Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

janelyb

When You Went gluten-free, How Soon Did Dairy Become A Problem?

ok so right around week 3 or 4 I noticed dairy possibly becoming a problem for my son, but I haven't taken it out until today week 7. Now for myself I am right around week 4 gluten-free and I am suspecious dairy is hurting my tummy and sending me to the potty room. I'm going dairy free starting now.

So if we are truely celiac, how long should we avoid dairy too? And is it all dairy (meaning whey and casein)???

Currently I am taking out the ovious dairy (milk,cheese,yogurt,icecream,butter)

Janel (me): gluten-free since 4/10/07; casien free 5/1/07;soy light 10/07

**LOST 35 lbs since April 2007(much needed weight loss)**

ds(6 yrs)- gluten-free since 3/19/07; casein free 5/2/07;soy free 10/07

HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 7,7)

new dx= Hirschsprungs Disease w/cecostomy

the non believers, only allergen free eatting at home because they have to be:

Hubby: refuses to eat Gluten-free Casein-free except for dinner

dd(14 yrs)- refuses to go along with any special dietary retrictions *I suspect dairy/wheat intollerant*

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Hi I am sorry you have to also give up dairy.

Whe I obtainned the results from EnteroLabs I positive also for milk products. It didn't suprise me.

Their recomendations is to stay away from dairy for one year, and re-introduce it little by little.

I am avoiding ALL dairy products, but Not every one is the same. So this limits my diet even further.

Good luck!!!!!

Best regards to you.

Have not I commanded you? Be strong and of a good courage; be not afraid, neither be thou dismayed: for the LORD thy God is with you every where you go.

Jos 1:9

I can do all things thru Christ which strengtheneth me.

Phi 4:13

Blood Test: Negative 03/2006

Biopsy Negative 04/2006

Stopped gluten-free diet 04/2006

EnteroLabs: Positive 04/2007

Fecal Antigliadin IgA "Positive"

Fecal Antitissue Transglutaminase IgA "Positive"

Quantitative Microscopic Fecal Fat Score "Positive"

Fecal anti-casein (cow

ok so right around week 3 or 4 I noticed dairy possibly becoming a problem for my son, but I haven't taken it out until today week 7. Now for myself I am right around week 4 gluten-free and I am suspecious dairy is hurting my tummy and sending me to the potty room. I'm going dairy free starting now.

So if we are truely celiac, how long should we avoid dairy too? And is it all dairy (meaning whey and casein)???

Currently I am taking out the ovious dairy (milk,cheese,yogurt,icecream,butter)

Celiac or not....there are many people who are intolerant to dairy, especially casein. Besides gluten, I believe that casein and soy are the only other two foods which can cause blunting of the villi.

I have read information that said to avoid dairy for about a year. But I'm not exactly sure how true or effective that really is. My dd has been off all forms of dairy for over two years. She is STILL completely intolerant to casein (and whey). At this point, we have found many good substitutes for it in diet and don't really miss it too much.

If you're going to take dairy out, I would take ALL of it out. If you have a problem with dairy, it will be similar in severity to gluten. So cc is definitely a concern and should be avoided.

The only food that we really missed on this diet was pizza. And luckily, someone here posted a homemade cashew cheese recipe that was very tasty and definitely worked well on gluten-free pizza. For milk substitutes, look into rice, hazelnut, almond, coconut or even hemp milk. And Vance's Dari-free works too...it is potato-based.

HTH

Vicky

Guest j_mommy

I was dx'd with celiac on april 1st. When I was young i was diagnosed lactose intolerant. now I am 24 and have learned how much diary is two much for me. I can drink a glass of milk a day and be ok. Anymore than that I'm on the potty! but Lactaid really helps me. I'm not sure abotu it being gluten-free though. I haven't had to take it since i've been Dx'd with celiac.

I was dx'd with celiac on april 1st. When I was young i was diagnosed lactose intolerant. now I am 24 and have learned how much diary is two much for me. I can drink a glass of milk a day and be ok. Anymore than that I'm on the potty! but Lactaid really helps me. I'm not sure abotu it being gluten-free though. I haven't had to take it since i've been Dx'd with celiac.

j mommy, I noticed you have had positive blood work, and waiting for an upcoming biopsy, WHY???

If you have the positive blood work what is the reason for the biopsy?

Son - 8/2001- Asthma 2003, ADHD & PDD-2006, Eosiniphilic Esophigitis & GERD-2007, Endoscopy & Neg. antibody panel 2007. Positive HLA-DQ8

Daughter - 7/2005 - Duarte Galactosemia 2005, Esophigitis & GERD- 2007, Endoscopy 2007, Neg.Biopsy, Positive antibody panel, HLA-DQ8, Official Celiac Diagnosis 5-1-07, gluten free since 4-28-07, Tic Disorder

Husband- Positive Gene testing HLA-DQ8, 9-2007, Negative antibody panel 10-07, must be carrier only

I was gluten free for about 3-4 weeks also before dairy started giving me problems :(

My body just hates me.

Dx 3/23/07

Gluten free 3/27/07

Intolerant:

Gluten

MSG

Allergies:

Ragweed

Honeydew

Cantalope

Nickel (jewelry)

Dx'd Lymphocytic Colitis 6/16/08

I am a bad silly-yak!

Unless you have a milk ALLERGY you don not need to avoid casein and whey. Those are proteins and it is the proteins that cause an allergic reaction. If you are INTOLERANT due to Celiac disease or genetics then you cannot digest lactose, the milk sugar. They can both cause cramps and diarrhea for two different reasons. If you are lactose intolerant then you will be able to benefit from Lactaid which is a dietary supplement that contains lactase, the enzyme lacking in lactose intolerance. Lactaid is gluten free, and they have chewable pills. My son's doctor said that I can give him half a pill before he eats dairy. At his four year check up I plan on having the hydrogen breath test done on him so see if he is still lactose intolerant. I recommend getting allergy testing done, just so you know for sure. Or else you may be wondering if he got glutened or if he really is allergic to something else. It's a "simple" blood test, and then you know.

Jenny

Son 6 yrs old, Positive blood work, Outstanding dietary response, no biopsy.

Household mostly gluten free since 3/07

Me: HLA-DQ 02 & 0302 (DQ 08), which I ran & analyzed myself!Currently gluten lite, negative tTG, asymptomatic

Guest j_mommy

momof2sn.....

My Dr wants to see the damage! We scheduled the biopsy before teh blood tests results came back b/c she really didn't think Celiac would be my diagnoses! Big suprise there!LOL but Celiac was it. I have a huge family history of intestinal problems so we're doing a colonoscopy too. But I guess in teh end I'm just going by what my doc says...sometimes not such a good idea but I guess I kind of want to know what the damage is in my small intestine!

j mommy, I noticed you have had positive blood work, and waiting for an upcoming biopsy, WHY???

If you have the positive blood work what is the reason for the biopsy?

My daughter was dx at 2.5 years and she had pos blood work and still did the biopsy b/c they said they wanted to be sure and to know the severity of the damage already done. We went gluten-free the day her blood work came back pos. Looking back I'm not sure I would have put her through the biopsy, but I was so over whelmed and glad they finally found out what the problems were that I was okay with it.

Guest AlabamaGirl

I think how long you abstain depends on what your reaction is to and what antibodies you are producing. For example, some celiacs cannot digest lactose but that improves as villi regain their function. Though I am surprised that EnterLabs told some of you to only cut out casein for a year. Is this correct??? I quote them regarding my casein-positive test:

"Dr. Fine strongly recommends NOT reintroducing any foods that will produce the antigliadin or (IgA) antibody. However, if you are having problems with other foods that may cause the body to produce the IgE or IgG antibody, as a response to any allergy, you could possibly reintroduce those foods after a while. We can also test for egg, yeast and soy sensitivies if you are interested. You would have to contact an allergist to be tested for an allergy to these or other foods. Thank you, Kathy Carreon EnteroLab Customer Service"

Hope this helps! And hope it is NOT dairy ... I'm on day 4 of giving that up and feel like I'm DYING. :lol:

I have been gluten free for almost two years. For a long time, during meals, I would have facial perspiration and found no real connection. I even posted that question here with little answers.

It turns out that eating dairy, I will have an immediate reaction with the familiar facial perspiration. I can tolerate limited dairy without intestinal distress, but I always get the face flush from cheese and dairy.

Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

Guest j_mommy

I never knew that that could cause the face to flush!!! A lightbulb just went on in my head!!!LOL I have that tooo!!!! Wow. I really love this board.....So many pieces of teh puzzle have come together!!!! It's great!!!!

I never knew that that could cause the face to flush!!! A lightbulb just went on in my head!!!LOL I have that tooo!!!! Wow. I really love this board.....So many pieces of teh puzzle have come together!!!! It's great!!!!

I have never heard anyone on this board comment about this "facial perspiration" when eating. But I have pin-pointed it down for me. I don't know whether I have a casein issue or a lactose issue, but it's an allergy at the least. Glad to know I have a witness. :)

Oh, I have a reaction to wine as well - sulfates, and we do wine tasting every Saturday and always the same reaction. I should know, but I don't was the source of sulfates are. (and not even sure that I have spelled it properly).

Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien