This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Made My First gluten-free Cookie

jmd3

jmd3 Contributor

Yesterday I went on a mission to get some gluten-free fours to blend together - I actually made chocolate chip cookies today - my first homemade item since I was diagnosed! It did feel good to bake again, but I am learning all over again and feel like fish out of water. the process was a bit overwhelming for me, and will probably take me a while to get this down and experimenting with different combinations of the gluten-free fours until I get a good blend.

Anyone have a good gluten-free Flour blend to share?

By the way, the second pan turned out better, then the first pan...but my family tells me they were good. I ended up making ice cream sandwiches out of them, and freezing them for another day.

I used the toll house receipe, and used 3 cups of gluten-free flour so they would be a bit cakey- and made them bigger so I could put ice cream in between 2 cookies.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

wowzer Community Regular

I have to agree that gluten free baking is a trial and error thing. Keep trying and it does kind of become fun.

blueeyedmanda Community Regular

Iced Cream sandwiches, sounds good.

JennyC Enthusiast

Cooking gluten free is like learning how to cook all over again! I use about 3 parts rice flour, 2 parts tapioca flour/starch and 1 part potato starch. I also add about 1 tsp xanthan gum for every 1.5 cups flour used unless otherwise directed. The more starches used the better.

I have made this recipe and it's pretty good. I'm pretty sure that I substituted some starch for some of the flour and I probably used white rice flour.

Troll House Cookies

Gluten Free Recipe

Ingredients:

1 cup butter

1/2 cup brown sugar

1 cup granulated sugar

Two eggs

1 teaspoon gluten free vanilla

1-1/2 cup brown rice flour

1/2 cup potato flour (not potato starch flour)

1 teaspoon baking soda

1 teaspoon salt

One package milk or semisweet chocolate chips

Directions:

Cream butter (can use dairy-free margarine or Crisco if necessary), sugars, eggs and vanilla.

Mix in dry ingredients, then chocolate chips.

Drop by rounded teaspoons onto un-greased cookie sheet.

Flatten very slightly with fork.

Bake between 350-375-degrees for 12 minutes or so (temperature and time vary by individual oven -- if yours bakes hot, use the lower temperature).

Remove from oven when lightly browned (they over-brown very quickly).

Remove to cooling rack after a few minutes.

Note: Also good with chopped nuts and/or shredded coconut.

Here's a recipe for gluten free rolls, but actually they taste more like the some of the best biscuits that I've ever had! They remind me of Red Lobster buscuits when I reduce the sugar, increase the salt, and add garlic and parsley.

Gluten Free Rolls

4 tbspn of shortening

3/4 tspn of vinegar

3/4 tspn of salt

2 tspn of xanthan gum

1 tbspn of baking powder

1/2 tspn of baking soda

1 c of cornstarch

1/2 c of potato starch

1 c of sour cream

1 packet of yeast (about 1 T

2 eggs )

3 tbspn of honey

Directions

MIx up all the ingredients real well to where there are no lumps.

Your going to want to wet your hands to handle dough.

Take about 1/4 cup of dough and shape into a ball.

Start placing it into a muffin tin or on a greased pan.

Preheat your oven to 350

bake the rolls for avbout 18-20 minutes.

Guhlia Rising Star

I use the same flour mix as Jenny: 3 parts white rice flour, 2 parts potato starch, 1 part tapioca starch... I add xantham gum always, with the amount depending on the type of recipe I'm making. Don't worry, gluten free baking becomes easy with a little practice. :)

For chocolate chip cookies try using a recipe that uses pudding mix. For some reason, vanilla pudding mix adds that extra moisture back into the cookies that the gluten free flours tend to take out. Plus, the cookies stay moist until they're moldy. Lol... They seem to last forever. Allrecipes.com has some really great cookie recipes. Just sub the flour mix above for all purpose flour and I think you'll be pleased. Don't forget the xantham gum!

jerseygrl Explorer

I've had real good luck substituting an equal amount of Garbanzo Bean flour for regular flour in the Toll House recipe.

Just don't taste the dough :P . However the cookie will be delish!

pedro Explorer

Hi.

Excellent for you. The first time is always the most time consuming. The next time is better. My wife and I we bake cookines for the girls. They love the chocolateship ones.

Wow great recipes from everyone. I am already hungry and is only 8:00 in the morning.

Le me write all of this recipes.

Baking with the entire family is fun. I've notice that the gluten-free diet or celiac has brought the family more closer. Like the three mosketeers " One for all, and all for one"

Everything happens for a reason

Good luck baking.

Have a great day everyone.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Cam's Mom Contributor

We LOVE gluten free chocolate chippers!! These are the best cookies I've ever mad (gluten or not!) the key ingredient is flax seed meal. Unfortunately this recipe is kind of fussy and if there is too much flour they turn out like little pucks and if you use too little they spread all over the pan. But if you hit it right you will be in heaven for several days as the recipe makes like 60 cookies. The recipe is adapted from Bette Hagman's Gluten Free Gourmet Cooks Dessert. Here it is:

Chocolate Chip Cookies

This recipe is very sensitive and will not come out well with substitutions. If the first pan baked seems to melt all over the pan add a bit of flax meal to the remaining dough.

Archived