Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ReneCox

Starting The Scd Diet

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

I'm starting the diet on Sat. May 5th. I have all the stuff I need and I'm really excited. I also got the cookbook grainless gourmet which has a lot og great recipes.

I'm planning on starting it this summer. Just too much going on right now to give the diet the focus it deserves (although I've managed to get into a good groove with being gluten free now! :) )

Michelle

Guest AlabamaGirl

I'd like to just watch for a while -- I'm debating whether to do SCD or not. Post your progress & results for all of us lurkers!

I follow the diet and the book you can get at the library. I make the chicken soup every week and take some to church Sunday's- someone always needs it it seems. There is a chrons girl that I took it too and now she makes it and it has helped her.

Lee

what is the scd diet?

It is the Specific Carbohydrate diet. The best way to explain it is to go the the website www.breakingtheviciouscycle.com.

Okay so after two days on the SCDiet, I introduced pear sauce. right after that mt stomach started bothering me and got a little gassy. Now my question is did my stomach get like that because I was introducing a new food or what? How am I suppose to introduce a food?

You won't necessarily be able to eat everything on the SCD. Pears have a high fructose:sucrose ratio and that can cause gas/D. I'm just getting over a virus and I can't eat them at the moment. Can you eat bananas? They're a bit of a safer choice. Apricots (cooked + peeled) are another good choice. I usually introduce a new food for 4 days. Then I don't eat it for 2 days. I compare how I felt with and without the food and decide if it's worthwhile keeping the food in my diet at this time.

You won't necessarily be able to eat everything on the SCD. Pears have a high fructose:sucrose ratio and that can cause gas/D. I'm just getting over a virus and I can't eat them at the moment. Can you eat bananas? They're a bit of a safer choice. Apricots (cooked + peeled) are another good choice. I usually introduce a new food for 4 days. Then I don't eat it for 2 days. I compare how I felt with and without the food and decide if it's worthwhile keeping the food in my diet at this time.

Thank That explains a lot. What about Applesauce?

Apples are also high in fructose. Some people can tolerate them just fine, some can't. Unfortunately, a lot of this is trial and error. I'm recovering from the Norwalk virus (definitely not what you need with colitis) and for about a week, I ate the intro diet. I have since added well-cooked bananas, spinach, green beans, avocado and tuna. A bit boring, but it covers all the vitamins and I'm off all antidiarrheal meds and mostly pain-free.

Apples are also high in fructose. Some people can tolerate them just fine, some can't. Unfortunately, a lot of this is trial and error. I'm recovering from the Norwalk virus (definitely not what you need with colitis) and for about a week, I ate the intro diet. I have since added well-cooked bananas, spinach, green beans, avocado and tuna. A bit boring, but it covers all the vitamins and I'm off all antidiarrheal meds and mostly pain-free.

Well that's good that you are off your meds. Congrats. I tried green beans yesterday and I was fine . I am going to take things little by little. I realized that I have to do that even though I don't have any serious illness ( I have IBS- Dominant C). Thanks I'm going to try 1/4 of an banana.

Thanks

Erica

OK, I officially started the SCD diet May 1st. Anyone want to join me?

How is the diet going for you?

I rec'd the book yesterday and i'm planning on starting the diet very soon. I made the chicken soup the other and it was fantastic but i did have a funny tummy after, could this be because i didn't cook it long enough? I let it simmer for a few hrs.

How far along the diet is everyone?

I hate to post because everytime I post that things are going well, I get sick again. However, as of tonight, I have had D only once in 4 weeks and that was when I ate at a friend's house. I'm now eating cooked apricots, raw bananas+avocado, chicken, fish (even smoked salmon was ok yay!), and very well-cooked spinach, green beans and carrots. Soon (I hope) I'll be able to eat 10 foods.

That sounds hopeful, only D once in 4 wks and it wasn't really your fault.

I'm going to try and make the cheesecake this week, has anyone made it yet? I'm taking it one step at a time at the moment and then once i know the recipes i'll start the diet properly. Anyway........

I notice that the recipe says:

1/2 cup homemade yogurt or homemade cream cheese***

2 cups uncreamed cottage cheese (dry curd cottage cheese)

but i can't find any dccc in NZ and it says if you find it impossible to obtain dry curd cottage cheese, substitute the cream cheese recipe (drained homemade yoghurt). So do i use 2 1/2 cup of cream chesse or 1/2 cup of yoghurt and 2 cups of cream cheese?

I hope i haven't just ask a really stupid question :ph34r:

No such thing as a stupid question. :P

Can you buy farmer's cheese where you are? That can be substituted for the DCCC. Otherwise, I used 1/2 cup homemade yoghurt and 2 cups drained homemade yoghurt. That gave it a creamier texture.

I quickly found out though, that I can't tolerate even small amounts of dairy. Try the pecanbread website for ideas in which order to introduce foods. Nuts, beans, raw fruits+veggies and dairy are things you may want to leave out for 3-6 months. I started with chicken+carrot soup and then added one food every 4-7 days.

I'm not surprised I got sick at my friend's house. She apparently stuffed the turkey with bread dressing and she said that she had cut off a piece of the breast meat for me before she unstuffed the turkey, but I probably got some of the dressing.