Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Nikki2003

Frustrating Food

Hi everyone,

I am so frustrated. My husband just got a powerbar for himself (he is not celiac) but we used to give them to my older dd to help her gain weight. I looked at the package and it says made on equipment that also processes wheat. When we got them for dd we got a big pack at sams club. And no where on there does it say that. Also are they suppose to put on package if it contains oats or not. Because it does not.

Thanks for listening, that just frustrates me.

Nicole- 3 yrs old Positive Celiac Blood test- 6/21/2006 //// Normal result: <20,,,Nicole-80

Positive Biopsy for Celiac- 7/17/2006

Gluten-Free Since - 7/22/2006

Alivia- 7 years- old Positive Celiac blood test-Aug. 2006////Normal result:<4,,,Alivia-32.

Biopsy showed positive for Celiac Disease and moderate to severe damage (Blood Work for both girls were done in different labs that is why they are different)

Gluten free since:Dec.2006

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Hi everyone,

I am so frustrated. My husband just got a powerbar for himself (he is not celiac) but we used to give them to my older dd to help her gain weight. I looked at the package and it says made on equipment that also processes wheat. When we got them for dd we got a big pack at sams club. And no where on there does it say that. Also are they suppose to put on package if it contains oats or not. Because it does not.

Thanks for listening, that just frustrates me.

I know you don't want to hear this (I groaned when I read it, too), but you have to check the ingredients on products every single time you buy them, because product ingredients can change. I had assumed that if a product was safe, it was safe forever, but it's not. I am very thankful to finally have a diagnosis after 40 years, but this disease is time consuming in some respects, isn't it?

Sadly, the label does not have to specify when barley, rye, or oats are also processed on the same equipment. The law only covers wheat. So it's really not a law on behalf of the gluten intolerant, but for those with a wheat allergy. Though I'd bet many whom are allergic to wheat are also allergic to some or all of the others, since they are closely related. Those other grains are also not going to be specified on the label like wheat and other common allergens either :angry:

A spherical meteorite 10 km in diameter traveling at 20 km/s has the kinetic energy equal to the calories in 550,000,000,000,000,000 Twinkies.

Hi - there are some other bars out there that are halfway decent that are gluten-free.

I have not found any that taste as good as Luna or PowerBars. However, here is a partial list. of course YMMV and it goes without saying to always check labels yourSELF and not take anyone's word that a packaged product is gluten-free.

LaraBars.

Clif Nectar Bars.

Hammer Nutrition food Bars.

SoyJoy.

thinkThin - haven't tried this but it comes in "brownie crunch' flavor - sounds promising.

FitSmart.

Organic Food Bar - I personally ate one of these - "Belgium Chocolate Chip" flavor, and I actually think a kid might like that one. it wasn't awful.

You may find some hints for PowerBar replacements on the Celiac Fitness forum. HTH

HEIDI