Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

whattodo

Please Suggest Some "good Fat" Foods

Hi everyone, can anyone suggest some sources of "good fat" foods. I dont know if that makes sense but i need to gain more weight. perhaps something to snack on between meals as well other than gluten free biscuits. I am trying to cut out sugar for candida purposes.

I am unable to eat nuts as I have diverticular disease of the bowel which are small pockets which these can get trapped in... :(

Thanks

Jason

Hope i dont become a nuisance but there are so many questions i need to ask

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

What about nuts or peanut butter? You can get PB without sugar in it. Cheese is another good snack, in moderation. You could add olive oil to your veggies when cooking. Avocados are very healthy and full of good fats.

Kim

"Life isn't about how to survive the storm

but how to dance in the rain."

Positive bloodwork 1/9/06

gluten-free since 1/12/06

Very positive dietary response

DS (12 years old)

Biopsy 7/7/06 ~ Diagnosed Celiac 7/12/2006

gluten-free since 7/15/2006

DD (almost 6)

HLA-DQ2 positive

Celiac Bloodwork negative 2 different times

Still eating gluten for now.

i second the avocado

coconut milk

fish

I'll third avocado .....

If your not dairy free then chilli with lots of cheese, sour cream and gaucamole piles on calories ....

However overall if you are trying to gain weight smaller but more frequent meals are better...

Especially for celiacs, add a lot of fat and we can find it hard to digest.... so simple easy to digest stuff tends to be better...

Fere libenter homines id quod volunt credunt. (JC, De Bello Gallico Liber III/XVIII)

Almond butter :D

You can use it as a spread, on fruit like apples and bananas, stuffed into celery, or right off the spoon!

Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

What about nuts or peanut butter? You can get PB without sugar in it. Cheese is another good snack, in moderation. You could add olive oil to your veggies when cooking. Avocados are very healthy and full of good fats.

I havent eaten nuts since being diagnosed with diverticular disease but im sure smooth peanut butter will be ok. I take it peanut butter is gluten free, i have stayed away from butter and margarine as not got round to looking it up.....

Coconut oil is the healthiest saturated fat out there. You can't use it for salads, because it is not liquid. But you can use it for all your cooking and baking, and even eat it straight as a supplement. Just make sure you get the non-hydrogenated kind (cold pressed), as all hydrogenated fats are poison for your body. You might have to buy it in the health food store.

I am a German citizen, married to a Canadian 29 years, four daughters, one son, seven granddaughters and four grandsons, with one more grandchild on the way in July 2009.

Intolerant to all lectins (including gluten), nightshades (potatoes, tomatoes, peppers, eggplant) and salicylates.

Asperger Syndrome, Tourette Syndrome, Addison's disease (adrenal insufficiency), hypothyroidism, fatigue syndrome, asthma

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I think saturated fats are horribly maligned. Can you eat dairy products? It is easy to get fats and calories if you include whole milk dairy products like Greek yogurt (oh god, I miss that), cheese, etc. Give the Greek Yogurt a try if you can find it, it is amazing stuff. The greeks eat it with honey.

Peanuts, cashews (yum!) or some seeds hemp, pumpkin - these are all high in fat. :)

It's not enough that we do our best; sometimes we have to do what's required - Sir Winston Churchill

Nikki

Son diagnosed with Coeliac Disease Oct 2006 by biopsy (at age 13yrs)

black_cat.gif

I think saturated fats are horribly maligned. Can you eat dairy products? It is easy to get fats and calories if you include whole milk dairy products like Greek yogurt (oh god, I miss that), cheese, etc. Give the Greek Yogurt a try if you can find it, it is amazing stuff. The greeks eat it with honey.

To tell you the truth nancym i have not eaten dairy for 7 months now. i dont know if im intolerant, im still trying to get the pain to subside to test whether i am or not.

While my gut was healing I found nuts to be too difficult to digest. Even nut butters.

Seeds, even now, give me diarrhea. I'd avoid eating pumpkin and sunflower seeds as I think that effect might be more than just my own peculiarity.

Macadamia nuts seem the easiest to digest for me, they're also one of the highest fat nuts out there.

Eat 1 pound of bacon a day, cook it up and take it with you as snack.

Oh wait, we don't want to kill you.... I 2nd the peanuts. I buy a big jar of them, and munch each day while working. Contains a lot of "better" unsat fats.... Though some do have issues with just nuts. I've also found milk + instance breakfasts to be good at keeping my weight up. (also having my Mom live in my house for a month feeding me... when I was sick :>)

After totally healing, and eating right, I don't really have the problem of being underweight... 165 (US) pounds, was down to 118 pounds when I was sick(really sick, not gluten related)

-grant

"If I start fighting a war... I guarantee you'll see something new" - Malcolm Reynolds, Serenity

sorry you cant have the nuts due to diverticulousis (spelling..) anyway fat foods are good, but don't overlook gluten-free source of carbs in combination with the fats. This increases & Keeps weight on.

so potato salad with lots of gluten-free mayo.. whole milk yogurts (Brown Cow), gluten-free cookies,

Husband has Celiac Disease and

Husband misdiagnosed for 27 yrs -

The misdiagnosis was: IBS or colitis

Mis-diagnosed from 1977 to 2003 by various gastros including one of the largest,

most prestigious medical groups in northern NJ which constantly advertises themselves as

being the "best." This GI told him it was "all in his head."

Serious Depressive state ensued

Finally Diagnosed with celiac disease in 2003

Other food sensitivities: almost all fruits, vegetables, spices, eggs, nuts, yeast, fried foods, roughage, soy.

Needs to gain back at least 25 lbs. of the 40 lbs pounds he lost - lost a great amout of body fat and muscle

Developed neuropathy in 2005

Now has lymphadema 2006It is my opinion that his subsequent disorders could have been avoided had he been diagnosed sooner by any of the dozen or so doctors he saw between 1977 to 2003

If you mean you want to increase your FAT INTAKE that is different then GETTING FAT.

To gain weight, INCREASE CARBS (esply SIMPLE CARBS) not FAT. Increasing FAT is healthy, but will usually lead to weight LOSS not gain. :) As for what is a good fat, this summary says it nicely..

In summary, our choice of fats and oils is one of extreme importance. Most people, especially infants and growing children, benefit from more fat in the diet rather than less. But the fats we eat must be chosen with care. Avoid all processed foods containing newfangled hydrogenated fats and polyunsaturated oils. Instead, use traditional vegetable oils like extra virgin olive oil and small amounts of unrefined flax seed oil. Acquaint yourself with the merits of coconut oil for baking and with animal fats for occasional frying. Eat egg yolks and other animal fats with the proteins to which they are attached. And, finally, use as much good quality butter as you like, with the happy assurance that it is a wholesome

- Vincent -