been great if we are going the same weekend. We could have had a gluten free dinner.

Judyin Philly Enthusiast

PURSE TO MATCH YOUR LUGGAGE..WOW YOU 'MARTHA' LADY YOU!!! :lol:

WILL HAVE TO CK OUT THE SOAP STORES LINDALEE WAS TAKING ABOUT

YES SO EXCITED BUT SO MUCH TO DO ESP WITH ALL THE SHRUBS I BOUGHT YESTERDAY AND SO MUCH TO DO TO GET READY

WANT TO TAKE ALOT OF GARDENING MAGS..I HAVEN'T HAVE TIME TO READ AND MY SKETCHING STUFF..........LOVE TO GO SKETCHING WHILE THERE

ONLY TIME I FIND THE TIME TO DO IT.

STILL CLEANING INSIDE AND ...........WANT TO GET OUT INTO THE GARDEN AND ..........SUNSHINE.

I know what you mean about sunshine, I thought winter in PA was going to last forever this year. I love sketching at the beach. It is also very soothing. I also like checking out the Weddings by the Sea. It is so cute.

Judyin Philly Enthusiast

Weddings by the Sea...is that a place or a website?

Weddings by the Sea is a tiny little store. It is so cute, but it does have a website. I enjoy going in there. It is more for people who are having a Victorian wedding but it so cute to go into.

Open Original Shared Link

Judyin Philly Enthusiast

I'll have to get out my Cape May Map

Isn't this shop on a corner and a tea shope and the soap shop nearby?

looks like a cute shop

Judyin Philly Enthusiast

HI GUYS

We're heading to Cape May NJ tommorrow morning so I'm bumping this up in case there is anyone who missed it last week

I hope there maybe some new folks who will have something to add.

If not, I'll see you all when we get back,,,,,, if I ever get all the ''STUFF'' packed for a week of cooking in a glutened zone home.

Some times you wonder if it's worth it...Naw...it's worth it once we see our first sunset..

hugs

Judy

Judy

Have a safe trip to Cape May. Enjoy your trip there. I really wish I was there! I am jealous. You are going to have nice weather though, so I am happy for you. Let us know how it was when you get back.

Amanda

Judyin Philly Enthusiast

Hi Amanda

So nice of you!

I'm getting excited but still so much to do..

i still have 2 flats of pansies to do something with

today dug the ostrach ferns out and put where they needed to be moved.........oie............

cleaned the refrig and packed the food.

It's something to get all that

Remember the days where we just 'threw a few things in a bag' and off we went?

Those are the days I miss, but it will be refreshing I know.

We haven't been away in so long.

will up you when i get home and hope we have some new good 'friendly celiac places to eat' to add to the list.

hugs and thanks Amanda.

jerseyangel Proficient

Hey Judy--

I'm sure you've left by now, but have a wonderful, *restful* time! Hope all of the "getting ready" didn't wear you out too much. ;)

Judyin Philly Enthusiast

WOW PATTI..........I WANT SOME PIE

THAT LOOKS SO GOOD..HOPE AS GOOD AS IT LOOKED..

OK WE ARE HOME.

GREAT TRIP.

WANT TO JUST ADD THIS FOR SOMEONE WHOES HEADING DOWN ON WED,

BELLA VIDA----------------OMG.................THEY ARE WONDERFUL

THE OWNERS ARE GETTING gluten-free BREAD IN 2 WEEKS.

THEY ARE TRYING SO HARD TO FEED US..........

LET'S HELP THEM WITH GOING IN ....BEING NICE....AND TIPING WELL.............

WE WILL ALWAYS HAVE A GREAT SAFE PLACE TO EAT IN CAPE MAY

NEED TO GET OFF LINE BUT WANTED TO GET THIS POST UP NOW FOR THE WOMAN IN LIST SERV.

AMANDA...YOU MIGHT GET THE gluten-free BREAD IN 2 WEEKS

HAVE MORE PLACES TO ADD TOO EVEN THOUGH I ONLY ATE OUT 3 TIMES IN 7 DAYS...........

NITE ALL.

JUDY

THIS POST IS FROM A OLD ONE FROM AMANDA..THANKS KIDO

4. Belle Vida )E6)

609-884-6332

There is a small little cafe in Cape May called Belle Vida. It serves gluten-free rice pasta!!!!!

I actually had chicken parm for the first time in 2 1/2 years. It was amazing. The prices are decent. Service was good, There is a website for this cafe so in you google Belle Vida it will come up and they have a menu posted.

Judy!!!!!!

Welcome Back!!!

It is nice to hear you had a great time. The owners of the Belle Vida are very nice. I am glad someone is trying to help us out.

How was your trip? Take your time to post, I was running all weekend from Scranton and now home after visiting family, so I am going to browse quickly and head to bed.

I missed you!!!

Judyin Philly Enthusiast

THANKS IT'S NICE TO BE MISSED.

CAN YOU TAKE ME BACK TO CAPE MAY WITH YOU????????????????/ PLEASE PLEASE.

SLEPT 10-11 HRS STRAIGHT EACH NITE...........DOES THAT SAY....

RELAXED............... :lol:

POST TOMORROW.

GOING TO BED.

HUGS

JUDY

Archived