Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest GrimTribe

Bood Test Results

Guest GrimTribe

Well, I went in to Steele's Dr last Wed and got an order for the IgA test for him. We spent Wed thru Sun giving him all the food he'd been denied since we first began to suspect celiac disease.

OMG...

He was miserable. Weepy, irritable, constipated (again!!!!), belly bloating, leg cramps, vomiting....

I was ready to say screw it by Saturday morning.

So we got the blood test done Monday AM and immediately set about getting him flushed out again. He was on fluids Monday & Tuesday with grapefruit for dinner.

We called today to check on the results and they came back negative. Diva is surprised, I'm not, but we are both terribly disappointed. I mean, we made him sick on purpose so the test would have a better chance of coming out pos and still got scrubbed on it.

This kid has enough ammo in his Guilt Trip Gun to knock me out for the next century. We did try to explain to him why he was suddenly allowed to eat pizza and cinnamon rolls and cake. At 5 all he cares about is PIZZA! CINNAMON ROLLS! CAKE!

So we know our next step is to get him to the GI, that's scheduled for next Wed.

We've already researched Enterolab, and found the panel we want (369.00 +shipping OMG) and we know it has a much better chance of successfully locating the celiac disease, but we don't have the funds for it. All we can do it keep him gluten-free and watch for cross contamination.

Diva had her daughter tested too, but we haven't gotten those results yet. I plan to get all of my kids blood tested at least, and myself as well. I really want to know if I have the gene.

Moving Right Along... :(

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Had your son been gluten-free for any length of time prior to the blood test??

If so this would be why he got a negative result as you are supposed to be on a high gluten diet for at least 6 weeks before any tests :)

It's not enough that we do our best; sometimes we have to do what's required - Sir Winston Churchill

Nikki

Son diagnosed with Coeliac Disease Oct 2006 by biopsy (at age 13yrs)

black_cat.gif

Well, I went in to Steele's Dr last Wed and got an order for the IgA test for him. We spent Wed thru Sun giving him all the food he'd been denied since we first began to suspect celiac disease.

OMG...

He was miserable. Weepy, irritable, constipated (again!!!!), belly bloating, leg cramps, vomiting....

I was ready to say screw it by Saturday morning.

Isn't this enough of a diagnosis for you?

"But then, in all honesty, if scientists don't play god, who will?"

- James Watson

My sources are unreliable, but their information is fascinating.

- Ashleigh Brilliant

Leap, and the net will appear.

I wanted to mention that Enterolab has JUST the gluten stool test for $99. It might not be the full panel, but it will give you an answer sooner than waiting to afford the whole thing. That's what I did for my kids.

Nancy

The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person who is doing it.

~Chinese Proverb

I am sorry that this is taking a long time for you and your son.

Have you thought about getting the genetic cheek swab test? We did ours through Kimball genetics. It cost us around 300.00 and it let us know that our son that did not have any antibodies in his blood is a carrier for celiac disease. ( the company that we went through gives a small mulitple family testing discount on the tests~ but a little is better than none ).

We had the results from the test within 3 days of sending it back. Their customer service was great! They also were able to give me and my DH a profile of our DNA genes for celiac based on the test from our DD and DS. We found out that on gene 6 we both had one normal gene and we both had another that was a carrier for celiac disease.

Jen