Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

rebz

Mixed Results

Hello

I have had blood tests done and they have come back with some increased and some not. I am confused particulary about the negative endomysium test as I thought that was supposed to be the most specific for celiac and the fact that the increased ones don't appear very much outside the normal range. My doc suggested that I have a 10% chance of having a positive biopsy but I'm not sure about this. How positive is the t-Transglutaimase results - is this the sort of level you would expect for celiac ? Any thoughts ?

total IgA - 4.38 g/L (0.8-2.8 normal range)

Endomysium IgA - negative

IgA gliadin - 35U/mL (15-30U/ml equivocal range)

IgG gliadin - 13 U.mL (15-30U/ml equivocal range)

IgA t-Transglutaminase 22 U/ml (normal range 0-15U/ml)

thanks

Rebz

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Welcome to the boards and the celiac family.

The TTG is the newest and of all the tests the one that has the best chance of showing positive for celiac. This was positive for you. You do indeed need to be doing the gluten-free diet. It is not just the gut that is at risk for damage, all organs and the brain can be effected.

Read as much as you can here on the board, you have come to a great place for info and support. It can be hard to adjust at first but it will get easier.

Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying

"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002

Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis

All bold resoved or went into remission in time with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002

Gene Test Aug 2007

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

Thanks for your reply.

I am still confused about the negative endomysium result. Does the fact that this is negative suggest that the positive results could be 'non-specific' or 'false' positives ?