This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Bowel Control

Roxanna

Roxanna Newbie

Can anyone answer this question. I have a 25 yr old son that has all the neurological sympotms of gluten sensativity. He has never been able to control his bowels. He has trouble feeling. He has many nuerological problems. The doctors just say that the loss of control is due to his not being able to feel. I think all of it has to do with gluten. Can someone give me any idea if it could be gluten. He is so embarrassed and doesn't know what to do.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Nantzie Collaborator

Yes. When mine was at it's worst, I would have to push my kids out of the way to run to the bathroom 10 feet away. Sometimes I wouldn't make it. I was scared to go anywhere because it happened without notice. It would just start coming out. Like your son says, I couldn't even feel it until it was already happening. It was horrible. I hope this ends up being an answer for him.

Nancy

jerseyangel Proficient

Hi Roxanna, and welcome :)

My heart goes out to your son. I think it's possible that he could be sensitive to gluten. I don't understand your doctors saying that it's just his inability to feel. That makes no sense to me--does he have a condition that would cause this? Many times, doctors don't think to look for Celiac or another dietary cause--and label the patient with IBS or use some other excuse for not finding the root cause of the problem.

I have 2 sons, both in their 20's and I just feel so bad that your son is having to deal with this problem. Have you asked for him to be tested for Celiac? If you want, I will send you the list of tests in the Celiac Blood Panel. Celiac can also cause neurological problems--I have been diagnosed with anxiety disorder, and experienced depression before I was diagnosed.

I had the urgency problem from right before I was diagnosed to several months after. During that time, I was becoming used to the gluten-free diet, and surely making mistakes here and there--especially with my personal care products. When I was truly gluten-free, it began to get better.

Much like Nancy, the feeling would come over me very suddenly, and I would have to run to the bathroom. There were times that I didn't quite make it in time. It would start, and I just couldn't control it. It was awful, and it only added to my anxiety.

Gradually, after being gluten-free for a while, it happened much less often. Then, thankfully, it stopped happening altogether. I still panic if I get an odd cramp--especially if I'm not at home.

Something is irritating his system--I would say the first thing to do would be to try and identify the cause, and eliminate it. Gluten is a good place to start--dairy foods are another. When the intestinal villi are damaged, they can not produce the enzyme necessary to digest dairy. If you are planning to have him tested, don't put him on the diet until after the testing. (it could skew the results)

Good luck with everything--contact me anytime :)

Pacer Rookie

Another vote here. My son (age 6) had this problem every day up til the day we took him off gluten (well, let's say 24 hours later).

He came up a very high positive on EnteroLabs testing. Also, removal of gluten removes all of his negative symptoms. I feel bad, because we thought he was being difficult with potty training all this time. :-/

Heidi

Lisa Mentor
Can anyone answer this question. I have a 25 yr old son that has all the neurological sympotms of gluten sensativity. He has never been able to control his bowels. He has trouble feeling. He has many nuerological problems. The doctors just say that the loss of control is due to his not being able to feel. I think all of it has to do with gluten. Can someone give me any idea if it could be gluten. He is so embarrassed and doesn't know what to do.

Roxanna:

I cannot tell you the pants that I threw out. Two months I could not leave my home. This "no feeling" is nonsense. I remember needing the bathroom which was six seconds away and I got there in seven seconds. Granted, there was no warning, or very little. That was a discussed lost of several good jeans. This was relieved after two months of eating gluten free.

If he is willing to take the gluten free diet seriously and be diligent, I think he will see drastic changes, to include the nero symptoms, after a totally free diet.

Hope this helps.

You have others that are posting good information.

Archived