Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

wdwmaggie

Should Celiacs Do A Colon Cleanse?

I was reading about colon cleansing and I thought maybe I should do this becuase the gluten tore up my intestines for so many years. Any thoughts? Has anyone here ever done it?

Years ago I did have a few of these. Never helped me much - because my problem was gluten.

I was careful to go to a technician who was well recommended and who did NOT use the pressure method but just the gravity-flow.

I have not gone back. Somehow I don't think it's really necessary.

As long as you have regular bowel movements, it is completely unnecessary. Go to dr weil.com and see what he says. Some people may feel better, but it is completely psychological. dont do one.

In May of 2005 I tried a colon cleanse. After five days of it I got awfully sick with explosive watery diarrhea, horrendous bowel and stomach cramps, and pretty much went into shock on the toilet. I had chronic diarrhea for six months after that, which only stopped when finally I figured it out and eliminated gluten in October.

I know that the colon cleanse put me over the edge into full-blown celiac disease.

My opinion is, that unless your intestines have completely healed, you shouldn't risk it. It might make you sick again, rather than being helpful.

If you want to help healing, take digestive enzymes and a good probiotic, that makes more sense than a bowel cleanse at this point.

The colon packs stool and absorbs water back into the blood stream...can't see that adding watery fluids from below is a good thing :blink: for celiacs ......if you do a colon cleanser from above, you may be irritating the small intestine and creating excessive movement and cramps...so, no, I would not do it.