This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

I Found gluten-free Tomato Sauce

little d

little d Enthusiast

Hi Ya'll

I just wanted to share that I found gluten-free Tomato sauce and tomato paste at Albertson's it is Del Monte Organic I was so surprise to find it that my daughter asked me what I was so happy about. We had totally gluten-free Spegetti the other night well did have regular bread with that so far so good well sort of. Also I have seen on here that people have written about that they have cheated with butter, I'm guessing that they are eating regular butter. I have been getting butter that is gluten-free and Lactose Free Smart Balance brand they also have gluten-free shredded cheese their oil I have not seen anything about gluten-free but is seems to be ok but to others who are very sick with celiac disease I don't know what the oil will do for you. I also enjoy drinking Glucers VitiminWater that is flavored water I wrote to the company to ask if they are gluten-free and they said yes I have not seen anything in the ingrediants that is on the don't eat list. But I did try a new Diet Coke that has new drink out that suppose to have vitimins in it well I started to drink it and have way I looked at the ingredients again and found what I think is Gluten in it Gluecomine I think it said, spelling is prob wrong. After I drank it and the rest of the night I had heartburn and stomachburn.

Just a little Info for Ya'll

Donna

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Kaycee Collaborator

Donna, I used to do a little dance when I found things that were gluten free. Yay, I can eat! I bet people thought I was crazy.

I think most plain tomato sauces are gluten free, I'd watch out for barbeque and steak sauces, tomato pastes are usually concentrated tomatoes with maybe a bit of salt. But still it pays to read lables all the time.

As for butter, butter is always gluten free, unless it is a flavoured butter or a butter substitute. But I think most of them would be gluten free too. People cheating with butter is a new one on me, maybe they are lactose intolerant and have cheated in that respect. But read labels, or contact the manufacturers as you have been doing.

I think all of the coke range is gluten free, but I can't be positive. I do know diet coke does not agree with me for some reason, and being on a diet it is hard work drinking regular coke, but it is nice.

Do you get the feeling that you will be doing a lot of label reading in the next few months?

Best of luck.

Cathy

grantschoep Contributor

Last I checked, Contadina Pizza Sauce was gluten-free. Though I swear I found that on their website.

Open Original Shared Link

Its not there anymore, so I may give them a call/email.

Let you know what I find out.

Later edit, ahh Del-Monte's site, parent company has the info

Open Original Shared Link

-grant

lonewolf Collaborator
We had totally gluten-free Spegetti the other night well did have regular bread with that so far so good well sort of.

Also I have seen on here that people have written about that they have cheated with butter, I'm guessing that they are eating regular butter.

Please don't eat "regular" bread. It's full of gluten and negates the gluten-free spaghetti. Feel free to ask lots of questions and we'll help you to get all the gluten out of your diet.

My signature says that I "cheat with butter". This has nothing to do with gluten. I'm sensitive to dairy, but do eat regular butter, though I probably shouldn't.

sickofit Newbie
Donna, I used to do a little dance when I found things that were gluten free. Yay, I can eat! I bet people thought I was crazy.

I think most plain tomato sauces are gluten free, I'd watch out for barbeque and steak sauces, tomato pastes are usually concentrated tomatoes with maybe a bit of salt. But still it pays to read lables all the time.

As for butter, butter is always gluten free, unless it is a flavoured butter or a butter substitute. But I think most of them would be gluten free too. People cheating with butter is a new one on me, maybe they are lactose intolerant and have cheated in that respect. But read labels, or contact the manufacturers as you have been doing.

I think all of the coke range is gluten free, but I can't be positive. I do know diet coke does not agree with me for some reason, and being on a diet it is hard work drinking regular coke, but it is nice.

Do you get the feeling that you will be doing a lot of label reading in the next few months?

Best of luck.

Cathy

I thought that coke had gluten because it has caramel coloring and caramel can have gluten. Anyone know for sure?

lovegrov Collaborator

Coke is gluten-free and the reality is that caramel color is also gluten-free -- at least in the U.S. and probably everywhere else as well.

Unfortunately there are too many old lists on the Internet and being passed out by doctors.

The safe and forbidden lists on the celiac.com homepage are pretty much accurate.

richard

blueeyedmanda Community Regular

It is a good thing Coke is gluten free, one beverage I need to make it through the day.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

JennyC Enthusiast
Coke is gluten-free and the reality is that caramel color is also gluten-free -- at least in the U.S. and probably everywhere else as well.

Unfortunately there are too many old lists on the Internet and being passed out by doctors.

The safe and forbidden lists on the celiac.com homepage are pretty much accurate.

richard

On the Clan Thompson site/software is says that caramel coloring is usually gluten-free unless used in meat containing products. Can anyone elaborate?

• 1 year later...
Nea Newbie

You were thrilled about finding gluten free tomato sauce, and then went on to eat regular bread. Eating regular bread would be far worse than getting the small amount of wheat you might find in tomato sauce, are you crazy?

Hi Ya'll

I just wanted to share that I found gluten-free Tomato sauce and tomato paste at Albertson's it is Del Monte Organic I was so surprise to find it that my daughter asked me what I was so happy about. We had totally gluten-free Spegetti the other night well did have regular bread with that so far so good well sort of. Also I have seen on here that people have written about that they have cheated with butter, I'm guessing that they are eating regular butter. I have been getting butter that is gluten-free and Lactose Free Smart Balance brand they also have gluten-free shredded cheese their oil I have not seen anything about gluten-free but is seems to be ok but to others who are very sick with celiac disease I don't know what the oil will do for you. I also enjoy drinking Glucers VitiminWater that is flavored water I wrote to the company to ask if they are gluten-free and they said yes I have not seen anything in the ingrediants that is on the don't eat list. But I did try a new Diet Coke that has new drink out that suppose to have vitimins in it well I started to drink it and have way I looked at the ingredients again and found what I think is Gluten in it Gluecomine I think it said, spelling is prob wrong. After I drank it and the rest of the night I had heartburn and stomachburn.

Just a little Info for Ya'll

Donna

MNBeth Explorer

When I read her comment about the bread, I assumed that her family was eating that, not her. Might that not be a possibility?

You were thrilled about finding gluten free tomato sauce, and then went on to eat regular bread. Eating regular bread would be far worse than getting the small amount of wheat you might find in tomato sauce, are you crazy?
Juliebove Rising Star
When I read her comment about the bread, I assumed that her family was eating that, not her. Might that not be a possibility?

I assumed she or whoever the gluten-free person was, was eating it and that made no sense to me. As for the tomato sauce, I have never seen any that has gluten in it. Now possibly a prepared sauce for pizza and pasta, but not plain tomato sauce.

Phyllis28 Apprentice

You have to read the ingredients but most plain tomato sauce is gluten free.

happygirl Collaborator

Important to note that the original posting in this thread is over a year old.

Archived