This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Food Stamps!

isiskingdom

Guhlia Rising Star

If you need a great lasagna recipe, here's the one we use. Open Original Shared Link It's fabulous. You will likely want to cut down on the salt called for in the recipe though, it's overkill. Use Tinkyada noodles and be sure to stir the water you boil them in often (even though the directions don't say to) or they will stick together like glue. If you stir often, then pull them out just before they're completely soft, they will be much easier to deal with and you'll only have to add a few extra minutes of cooking time.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

hannahsue01 Enthusiast

I live in Iowa....here all the local grocery stores and all of our health food stores take food stamps. If you wanted you could try calling and asking before going in. We don't buy to many gluten-free labled foods. Just the tinkyada pasta. My daughter is the only one willing to eat the bread and the best one we have found we purchase online from madison wisconson. We grill allot of meat and have sides. We also have tried to do most of the pasta dishes that we used to make.....speghetti, lasagna, pasta bake (like they make at the pizza joints), chicken pasta, macoroni (if you find the kraft popcorn cheese next to the parmasian cheese it tastes just like the boxed stuff). A new favorite we have found is fried rice....HyVee sells a yellow gluten-free packet ....sunbird I think.....it's a mix you ad to rice and then add your own vegies and chicken. We eat allot of rice and potatoes. There are many options. Even not eating much gluten-free food besides the pasta our grocery bills have tripled going gluten-free.....shop around and with time you learn what you can and can't afford. We also started a garden this year so we won't have to buy allot of vegies. If you have any children under five you can sign up for WIC wich buys some milk and juice and in the summer they give you vouchers to spend at your local farmers market.

isiskingdom Contributor
I live in Iowa....here all the local grocery stores and all of our health food stores take food stamps. If you wanted you could try calling and asking before going in. We don't buy to many gluten-free labled foods. Just the tinkyada pasta. My daughter is the only one willing to eat the bread and the best one we have found we purchase online from madison wisconson. We grill allot of meat and have sides. We also have tried to do most of the pasta dishes that we used to make.....speghetti, lasagna, pasta bake (like they make at the pizza joints), chicken pasta, macoroni (if you find the kraft popcorn cheese next to the parmasian cheese it tastes just like the boxed stuff). A new favorite we have found is fried rice....HyVee sells a yellow gluten-free packet ....sunbird I think.....it's a mix you ad to rice and then add your own vegies and chicken. We eat allot of rice and potatoes. There are many options. Even not eating much gluten-free food besides the pasta our grocery bills have tripled going gluten-free.....shop around and with time you learn what you can and can't afford. We also started a garden this year so we won't have to buy allot of vegies. If you have any children under five you can sign up for WIC wich buys some milk and juice and in the summer they give you vouchers to spend at your local farmers market.

Yes, I have WIC and I'm looking forward to June when the Farmers market starts up again!! I really can not have fried foods due to my gall bladder removal.

Guhlia Thank You for the lasagna recipes as soon as I get my food stamps I will be making it.

isiskingdom Contributor

Yes, I have WIC and I'm looking forward to June when the Farmers market starts up again!! I really can not have fried foods due to my gall bladder removal.

Guhlia Thank You for the lasagna recipes as soon as I get my food stamps I will be making it.

isiskingdom Contributor

Just watched Reg and Kelly they had this recipe it sounds YUM-O but what can you use in place of the cake flour? Here is the recipe!!! Everything sounds gluten-free Except the flour right?

Kelly Ripa's Red Velvet Cupcakes & Cream Cheese Frosting

RED VELVET CUPCAKES

Ingredients:

1 stick butter

1/2 C. sugar

2 eggs

1 C. buttermilk

angel-jd1 Community Regular
I made the most delisious coffee cake yesterday!

From "living gluten free for dummies" by danna korn

1/4 cup canola oil

2 eggs (beaten)

1/2 cup milk (sorry guys but maybe a milk substitute of some kind?)

1 1/2 cup gluten-free flour (I used bobs red mill)

1 1/2 tsp xanthan gum

1 cup sugar

2 tsp baking powder

nonstick spray (I used crisco shortning instead as I HATE nonstick sprays in general)

Topping:

1/2 cup brown sugar

2 TBsp gluten-free flour

2 tsp cinnamon

2 TBsp melted butter

1) mix eggs, oil and milk (beat)

2) sift remaining into wet mixture and mix well

3) topping: mix together and sprinkle on top of batter

Oven 375 for 25 minutes

9 inch square pan

I used an 8 inch as its all I had on hand, came out pretty good too! The tile guys working on my bathroom loved it and hubby stole the much desired center piece this morning before I woke up!

The milk didnt bother me "to badly" but still think I will play the milk slowly for a while longer.

Loco-Ladi-

Thank you for the awesome recipe. It was great and SUPER easy to make!

-Jessica :rolleyes:

loraleena Contributor

Whole Foods Market takes food stamps and they have lots of gluten free products.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

hannahsue01 Enthusiast

The FRIED rice can be made without frying it. We boil the rice and skip the oil and frying part. Add frozen sweat baby peas and seasoned chicken breasts and soy sauce and add in the seasoning packet. We have made it both ways and can't tell much of a difference. Our family loves it....it's on our favorites list now.

jkmunchkin Rising Star

Anna has a wonderful gluten free mix for Banana Bread; and it's not to pricey. (although I think my view of what is pricey and what isn't has become skewed - lol)!

Actually all of her bread mixes are wonderful.

Open Original Shared Link

Also, a lot of people when their intestine is first healing can be slightly lactose intolerant and not handle dairy well. You may just need to lay off it for a bit while you are healing.

For lasagna, I just use a regular lasagna recipe from any cookbook and use Tinkyada lasagna noodles instead.

As for meal ideas, this is one of my favorite recipes I got from Delphi. Everything is naturally gluten free except the soy sauce. (I use San-J, Wheat Free).

STIR-FRIED MAPLE CHICKEN

Serve this glazed chicken with white or brown rice.

2 Whole Boneless, Skinless Chicken Breasts (cut into chunks)

1/4 Cup Vegetable Oil

1/2 Cup Red Bell Pepper (chopped)

1/2 Cup Sliced Green Onions (including some of green top)

1 Clove Garlic (crushed)

1/2 Cup Maple Syrup

1/4 Cup gluten-free Soy Sauce

1/4 Cup Sherry

2 Tblsp. Cornstarch

1/2 tsp. Ginger

Dash Cayenne Pepper

1 Cup Sliced Mushrooms (sauteed in 2 tablespoons butter)

1/2 Cup Cashew Nuts (or with sliced water chestnuts)

Fry chicken in hot oil in large skillet over medium heat

until opaque, 8 minutes. Add pepper, onion, and garlic.

Stir-fry 3 to 4 minutes, until tender-crisp. Drain excess oil.

Combine maple syrup, soy sauce, wine, cornstarch, ginger, sherry

and cayenne. Add to chicken mixture. Cook and stir until

mixture thickens, 3 minutes. Stir in sauteed mushrooms

and cashews. Heat 1 minute longer.

isiskingdom Contributor
Anna has a wonderful gluten free mix for Banana Bread; and it's not to pricey. (although I think my view of what is pricey and what isn't has become skewed - lol)!

Also, a lot of people when their intestine is first healing can be slightly lactose intolerant and not handle dairy well. You may just need to lay off it for a bit while you are healing.

For lasagna, I just use a regular lasagna recipe from any cookbook and use Tinkyada lasagna noodles instead.

As for meal ideas, this is one of my favorite recipes I got from Delphi. Everything is naturally gluten free except the soy sauce. (I use San-J, Wheat Free).

STIR-FRIED MAPLE CHICKEN

1/4 Cup Vegetable Oil

1 Clove Garlic (crushed)

1/2 Cup Maple Syrup

1/4 Cup Sherry

2 Tblsp. Cornstarch

1/2 tsp. Ginger

Dash Cayenne Pepper

OH that sound yummy going to make a list I can go shopping on Friday!! Also I have heard about the Milk problem so I got myself Lactose tabs. I can't give up my cheese or ice cream ;)

isiskingdom Contributor

STIR-FRIED MAPLE CHICKEN

1/4 Cup Vegetable Oil

1 Clove Garlic (crushed)

1/2 Cup Maple Syrup

1/4 Cup Sherry

2 Tblsp. Cornstarch

1/2 tsp. Ginger

Dash Cayenne Pepper

OH that sound yummy going to make a list I can go shopping on Friday!! Also I have heard about the Milk problem so I got myself Lactose tabs. I can't give up my cheese or ice cream ;)

Kellygirl Rookie

I found out that Trix Cereal, Little Einsteins and Dora the Explorer Cereals are gluten free as are Soy Joy bars. I am starting to do a little baking because I do find the cost of food a little outragious. I don't eat meat so I am still struggling a little with the protien. I am on my way out the door to the health food store. I am going to see if there is some sort of protein powder that is gluten free, then I can bake with it.

For breakfast I usually eat fresh strawberries and bananas with homemade chocolate pudding on top. It is like a desert and I start the day off on a good food, not feeling deprived. I do all fresh veggies with dip and a Baked Potato for lunch and super is usually rice with lots of veggies and beans.

This may sound silly to some people but when in doubt use baby food. That is what I am doing to try and introduce meat back into my diet. I have been a vegetarian for 10 years and with the lactose intolerance and being someone who has just been diagnosed with celiac I think it would probably be in my best interest to try to at least go back to eating fish and chicken.

Best snack food for me so far though has been blue corn chips - natural - no salt and really HOT HOT salsa, or popcorn.

Good luck on with the food stamps. I don't know where you can use them, just wanted to let you know that you are not alone and that there are foods out there that are gluten free that aren't all that expensive.

Hope all goes well - take care

Kelly

jkmunchkin Rising Star

STIR-FRIED MAPLE CHICKEN

1/4 Cup Vegetable Oil

1 Clove Garlic (crushed)

1/2 Cup Maple Syrup

1/4 Cup Sherry

2 Tblsp. Cornstarch

1/2 tsp. Ginger

Dash Cayenne Pepper

I should add, I usually just buy a package of 3 chicken breasts and use all of them without modifying the recipe.

I make this for 2 people and it's great because it still makes tons for a couple helpings of leftovers :)

loco-ladi Contributor
Trix Cereal

OMG say its not a dream, really me and the bunny can speak again, he's prolly so mad at me he will hide when I try to go buy some! :blink:

NoGluGirl Contributor
I found out that Trix Cereal, Little Einsteins and Dora the Explorer Cereals are gluten free as are Soy Joy bars. I am starting to do a little baking because I do find the cost of food a little outragious. I don't eat meat so I am still struggling a little with the protien. I am on my way out the door to the health food store. I am going to see if there is some sort of protein powder that is gluten free, then I can bake with it.

For breakfast I usually eat fresh strawberries and bananas with homemade chocolate pudding on top. It is like a desert and I start the day off on a good food, not feeling deprived. I do all fresh veggies with dip and a Baked Potato for lunch and super is usually rice with lots of veggies and beans.

This may sound silly to some people but when in doubt use baby food. That is what I am doing to try and introduce meat back into my diet. I have been a vegetarian for 10 years and with the lactose intolerance and being someone who has just been diagnosed with celiac I think it would probably be in my best interest to try to at least go back to eating fish and chicken.

Best snack food for me so far though has been blue corn chips - natural - no salt and really HOT HOT salsa, or popcorn.

Good luck on with the food stamps. I don't know where you can use them, just wanted to let you know that you are not alone and that there are foods out there that are gluten free that aren't all that expensive.

Kelly

Dear Kelly,

Thank you so much for the cereal update! :) I can help you out with some protein. Many Mori-Nu Tofu products are safe! I found out when going to their website! Their products are sold at Wal-Mart! Check out all we can have:

19. Which Mori-Nu products are gluten-free?

For those seeking gluten-free products, we have good news!

The following Mori-Nu products are gluten-free:

All Mori-Nu Silken Tofu (8 varieties)

Mori-Nu Mates Chocolate Pudding Mix (Chocolate, Lemon Creme, and Vanilla)

We hope these answers have been helpful for you!

This was directly pastd from their site! I hope this helps!

Sincerely,

NoGluGirl

loco-ladi Contributor

OK, so i returned with some good gluten free stuff from the local grocery store, and I am sad to say I did not get the trix, the label scared me to death, so many things listed I had no clue about, will save that for next week.... did replace my swansons beef broth however as that label scared me as well, found a nice simple one! see the cooking section under "swansons broth"

But I got to thinking we should (if we dont have one already and I have missed it) a recipe exchange segmented a bit say chicken recipes, beef, vegan, each with their own little world so to speak, I know we have a baking section but something more organized sort of for finding say a recipe for that bag of taters you have in the cupboard waiting for a new and fresh use. something I missed so far or good idea or am I just being OCD at organizing again?

Lordy maybe we should produce our own recipe booklets, lets see this forum has OMG did anyone look at that number! 715 pages of members, if only half donated a recipe it would be a huge cookbook and we could sell it to the other half and make a huge profit, lol not to mention those who haven't found "us" yet!

:lol:

Guest j_mommy

BANANA BREAD:

On the back of the Ener-G Potato Starch Flour box is a recipe for Banana Bread....I have not tried it yet but am going to soon....waiting for bananas to be ripe enough!!!!!

kbabe1968 Enthusiast

You're in WI? I just looked for an Aldi - don't know if any near you.

they are CHEAP.

I get the corn tortillas from them (there are 36 in a bag for 89 cents).

I also get a lot of their vegetables and fresh foods...very very cheap. I get Romaine Hearts for $1.69 a three pack....most grocery stores are $4.99 IF I bought my groceries at a regular store, I'd never eat!

HEy....on your salads - you said you'd not feel well after - did you check your salad dressings?

They can be REALLY bad with gluten...a lot of them.

I make my own dressings now to avoid buying them...some of the Annie's Naturals are okay. And Kraft is good about listing allergens. I've been really having fun making my own though.

:)

isiskingdom Contributor

Kelly

homemade chocolate pudding? Do share!!

isiskingdom Contributor

You're in WI? I just looked for an Aldi - don't know if any near you.

they are CHEAP.

I get the corn tortillas from them (there are 36 in a bag for 89 cents).

I also get a lot of their vegetables and fresh foods...very very cheap. I get Romaine Hearts for $1.69 a three pack....most grocery stores are $4.99 IF I bought my groceries at a regular store, I'd never eat!

HEy....on your salads - you said you'd not feel well after - did you check your salad dressings?

They can be REALLY bad with gluten...a lot of them.

I make my own dressings now to avoid buying them...some of the Annie's Naturals are okay. And Kraft is good about listing allergens. I've been really having fun making my own though.

:)

I only use Kraft dressing. Thank you for the info

isiskingdom Contributor

Did anyone see the recipe for Velvet cupcakes on page 2 I think. It has wheat in it I wonder if we can use something else I'll repost the recipe its looks so good.

Kelly Ripa's Red Velvet Cupcakes & Cream Cheese Frosting

RED VELVET CUPCAKES

Ingredients:

1 stick butter

1/2 C. sugar

2 eggs

1 C. buttermilk

Archived